“Disappointed...bubble burst! Maybe the plant tour will change my mind if we go back.”

Lane Southern Orchards
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Since 1908, Lane Southern Orchards has planted, grown and harvested the best tasting peaches and pecans in Georgia. The farm includes 3,000 acres of peach orchards, 3,000 acres of pecan groves, and a 6 acre strawberry patch. Traveling through Middle Georgia? We're just five minutes off I-75 at Exit 142. Visit our roadside market, cafe and orchards. Try homemade favorites like peach ice cream and home-style cooking. Then grab a rocking chair for a relaxing break served up with genuine southern hospitality. Seasons: Strawberries: April-May Peaches: mid-May-August Farm Tours: June & July Blackberries & Blueberries: June & July Scuppernongs & Muscadines: July & August Corn Maze: October Pecans: Year Round Citrus: November-May
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

I have lived in Georgia for a long time, and even worked for the State government and local municipalities most of these years. I have ALWAYS wanted to go to Lane Packing, based on what I have heard about it.

Finally got there, after all of these years! I figured the plant tours were not running off-season, and I was right, I understand packing plantd and was not upset. Someday, I will get to see that peach and strawberry packing happen.

However, I was disappointed. Very disappointed. Lane Packing has a warm and friendly environment and staff, but I would recommend stopping here during peach season. I guess I just know some tricks of the trade, but what disappointed me the most was that all of their canned products were simply privately labeled "exclusively for Lane". Are they REALLY Lane/Fort Valley peaches? Who knows. Are they even Georgia peaches? Who knows. (Private labeling usually means someone else's product.) I recognized the private label peach cider right away--and from the various State Farmers Markets--one being near where we live.

We had wanted to eat at the cafe, but it was a long line of pay-first-then-eat patrons. (They had a special event going on in the parking lot, so most days the cafe is probsbly speedier. We opted for peach ice cream and fresh peach cobbler in the short line next to the cafe line. In my mind I expected both the ice cream and cobbler to be the best I have ever had because they were famous Lane peaches--but, both were lacking flavor of any kind. Crushed.

Their cookbooks, gifts and food products can be found all over Georgia. I guess I was expecting an original, one-of-a-kind experience, but it just felt like a copy of places I know well. High hopes. Bubble burst.

BUT....if you are travelling, need a place to stretch your legs, and like the road less traveled, Lane is a good stop. It is easy to find and about 8 miles off of I-75 at exit 142. There are unique peachy food products, fresh produce of the season, candy, fresh baked breads, gifts, a cafe, ice cream, cookies, cobbler and such. I am sure most people enjoy it. I was just expecting "more" with the stellar and strong reputation Lane has throughout the Georgia tourism network. Most people probably just don't care so it is a decent stop to make when traveling along I-75.

Mom note: open area ground level is pretty kid-friendly where the little ones can be a bit loud. Has an OK bathroom with changing station. Nice staff members.

2 Thank artMom93

Atlanta, Georgia
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Peaches Can Be Used in Everything!”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Stopped by here and checked out their shop - truly a nice place, and was amazed at the variety of items that peaches can be used in! Of course had to buy a few things while we were there, and even the produce they had out looked really good. Next time we'll spend more time there and have a meal!

Hawkinsville, Georgia
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Always nice”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Great for a school field trip or a Christmas Luncheon with friends. The orchards and factory contribute to a GREAT learning experience. The café has great food with a cute little Peach gift shop.

Visited December 2012
Gainesville, Georgia
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Beautiful Orchards and great shop and cafe”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I hate to hear anyone say they find local growers and farmers showcasing their produce and supporting the local economy "Disappointing". It's an orchard not Disney! This place is gorgeous and so well done. The fried pies and pecan bread are outstanding. I made French toast with the pecan cinnamon bread and my family went nuts! The market is well organized with a huge variety of unique treats. They offer samples of many of their items and even offer a wine tasting of some GA wines. Friendly staff and cute but small non food gift section. Absolutely worth a visit. Support your local growers!!! Lane is first class!!!

Warner Robins, Georgia
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 135 helpful votes
“Great cafe and fun stop”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We come here to eat often. We love the cafe and the peach ice cream is the best! I also enjoy the peach lemonade and get a giant cup so I can drink my fill and take some to go. During different parts of the season there are peach orchard tours, you can walk through the packing factory, there is pick your own strawberries as well. During the fall they have pumpkins (not sure if that is every year), a corn maize, and different festivals. We love Lanes Southern Orchards!!

Visited September 2013