“It's trying to be upscale- but then again it's Gainesville”
Review of Scott's Downtown

Scott's Downtown
Reserve with OpenTable
Scott's Downtown is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 253 Restaurants in Gainesville
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: West Academy Street
Description: Casual Fine Dining in a comfortable atmosphere is the best way to describe Gainesville's premier Downtown eatery. Great food prepared with attention to detail, an unparalleled wine list and the best wait staff North of Atlanta are some of the hallmarks of Scott's. We are located in downtown Gainesville in the historic Pilgrim Estes building. Our menu offers a wide range of choices from USDA Prime, hand cut steaks, the freshest seafood and local produce with seasonally inspired weekly specials. With a wine list of over 150 wines,many by the glass you will certainly be able to find a perfect match for your menu selection. Enjoy one of our five private dining rooms for two to celebrate that special occasion or one of our larger rooms for social and business events. We have dinner hours, live entertainment on the weekends and lunch hours during the week. Our new bar and lounge is now opened! We are Atlanta & North Georgia's best kept secret!
Atlanta, Georgia
“It's trying to be upscale- but then again it's Gainesville”
Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

I've travelled the world and had the plrasure of dining at really sophisticated restaurants. I would say Scotts is a "small town attempt at American upperscale dining". The menu is decidedly American taste, the decor is "clean" but bland. The service is the worst part-slow... Although friendly.

Overall, steaks are the best choice. Portions are limited. Price is somewhat on the higher side. Two people: rack of lamb, steak, bottle of wine = $150

The only reason I've been there twice is because it's the only "upscale" restaurant within 20 minutes driving from my house; amd sometimes we just dont want to drive to Atlanta for dinner.

In all fairness, I must add that overall, food quality in Georgia is less than California or Miami for example. I've lived here for 4 years and unless it's an organic/local sourced kitchen, food taste is deficient.

• Visited May 2013

Braselton, Georgia
“Stay Away”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I would not eat there if my life depended on it. It projects itself as an upscale restaurant by its decor but the service and attitude of the owner and staff is below third class and the food by my standards is terrible and overpriced. I am a regular customer of restaurants in the square and fine dinning in Atlanta. I would go to Yellowfin or Recess if I was eating in the square in Gainesville.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank world t
Dothan, Alabama
“I really wanted to like this place!”
Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

I was really excited about the prospects of a great upscale restaurant in quaint little Gainesville ga. Walked in the door and the place is stunning. There was a jazz duo playing in the back corner and only 6 tables were full. It was a little late in the evening so I guessed that the main croud was finished and that I had the place to myself! I ordered a salad and glass of wine and the wait began. Got the wine with my salad and never could make eye contact with my waitress again! 25 minutes went buy...checked Facebook...drudge report...sent a few emailed...found another waitress...handed her the Amex...apologized to the hosted fo being under dressed! I was wearing shorts but with a fresh tommy bahama silk shirt and a Rolex...maybe she was just having a bad day! Walked across the street to yellowfin and had some great fish tacos and a mojito! Being the foodie that I am...I will give Scott's another try. Just one!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank jubileepeyton
Florida USA
“Scott's rated 23rd behind chain alternatives ????? !!!!!!!”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I have been going to Scott's for several years with friends at both the old and new location. What a pleasant surpride in downtown Gaineville. From the first time we went Scott has come to our table at least once and really wanted to know how our food and service was. This is a hands on owner. The menu is world class and I say that with some experience, and is revised regularly. My wife requires a special diet and he made her a vegitable plate to order. This is involvement I don't often see but greatly appreciate. There are private dining tables for two in small alcoves which you seldom see outside larger cities offering a special treat for couples who are celebrating a special occations. In addition, there are also private rooms for small groups including an upstairs for much larger events such as weddings. Having reviewed restaurants for Trip advisor on a number of occasions I cannot see how Scott's is rated 23rd? If it were in Atlanta or even Palm Beach it would be among the top but in Gainesville not so. Regardless my private trip advisor rating is number one or 4.9

• Visited August 2013
Buford, Georgia
“What a FINE dining experience!!”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We just discovered Gainesville GA, the downtown area. Had no idea WHERE to go eat. Went online, read reviews, looked at restaurant pics....decided on SCOTT'S DOWNTOWN. Wow, did we pick the right one :). The atmosphere is beautiful....airy, hard wood floors, lovely lighting, paintings and romantic little rooms off the big open dining room (where we sat). We were seated by a sweet hostess named Mara, had a great waitress named Jan and the owner, Scott, came by and introduced himself (a really nice touch!) and welcomed us. There was a sax player, Dan I think, who was really playing some smooth jazz (we even bought his CD). But the best part was the food!!! We had the crab, tuna, seafood tower appetizer. We have had this before other places.....but this was awesome! I had a beautiful blueberry/balsamic dressing with my spinach salad (delicious, with warm Brie, pears and candied pecans!) and my husband LOVED his seafood paella......all with tasty bread and butter. We wanted to get dessert, but since we were clean platers, had to decline :) They also have a big lounge in the back that looked fun, we will try that next! To describe this restaurant, my 4 words would be......BEAUTIFUL, DELICIOUS,ROMANTIC and PERFECT. Thank you, SCOTT'S !
Sheri and Chuck Sevenich