“Not worth it, bad service, not great food”
Review of Scott's Downtown

Scott's Downtown
Reserve with OpenTable
Scott's Downtown is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 246 Restaurants in Gainesville
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: West Academy Street
Description: Casual Fine Dining in a comfortable atmosphere is the best way to describe Gainesville's premier Downtown eatery. Great food prepared with attention to detail, an unparalleled wine list and the best wait staff North of Atlanta are some of the hallmarks of Scott's. We are located in downtown Gainesville in the historic Pilgrim Estes building. Our menu offers a wide range of choices from USDA Prime, hand cut steaks, the freshest seafood and local produce with seasonally inspired weekly specials. With a wine list of over 150 wines,many by the glass you will certainly be able to find a perfect match for your menu selection. Enjoy one of our five private dining rooms for two to celebrate that special occasion or one of our larger rooms for social and business events. We have dinner hours, live entertainment on the weekends and lunch hours during the week. Our new bar and lounge is now opened! We are Atlanta & North Georgia's best kept secret!
“Not worth it, bad service, not great food”
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

I've eaten at there former spot it was pretty good. The new warehouse location isn't too good. The downstairs bar area is dank and our food was bad. But, we had a large business function so I didn't expect too much from wings and finger foods. But not good.
Last month we (me,wife and daughter) ate upstairs. We had an (2) appetizers 2 glasses of house wine each, 2 meals, my wife shared our meals (kinda) and the bill was $125 without a tip.
The plates were laughable. I ordered the $38 seafood special with shrimp, scallops and grouper. I excepted to be able to share at that price. I received a thin and small piece of Pre-frozen grouper. The kind you get at SAMs. The second plate had 3 shrimp and 3 scallops resting on toast, with garnish. No pop whatsoever... Really, this is your evenings signature dish?
We sat without water or anything to drink for 12 -15 minutes. I finally got up and asked the hostess if she could help get us water.
This should summarize it - I was given a gift card for my birthday for there - I don't know if I will return to eat there. Yeah, that bad.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Wakesal

Atlanta, Georgia
“It's trying to be upscale- but then again it's Gainesville”
Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

I've travelled the world and had the plrasure of dining at really sophisticated restaurants. I would say Scotts is a "small town attempt at American upperscale dining". The menu is decidedly American taste, the decor is "clean" but bland. The service is the worst part-slow... Although friendly.

Overall, steaks are the best choice. Portions are limited. Price is somewhat on the higher side. Two people: rack of lamb, steak, bottle of wine = $150

The only reason I've been there twice is because it's the only "upscale" restaurant within 20 minutes driving from my house; amd sometimes we just dont want to drive to Atlanta for dinner.

In all fairness, I must add that overall, food quality in Georgia is less than California or Miami for example. I've lived here for 4 years and unless it's an organic/local sourced kitchen, food taste is deficient.

• Visited May 2013
Braselton, Georgia
“Stay Away”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I would not eat there if my life depended on it. It projects itself as an upscale restaurant by its decor but the service and attitude of the owner and staff is below third class and the food by my standards is terrible and overpriced. I am a regular customer of restaurants in the square and fine dinning in Atlanta. I would go to Yellowfin or Recess if I was eating in the square in Gainesville.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank world t
Dothan, Alabama
“I really wanted to like this place!”
Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

I was really excited about the prospects of a great upscale restaurant in quaint little Gainesville ga. Walked in the door and the place is stunning. There was a jazz duo playing in the back corner and only 6 tables were full. It was a little late in the evening so I guessed that the main croud was finished and that I had the place to myself! I ordered a salad and glass of wine and the wait began. Got the wine with my salad and never could make eye contact with my waitress again! 25 minutes went buy...checked Facebook...drudge report...sent a few emailed...found another waitress...handed her the Amex...apologized to the hosted fo being under dressed! I was wearing shorts but with a fresh tommy bahama silk shirt and a Rolex...maybe she was just having a bad day! Walked across the street to yellowfin and had some great fish tacos and a mojito! Being the foodie that I am...I will give Scott's another try. Just one!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank jubileepeyton
Florida USA
“Scott's rated 23rd behind chain alternatives ????? !!!!!!!”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I have been going to Scott's for several years with friends at both the old and new location. What a pleasant surpride in downtown Gaineville. From the first time we went Scott has come to our table at least once and really wanted to know how our food and service was. This is a hands on owner. The menu is world class and I say that with some experience, and is revised regularly. My wife requires a special diet and he made her a vegitable plate to order. This is involvement I don't often see but greatly appreciate. There are private dining tables for two in small alcoves which you seldom see outside larger cities offering a special treat for couples who are celebrating a special occations. In addition, there are also private rooms for small groups including an upstairs for much larger events such as weddings. Having reviewed restaurants for Trip advisor on a number of occasions I cannot see how Scott's is rated 23rd? If it were in Atlanta or even Palm Beach it would be among the top but in Gainesville not so. Regardless my private trip advisor rating is number one or 4.9

• Visited August 2013