“Worst Ritz Carlton ever. Avoid this hotel!”

The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Greensboro
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The only way to get to this remote location is via car (1 1/2 hours from Atlanta). Yet despite being located on many, many acres, this hotel charges $25 per day per car to valet park and does not offer you the option to self park unless you complain vehemently. It also baffles me when an expensive hotel charges guests for Internet access ($15 per day per room) when lower priced hotels and motels provide it free of charge. But even being a loyal Ritz Carlton rewards club member gets you NOTHING at this facility. They only offered me the option of paying a $40 per day per room resort fee vs paying $25 plus $15 - as if that was some kind of deal!!! If it wasn't so ridiculous it might have been funny.

We were attending a wedding being held at this property with approximately 250 guests. Nonetheless management did nothing to accommodate the wedding guests in any way. We got turn down service only 1 of the 2 nights. I had to call for extra bath towels as the used ones left on the floor were not picked up. The hair dryer in our bathroom was broken. The bedside lamp was missing its turn on/off switch. The pool is lined with wall to wall lounge chairs, so don't expect any personal space whatsoever if you are sitting poolside.

The final insult was that on the night of the wedding, the air conditioning in their grand ballroom was malfunctioning leaving 250 wedding guests quote uncomfortable. It was obvious that there was a problem as soon as we walked in as the room was warm and stuffy. No one did anything to alleviate the problem.

This property is clearly poorly run and should not be affiliated with the Ritz name. While it might be voted # 1 in this location, trust me that is because there are very few other options.

If you are coming here and expecting to be treated as you might be at other Ritz properties, I suggest you cancel your reservation and go elsewhere.

Room Tip: We stayed in rooms 201 and 203. A tent was set up just outside our rooms to host a conference cockt...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank woodmom
ralph v, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Mrs. Woodmom,

Thank you for taking my call today, I apologize once again for your experience while visiting our resort on Lake Oconee, but appreciate your detailed feedback so that we may learn from our mistakes. As I stated, there is no defending the indefensible.

Please know that it is our sincere commitment not only to meet but exceed our guests expectations, please forgive me for failing you in this commitment.

The best to you and yours for a Happy 4th Holiday.

Ralph Vick

Reviewed 26 June 2014

This was a great hotel to relax the week away. Even though we went on a business/personal trip, it was really nice. The food was wonderful, the hotel staff was accommodating, and the weather held out to be beautiful, especially since we had a couple of outdoor functions. The Spa was absolutely wonderful!! The restaurants were great! The hotel rooms were comfortable for sure!! We even went on a pontoon boat ride on the lake, fabulous! The Ritz lived up to its name.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank dixiedarling123
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This place was fantastic. The service was great and the grounds are beautiful. I recommend this place to anyone who lives in Georgia and wants to get a way from a nice and relaxing weekend. There is a lot to do; jet skis, paddle boats, the pool, and the spa. One thing I especially liked was the hammocks that they had randomly throughout the site. My first morning there, I got up and went outside, and laid in a hammock for about an hour. It was very relaxing. There are also three great restaurants on site. The only thing that was slightly annoying was when we went to the steakhouse with out reservations, we had to sit outside, even though the steakhouse was only 25% full and remained that way the whole night. When we sat down it wasn't a big deal though because we ate overlooking the golf course and were able to watch the sun set.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This place is obviously worthy of the Ritz-Carlton brand name. Everything seems to be well thought out and the staff really enjoy your presence. That all comes with a price obviously but if you can afford a Ritz this is certainly going to hit your expectations. This place is seems to be a weekend resort for many Atlanta families and there is a ton to do for everyone.

The fire pit at night is fantastic and can't say enough for the whole pool setup, they do a good job and everyone is extremely attentive and friendly.

All in all it's one of those place I would definitely visit again, however probably not until I have young kids. Not quite the place I'd go for a relaxing/romantic weekend with the wife but rather would be a great trip with another couple or a few friends.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I hate that I did not have a good experience because I wanted to and I am a Marriott fan, but I didn't. Fortunately there was a nice Italian restaurant not too far away with delicious food and great service, as well as a nice wine shop, so that helped somewhat. Other guests may have had a different experience but unfortunately I left unhappy. I do expect professionalism, attention to detail, and I did not find that here. Between this Ritz and Key Biscayne it was night and day. If Violetta from the concierge floor at KB worked here she could teach them a few things (in fact, the entire KB staff should just be the Ritz model because they're all fabulous).

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank x7p3p
ralph v, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear x7p3p,

Thank you for posting your experience on TripAdvisor and I apologize that your visit did not meet your expectations. If you would be so kind, I would love to talk with you directly in order to obtain some details as to the nature of your dissatisfaction so that we can improve.

Please contact me at your convenience at my direct line at the resort. 706-467-7040

Sincerely yours,

Ralph Vick

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Spent long weekend at Ritz Carlton Reynolds Plantation on a real estate visit as was shocked to find such a lovely setting basically in the middle of nowhere. Located between Atlanta and Augusta off I-20 would not know it was there if didn't have prior knowledge. Beautiful property on beautiful lake setting. More like a Montana lodge than typical intercity ritz. Big weekend family draw with lots to do. Food, service excellent as expected and rooms fresh and spotless. Reynolds Plantation was incredible jewel for the area. Very unique setting and as MetLife as owner a very stable environment . Sold!!

Room Tip: Club level lake view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Not a beach resort or a big city of things to do BUT...... if you enjoy getting away form the rush, being pampered by staff this could be the place. Just a hour's plus drive outside Atlanta, well worth the drive.

Room Tip: Our group always does the "Club Floor" , it's like have your own suite with snacks...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank coachd13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greensboro
The Lodge on Lake Oconee
#3 of 6 in Madison
Hampton Inn Milledgeville
Hampton Inn Milledgeville
#1 of 10 in Milledgeville

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee? Share your experiences!