“Not what you would expect from a Ritz Carlton” 3 of 5 bubbles

The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Greensboro
GreenLeadersGold level
Canton, Georgia
“Not what you would expect from a Ritz Carlton”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Went for a wedding this June. Way to crowded around the pool. Not big enough for the number of rooms. Service in the restaurant was sloooww. $19.00 for a grilled cheese!!! The rooms are small and the walls are thin so if you want to sleep in it's almost impossible with the slamming doors and voices down the hallway. Food was just average that was served at the wedding.

• Stayed June 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ralph v, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear TLCousins,

Thanks for your response regarding your recent visit, your comments are valuable and much appreciated.

As to the size of the pool area and availability of pool chairs, etc., this concern has been made on many occasions and I'm happy to report that we are finalizing plans to enhance/expand the pool deck area for next season. You concern about guest room noise has been a historic concern, but was addressed with the addition of a new wall between guest rooms during our room renovation last year, so your comment does come as some surprise here. We will research your particular room to see what else might be the cause.

In any event, thanks for your comments and we hope that we have another chance to be of better service during a future visit to Lake Oconee.

Best Regards,

Ralph Vick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

We are very loyal Marriott customers. We booked a weekend break expecting a five star Marriott experience. We were very disappointed for several reasons. On the positive side our room, the location and the lobby were lovely and we had a fantastic round of golf at Great Waters golf club.

The negatives started with children being allowed to run through the relaxation area of the spa. We had dinner in The Linger Longer Steak House. We ordered their special rib eye steak on the bone. We took the waiters advice and ordered the steak medium rare. Unfortunately, it did not arrive at our table medium rare. It was undercooked. We ate the steak. Our mistake, I was subsequently ill with an upset stomach during the night! The following day my husband had lunch at Gaby's by the Lake. The food was fine, but the waitress forgot to bring the beer my husband ordered. The final straw was despite paying a resort fee, our bill included a charge for valet parking. This was subsequently removed. We also received a refund for our meal at Linger Longer Steak house, but despite completing a post stay questionnaire expressing our dissatisfaction we have not received an apology from the resort for the lack of service and a stay that was spoilt by my illness.

Not the customer service or experience you would expect from a 5 star Ritz. We have been far more impressed with the 3 star residence inn hotels. Don't waste your money.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank carolhooper
Dear Carolhooper,

Thank you for taking the time to alert us on your recent stay, as disappointing as it was. Let me first apologize for not meeting your expectations. We do consider ourselves to be a very "family friendly" resort, especially this time of year. We did hear of your Linger Longer Restaurant experience and investigated immediately upon notification, fortunately we did not encounter any other concerns relating to the food. I am glad however my staff took the time to adjust your billing as referenced as a courtesy.

I hope that we have another opportunity to fulfill your expectations in the future, if I can ever be of service please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Best regards,

northern nj
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

The only way to get to this remote location is via car (1 1/2 hours from Atlanta). Yet despite being located on many, many acres, this hotel charges $25 per day per car to valet park and does not offer you the option to self park unless you complain vehemently. It also baffles me when an expensive hotel charges guests for Internet access ($15 per day per room) when lower priced hotels and motels provide it free of charge. But even being a loyal Ritz Carlton rewards club member gets you NOTHING at this facility. They only offered me the option of paying a $40 per day per room resort fee vs paying $25 plus $15 - as if that was some kind of deal!!! If it wasn't so ridiculous it might have been funny.

We were attending a wedding being held at this property with approximately 250 guests. Nonetheless management did nothing to accommodate the wedding guests in any way. We got turn down service only 1 of the 2 nights. I had to call for extra bath towels as the used ones left on the floor were not picked up. The hair dryer in our bathroom was broken. The bedside lamp was missing its turn on/off switch. The pool is lined with wall to wall lounge chairs, so don't expect any personal space whatsoever if you are sitting poolside.

The final insult was that on the night of the wedding, the air conditioning in their grand ballroom was malfunctioning leaving 250 wedding guests quote uncomfortable. It was obvious that there was a problem as soon as we walked in as the room was warm and stuffy. No one did anything to alleviate the problem.

This property is clearly poorly run and should not be affiliated with the Ritz name. While it might be voted # 1 in this location, trust me that is because there are very few other options.

If you are coming here and expecting to be treated as you might be at other Ritz properties, I suggest you cancel your reservation and go elsewhere.

Room Tip: We stayed in rooms 201 and 203. A tent was set up just outside our rooms to host a conference cockt...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank woodmom
Dear Mrs. Woodmom,

Thank you for taking my call today, I apologize once again for your experience while visiting our resort on Lake Oconee, but appreciate your detailed feedback so that we may learn from our mistakes. As I stated, there is no defending the indefensible.

Please know that it is our sincere commitment not only to meet but exceed our guests expectations, please forgive me for failing you in this commitment.

The best to you and yours for a Happy 4th Holiday.

Pembroke Pines, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

This was a great hotel to relax the week away. Even though we went on a business/personal trip, it was really nice. The food was wonderful, the hotel staff was accommodating, and the weather held out to be beautiful, especially since we had a couple of outdoor functions. The Spa was absolutely wonderful!! The restaurants were great! The hotel rooms were comfortable for sure!! We even went on a pontoon boat ride on the lake, fabulous! The Ritz lived up to its name.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank dixiedarling123
Athens, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

This place was fantastic. The service was great and the grounds are beautiful. I recommend this place to anyone who lives in Georgia and wants to get a way from a nice and relaxing weekend. There is a lot to do; jet skis, paddle boats, the pool, and the spa. One thing I especially liked was the hammocks that they had randomly throughout the site. My first morning there, I got up and went outside, and laid in a hammock for about an hour. It was very relaxing. There are also three great restaurants on site. The only thing that was slightly annoying was when we went to the steakhouse with out reservations, we had to sit outside, even though the steakhouse was only 25% full and remained that way the whole night. When we sat down it wasn't a big deal though because we ate overlooking the golf course and were able to watch the sun set.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

This place is obviously worthy of the Ritz-Carlton brand name. Everything seems to be well thought out and the staff really enjoy your presence. That all comes with a price obviously but if you can afford a Ritz this is certainly going to hit your expectations. This place is seems to be a weekend resort for many Atlanta families and there is a ton to do for everyone.

The fire pit at night is fantastic and can't say enough for the whole pool setup, they do a good job and everyone is extremely attentive and friendly.

All in all it's one of those place I would definitely visit again, however probably not until I have young kids. Not quite the place I'd go for a relaxing/romantic weekend with the wife but rather would be a great trip with another couple or a few friends.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I hate that I did not have a good experience because I wanted to and I am a Marriott fan, but I didn't. Fortunately there was a nice Italian restaurant not too far away with delicious food and great service, as well as a nice wine shop, so that helped somewhat. Other guests may have had a different experience but unfortunately I left unhappy. I do expect professionalism, attention to detail, and I did not find that here. Between this Ritz and Key Biscayne it was night and day. If Violetta from the concierge floor at KB worked here she could teach them a few things (in fact, the entire KB staff should just be the Ritz model because they're all fabulous).

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank x7p3p
ralph v, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear x7p3p,

Thank you for posting your experience on TripAdvisor and I apologize that your visit did not meet your expectations. If you would be so kind, I would love to talk with you directly in order to obtain some details as to the nature of your dissatisfaction so that we can improve.

Please contact me at your convenience at my direct line at the resort. 706-467-7040

Sincerely yours,

Ralph Vick
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greensboro
The Lodge on Lake Oconee
#2 of 10 in Milledgeville
Quality Inn Madison
Quality Inn Madison
#5 of 6 in Madison

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee? Share your experiences!