“Poor Customer Service, but Beautiful Place to Visit”

The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Greensboro
GreenLeadersGold level
Roswell
“Poor Customer Service, but Beautiful Place to Visit”
Reviewed 5 November 2006

This is a great place to go & get pampered. The spa was great but the hotel service left alot to be desired. There was not a concierge to be found at 5:30 PM in the evening and when we asked the receptionist to locate a concierge for us, she seemed irritated. Then when tried to get our car from the valet service, we waited for over 15 minutes. The valet team mis-communicated who was going to get our car and no one ended up getting it until we asked about the status a few minutes later. Lastly, my husband had no hot water to take a shower on Sunday morning at 10:30am. I also thought the noise level was a little high but that might be because we were on the 3rd floor (the walk-in level). I loved the spa & the service there was impeccable. I only wish the hotel service levels matched that of the spa. I would recommend this hotel to my friends for the beautiful grounds and spa, but I don't think the service lives up to the Ritz name.

• Liked — spa
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed November 2006
3 Thank Yang_Yin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Houston, TX
Reviewed 5 November 2006

This is such a lovely setting on Lake Oconee. Rooms are nice, but we did have a few issues. Usually at a RItz property you are greeted and given royal treatment. Maybe our timing was off but the only valet was busy and flustered. We had slow service in the restaurant by the lake and had to go looking for our waiter to get the bill.
Our breakfast order was lost but when we called to report it they were very polite and compted it. The toilet was not operating and we had a burned out light. The repairman came quickly and the matter was resolved.
One day was quite rainy, so the casual restaurant by the lake was closed and the other restaurant in the building was closed for lunch, so the only option for lunch was the lobby bar. The food was good but you are eating at a coffee table or small chairside table. I would recommend the club level if at all possible. We were not able to get a chub level room, but it would have been worth the money since there are so few options for meals. The food was Ok at Linger Longer and Georgia's. We found the service better in Georgia's and the menu more interesting but Linger Longer is the more popular restaurant. It is a short walk from the Lodge whereas Georgia's is in the building. You must make reservations early for these on the weekends. We called on Tuesday before the weekend we arrived and had to go at 6 or 8:45.
There is a lovely Manager's reception with free coctails and snacks from 6-7 on Friday evening. No one told us about this and we just happened to stop by for a drink before dinner right at the end of the hour.
The spa is wonderful and you pay the top resort prices. I spent most of the rainy day in there relaxing, working out and pampering myself.
We had several experiences with less friendly staff. I finally got tired of this by the last night. I asked the front desk woman to please print my boarding pass. She took my confirmation number and never looked at me or spoke.
I wrote the guest relations employee a letter and left it with the front desk when we left but I have not heard from her. I would have thought a response might have arrived in a week.
I think we had some less than favorable experiences but the facility is wonderful and we enjoyed our stay for the most part. It was totally relaxing. The lobby is a comfortable setting with real wood burning fires. The rooms are lovely. For the price and the name Ritz, I had hoped for better service.

• Liked — setting
  • Disliked — restaurants
  • Tips/Secrets — be prepared with meal reservations
5 Thank jsk
McKinney, TX
Reviewed 26 October 2006

I stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Lodge, Reynolds Plantation on Lake Oconee October 24 – 27, while attending a 100 person meeting/conference. Here’s what I would want to know about this resort.

1.From Atlanta’s Hartsfield Airport it was 75 minutes, mid-afternoon, with no traffic, 80-MPH. It’s a scenic drive, almost all high-way. It could be much longer if you are in rush hour traffic, so I recommend a mid-day arrival and departure from Atlanta’s Hartsfield airport. If you have a corporate jet, Greensboro, GA airport is just a few minutes from the Resort.

2.The resort has a luxurious lodge look and feel. The developers spared no expense, with beautiful landscaping, richly appointed furniture, fixtures and equipment, and combined with Ritz-Carlton management and service levels, this is a top-notch resort.

3.The guest rooms are luxuriously appointed with a big desk, 2-line speaker phone, high speed Internet access, in-room safe, Bose wave stereo, marble bathroom loaded with up-scale amenities, i.e. the works. The lobby level is the third floor, so a third floor guest room eliminates most of the elevator usage. I had room 208, which looks out over the lawn, pool and onto Lake Oconee.

4.I didn’t eat in any of the restaurants because it was a group meeting with all group meals. The meals prepared for the group were superb, on par with expectations for Ritz-Carltons and Four Seasons Resorts.

5.The Fitness Center is well equipped and was not crowded. The Spa is first rate. I had a deep tissue massage. Schedule a massage with Sayward, she’s great.

6.Shopping is limited to a couple of on-property boutiques, spa shop and pro shop.

This resort is excellent for a group meeting, and would also be a great destination for a romantic getaway, golf/spa trip with friends, and a great place for a family/extended family vacation.

I hope this report helps.

• Liked — Ritz-Carlton service
  • Disliked — Distance from the airport
  • Tips/Secrets — Third floor guest room
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled on business
6 Thank STC
new jersey
Reviewed 17 October 2006

We stayed at the Reynold's Plantation, a Ritz Carlton property for a long weekend as part of wedding festivities. A rather lengthy drive from the airport, this destination was worth every mile! The property is warm, inviting and while big, surprisingly cozy. On the night of arrival we dined at the outdoor restaurant and had a lovely dinner by the outdoor fire place.

Our suite was well appointed with two very large bathrooms, a bed that simply made you want to jump in a stay there and a comfy sitting area. We were able to watch a gorgeous sunrise on our balcony that overlooked the lake -- just beautiful and very romantic.

The spa is wonderful as well. Lots of lovely treatment rooms an enormous indoor pool and a spa cafe. The pool is impressive as it is set in a lodge style setting.

We had the chance to sample the cuisine at Georgia's and enjoyed breakfast in bed on one morning -- both experiences were flawless. The menu is varried and everything we tried was just right.

The staff at this venue are first rate -- while you don't feel like they are on you all the time (which is an annoying trait at some top resorts) here, it is understated -- they tend to anticipate before you even ask!

Free smores around a fire pit at night, kayak rentals, bike rentals and golf are just a few other nice amenities here. However, our fave was the chiminea dinner served lakeside -- super romantic.

Cannot wait to return to this property -- incredibly relaxing.

• Liked — The views are breathtaking.
  • Disliked — cheesy shampoos and conditioners -- for a Ritz property, sub par!
  • Tips/Secrets — The temperature can change drastically. Also, lots of outdoorsy activities, dress accodingly.
3 Thank scooby19
Worcester, MA
Reviewed 10 October 2006

Stayed at the Ritz for three nights in early October. An optimal time if you don't like crowds. Very quiet. As with our other Ritz experience, the staff can't do enough for you, seem always genuinely pleasant. Rooms were first class. Dedicated walking/jogging trails. We don't golf, but course appeared in great shape. Only negative as you are out in nowhere is no DVD or video players in room; asked if we could rent a DVD player and were told it would cost $100; could have purchased one for less. Well, one other negative is paying for parking, which is valet only. Since this is isolated property, the requirement for valet only seems unnecessary; having an option of self-parking as one can do at the Ritz in Naples, Fl should be available.

• Liked — Wonderful atmosphere, helpful staff
  • Disliked — Charging for parking and no DVD/VIdeo players in rooms
3 Thank JW/SB
Atlanta
Reviewed 1 September 2006

My husband stayed here for a week attending a conference and I joined him for the last 2 days. This hotel is very consistent with other RC's in terms of service and quality.

It is important to keep in mind that the primary activities at the resort are golf, tennis, and the lake. Also, there are a few small towns in the area that are a small drive away.

The decor is very reminiscent of an old lodge.

During my stay, I did enjoy a massage at their spa. I had a very enjoyable experience and definitely recommend the spa.

My only negative comment is regarding parking. Since the hotel is in a remote location, you almost have to drive by car. Unfortunately, there is no self-parking at the hotel - only valet, which they charge a fee for. With a resort with so much land, you would think they would have self-parking as an option.

• Liked — Ritz Carlton Quality
  • Disliked — Location
  • Tips/Secrets — For reasonable off-site dining options, explore the small nearby towns.
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled on business
3 Thank jgrossman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greensboro
The Lodge on Lake Oconee
#3 of 6 in Madison
Comfort Suites Milledgeville
Comfort Suites Milledgeville
#2 of 10 in Milledgeville

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee? Share your experiences!