“Phenomenal”
Review of Maison LaVigne

Maison LaVigne
Ranked #1 of 1 Hapeville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I'm not sure I can recommend a bed and breakfast any higher than I'd recommend this one. Our one-night stay was incredible, despite my unconscious attempts to sabotage it. Let me explain.

My mom and I showed up on Eileen's doorstep a few Fridays ago. A little sign in the door said to call her when we got there - she was just up the street at her little cafe. So we called, and I said we had a reservation, and she said she just didn't see it in the book, but she'd be right up, and we'd figure it out. Now, I should tell you, at this point I was about 7 months pregnant, and what they say about your brain going buh-bye when you're pregnant is all. absolutely. true. Anyway, my mom gave me the side-eye while we waited, and asked, "Did you book the right day?" I scoffed, and looked at the reservation just to make sure. Lo and behold, NO. I had booked it for the wrong Friday.

So when Eileen showed up and I told her what I'd done, she laughed and gave me a hug and said not to worry, we'd figure it out, and oh my god I was so pregnant I needed to get in out of the heat and drink some water. She was nothing but gracious and funny about the whole situation...not even the slightest bit annoyed or difficult.

She said she had a British family coming in that night, but she could still accommodate us...come to find out, she could accommodate us because she gave us one of the Brits' rooms and gave them her amazing personal bedroom/bathroom...while she slept on the couch. She said later that it was totally fine, she kept her room in order to be rented out in situations like this and it was no big deal, but come on. SHE SLEPT ON THE COUCH.

In the morning, she made us all an amazing breakfast in her gorgeous kitchen, and it was really lovely to chat with not only the British family, but with Eileen and her daughter, too (who was also super helpful and sweet - she recommended a great place for dinner the night before, and helped scramble to get her mom's room ready). Eileen made me decaf, and the quiche was gluten-free for me. She's a Parisian trained chef, so everything was fantastic. She's also just one of the most genuine, friendly, funny, outgoing, GOOD women ever. We were sad to leave, and exchanged more hugs.

Oh, and the house is amazing. :) We stayed in the Alsace Suite and it was adorable and charming. For the people complaining about the location (uh, check a map before you go, it's just in a normal residential area) and the noise (it's a very. old. house. they make noise and have thin walls), all I can say is know before you go. If you're not into old houses in residential areas, don't stay here.

But if you want beautiful rooms, delicious food, and unmatched hospitality, Maison Lavigne is it. If we're ever in Atlanta again, we won't stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: The Alsace Suite is on the first floor right off the entryway, so if you're a light sleeper or j...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 23 May 2012

We stayed here after a long flight from the UK as we didn't want to face Atlanta's rush hour traffic. The B+B itself is fine, although Hapeville itself is a bit of a nothing kind of place. Don't expect good restaurants in the vicinity as there just aren't any. The hostess, Eileen, is welcoming and friendly, but the location of the B+B is directly beneath Atlanta airport's flight path. We were there in the summer and flights were pretty constant until midnight or so and then seemed to start up again very early, around 5pm. So, if you are a light sleeper I really would not recommend a stay here. We are unlikely to return purely based on the fact that when travelling, getting a good night's sleep does rate pretty highly for us.

Room Tip: No rooms are quiet due to the aircraft noise and the proximity of the B+B to Atlanta airport.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank boodley
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Eileen is a wonderful hostess, you are treated not just as a guest but as family. The rooms are so comfortable, clean and charming that you will be tempted to snooze away the morning! Eileen is a French trained chef, and truly amazing. She is also wonderful with any dietary needs.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 October 2011

This was to be a little getaway for a long weekend and what a getaway it was! I've met a number of B&B hosts over the years - but Eileen is the most memorable, most fun, most adorable I've ever encountered. From the moment we met, Eileen made sure everything needed was there, that everything would make the time relaxing and fun. She first brought out tini-tinies - absolutely perfect! I had asked for her to make dinner that first night. So we sat out in the kitchen while she cooked.and talked and laughed and talked. The atmosphere Eileen keeps is just that inviting. Dinner was simple, yet so very elegant, and out-of-this-world delicious! After dinner, we begged Eileen to sit and enjoy dessert with us and her company just really topped off our evening.

We stayed in the Provence Suite ... beautifully appointed, "drop right to la-la-land" comfortable bed, cozy, romantic, it was just what was needed! The common areas were inviting, some were full of wonderful books, others were perfect for relaxing (snoozing), the front porch felt like home, and the back garden and pool were so European. Even Miss Kitty was a charm.

Maison LaVigne is conveniently close enough to Atlanta that everything in the city is but moments away, yet not not so close that you feel you are wrestling with the city. This will be my home in Atlanta from now on!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dallas-0-Dallas
Reviewed 5 April 2011

Maison LaVigne was a wonderful B&B. The owner, Eileen, is a Paris-trained chef and we delighted in her French cooking. She also owns a French cafe down the street, so we enjoyed a lunch there too. We had a great breakfast in her kitchen and felt right at home. I loved the little extra touches, like a wonderfully fluffy bathrobe in the bathroom and a real mohair blanket from France! Not much to do in Hapeville, but it was a perfect place to stay near Atlanta!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ctabbott
Reviewed 5 June 2010

Arriving late in the day from the west coast and not wanting to drive too far the first night, I found this B and B online. It's only 10 minutes from the airport. What a find! The rooms were fabulous, the breakfast even better than that and the hostess went out of her way to help us. She waited for our late arrival and then let us follow her to a local restaurant.

I really liked the very French looking decor. It very much reflected her personality and was a stark contrast to the cookie cutter look of most hotels and even many B and B's. The porch was a very comfortable place to read our morning papers or check our email. The breakfast was top notch, prepared in the kitchen where we sat on a comfortable table conversing with her as she prepared it.

In addition to a convenient stopping place, this could serve as a base for exploring Atlanta and the region around it. It would be a calm oasis after a busy day of sightseeing.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2010

I normally find only chain hotels near major airports, and in looking for one for a brief stay I found this amazing exception. On a short trip I stayed for two nights and I was charmed both by the hostess and the house..

Located in quiet, leafy neighborhood, the house is stately and completely comfortable; the day I was there the outdoor temperature was in the low 80's but my room was cool and restful. Being near the airport you might expect noise, but there was none. And yet the morning I left I was returning my rental car less than 10 minutes after leaving the B&B.

Eileen is a great cook in her own right and runs a restaurant (Cafe at the Corner) just a block away which you should not miss. She is flexible, charming and funny, and provides just the right amount of attention.

Maison la Vigne is the epitome of what a B&B should be.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank aswatkins
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hapeville
Atlanta Airport Marriott Gateway
Best Western Plus Atlanta Airport-East
Staybridge Suites Atlanta Airport
Residence Inn Atlanta Airport North/Virginia Avenue
Courtyard Atlanta Airport North/Virginia Avenue
Solis Two Porsche Drive
Solis Two Porsche Drive
#5 of 5 in Hapeville

Been to Maison LaVigne? Share your experiences!