“Can't wait to go back!!”

Helendorf River Inn and Conference Center
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Helen
Reviewed 21 March 2012

My fiancée and I joined several other couples on a St. Patty's Day trip to Helen, GA. Helendorf made this experience so much more fun! We were all amazed at the fact that no two rooms were exactly the same - each one had something different and special about it. Much different than chain hotel! The staff was extremely friendly and accomodating - my only complaint was that the ice machine and Coke machine were down in the 700 building, and from what I was told by regular Helendorf guests; it has been that way for a while. But, soft drinks aside, this was an excellent hotel and I will be back - I've already booked a room for Labor Day weekend!

Room Tip: 700 building does not have working soft drink or ice machine.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
helendorf, Owner at Helendorf River Inn and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write this review of the Helendorf and the staff is working to solve the ice machine and coke machine issue. We look forward to seeing you and your fiancee again in the near future and encourage you to try enjoy our new riverwall and riverfront patio that is almost complete for your additional enjoyment. Richard Gay

Reviewed 14 March 2012

My mom and I spent 3 days in Helen, and selected the Helendorf because of a Living Social deal they had. I looked at the hotel on line, and was a little concerned about the rooms seeming "dated".

When we arrived we were greeted by very friendly front desk staff, who were eager to share about Helen and what to see and do, and had great suggestions on where to eat. They checked us in quickly and showed us the room. We arrived in the room - 2 queen beds, a couch, coffee table, desk, and dresser. The beds were nice and firm, and the linens were clean and fresh and quite pretty (AND a major deal to me - they used FITTED sheets on the bottom rather than a flat sheet that comes untucked). The room was IMMACULATELY clean. I am a former hotel housekeeper, so I'll give most rooms a dust test when we get in them, and this passed with FLYING colors.

Yes, this hotel is starting to show it's age a little bit, but it's clean, and I've been in MUCH worse that cost MUCH more. This hotel makes the entire town of Helen easy to walk to, and they provided wonderful service. We'll definitely come back!

Room Tip: Get a river side room!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank bblakely1105
Reviewed 11 March 2012

This hotel was a great place to stay. Very nice German atmosphere. We stayed in a jr suite which was great with a jacuzzi and a fireplace. It was in a great location.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 3 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Helendorf for one night in February 2012 and were very satisfied. Check-in was smooth and the staff was courteous and helpful. The reviews had made us concerned that the rooms would be run down, but that was not the case. Everything was neat and clean. The kitchenette was in good order (although no utensils or cookware) and it was nice to have a small table and chairs. The room was as pictured, with Bavarian-style furniture and very nice bedding. It was quite large compared to other hotel rooms I've been in. The off-white color of the furniture make the it look dirty in the pictures (to me) but they are quite clean, outside and in. The carpet was clean, everything smelled great and was in good repair. We enjoyed our stay and were pleased at the relative cost. The location is very good...close but the location near the river means you won't hear the crowds. The breakfast looked good, but we did not eat there because we wanted to try Hofer's. There was a fireplace in the lobby with a roaring fire all weekend, a very nice touch. Mind you, we were not expecting a 5-star resort so our expectations were met.

Room Tip: Rooms on the third floor hear the wonderful roar of the river. When we walked around downstairs, we...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2012

My 86 year old mother and I stayed at the Helendorf River Inn in January 2012. We had seperate rooms overlooking the river. It was a cool rainy day but the front desk staff made sure that my mother had a room near the handicapped ramp.
They do have rooms for the more handicapped-but they overlook the parking lot.
The rooms were spacious and clean, clean,clean.
The balconies, overlooking the river-lovely. There is a lot going on there to revitalize the river bank. Might take a while but you could see what they are trying to do.
Anyway, the rooms were great, the staff was helpful in suggesting places to get good German food.
Absolutely everything was againt us. The weather was horrible, the river bank was a mess of mud, most shops were not open. But the town and the Helendorrf were so great that we"ll go back if we can. We were enchanted by the town, the Helendorf-want to explore more. A little tourista-but whenever you leave home you are a tourist, right?-CARO-SC

Room Tip: Get a room with a river view. When they get the riverwalk finished it will be awesome.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank caroline c
Reviewed 22 February 2012

My family recently took a trip to Helen, GA and stayed at the Helendorf Inn we have stayed many times before but this was the best yet, excellent, prompt service, beautiful room, VERY CLEAN, I might add we did have our German Shepherd with us so we stayed in a pet room #223. The room was so CLEAN that you would never know a animal was there except for the small claw marks on the door. The fridge wasnt working upon arrival they immediately replaced it with a new one, the service desk personnel are wonderful as always very friendly!!. I already highly recommended this Hotel to many people today! -I will add that they are doing renovations along the river which already is looking wonderful cant wait to see it when they finish, our family will definetly be back this spring/summer... look no further this is a great hotel to stay in while in Helen I have no cons to list so here are my PROS- Large room, balcony that overlooked the river, firm beds, nice big flat screen TV, free wifi very clean bathroom, very nice kitchenette with stove, coffee maker, small fridge, microwave, and they have the sweetest lady named Alice she was the housekeeper while we were there. They also include continental breakfast which included cereals, bagels, fresh fruit, fresh coffee and juices to name a few, the hotel is also centered in a great location on the river walking distance to the local shops and restaurants!!!!

Room Tip: If you have a pet this is the place to stay we have stayed in both 221 and 223 previously and enjoye...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank FredaMarie_12
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed in Room 224, which is a pet-friendly room. If I have to pay the same price as everyone else, plus many times a surcharge for my pet, I expect a room similar to all the others. While I didn't see other rooms at this hotel, if they are anything like the one we had, this place needs a major overhaul. Pros: the room is very big and we had a nice balcony overlooking the river; the beds were very firm (which my husband and I liked) and we slept great. Cons: the room is very dark with poor lighting; the small kitchenette area is totally in the dark with no lights; both the front door and the bathroom door are full of scratches from pinned up pets; the bathroom is so small the door barely closes missing the toilet by a hair and the bathtub has burn stains from smokers. The room was furnished with two double beds, a dining table with two chairs, a long chest with a large flat screen TV atop, the kitchenette which included a small stove, small fridge, a microwave and a coffeemaker. During our stay the toilet began to leak whenever flushed. Happily the plumber arrived very quickly and made the repairs all the while apologizing for the inconvenience. A continental breakfast is served in the lobby from 7am - 11am. It includes individually packaged cereals, pastries, yogurts, fresh fruit and coffee. Coffee is available all day from 7am - 11pm. The location of the hotel is prime; with many restaurants and shops a short walk away.

Room Tip: Getting a room overlooking the river is picturesque and hearing the river at night is very soothing.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cathyd

I’m very happy that you enjoyed your stay but must disagree with you that “Pet Friendly” does not equal a rundown room. As you know some people do leave their pets in their rooms while they enjoy Helen and the Helendorf and that does account for the unfortunate scratches on the door. With that said though, I do want to tell you that we are in the process of guest room renovations which include new carpet, bed linen, comforters, curtains, lighting, bathroom tile and layout, etc. Unfortunately this is one of the rooms that the bulk of the renovations have not been applied. Our pet friendly rooms are in great demand and those renovations are being managed with demand and guest comfort in mind. I would encourage you to visit again to see our progress. Richard Gay