“Great location and value”

Helendorf River Inn and Conference Center
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Helen
Birmingham, AL
“Great location and value”
Reviewed 4 July 2012

On a whim, my mom and I and my sons, 12 and 8, drove to Helen, GA from Gadsden, AL. That's all back roads that twisted and turned all over the place! By the time we got there, we were all tired and a little bit dispirited. The Helendorf was a "wake-up call!" It was a great location, we got a room overlooking the river and it was absolutely huge!. Lots of space for the kids to play around and not knock anything over. The paint was new and the bathroom was very clean and had no mildew. The water stayed hot for a long time, and the air conditioner kept the place really cold. We loved watching the tubers floating along the river right outside our balcony. The patio on the riverside was new, clean and very inviting, with the steps down into the water. The staff was extremely helpful to my 12-year-old and to us for suggestions on attractions and eating. Most smaller tourist towns overprice their hotels rooms and the accommodations are usually very disappointing. This was my first experience where that was not so. We almost stayed at The Country Inn, a known chain, that was brand new, but I am very glad we didn't. We could walk to anywhere in the town and my 73 year old mom was not overwhelmed by the exercise. I would recommend this place highly. One caveat - we were on the third floor, and our second day, four smokers moved into the room under ours. We were unable to enjoy the balcony after that due to the constant stream of cigarette smoke. I am sure if we had asked the staff would have moved us, but we loved the room. We will definitely stay here again. - Vicki M.

Room Tip: Spring for the ones overlooking the river - it is worth it!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Vicki M
helendorf, Owner at Helendorf River Inn and Conference Center, responded to this review, 12 September 2012
“Danke”, Thank you, I always enjoy hearing about the fun our guests have had here at the Helendorf and on our riverbank especially families. If you have any suggestions for family activities and entertainment don’t hesitate to send us a note. You are correct though if you had asked, the staff would have done our very best to move you to another room. See you on your next visit!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We've stayed here twice. The rooms are great!Location superb, breakfast very generous and staff super extraordinary. Our favorite hotel in GA and in the most interesting town, too.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mamabearat
“Willkommen zurück!”, Welcome back, it is always special when we have returning guests and they say such nice things. Be sure and check us out on Facebook along with keeping an eye out for our new rewards program in 2013.
Pickens, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 17 June 2012

My husband and I booked a junior suite for our stay to celebrate our anniversary. Reserving online is always a little scary because I'm relying on the website to advertise truthfully. I am happy to say that we LOVED this hotel. The location could not have been better and our room was perfect- clean, comfortable, spacious, and exactly like the photos. Everyone we met - at the hotel and at the shops and restaurants- was friendly and helpful. We enjoyed an awesome trip that we will always remember!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Karen W
“Glücklicher Jahrestag!”, Happy Anniversary and thank you for your wonderful review of the Helendorf and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future for yet another anniversary. Remember…you don’t have to limit yourself to anniversaries to visit. Signup for our eNewsletter and keep an eye out for our new rewards program coming in the spring of 2013.
Alabama
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Planned a last minute weekend getaway and ended up at The Helendorf River Inn. This was our first time there and I can definitely tell you that we have found OUR VACATION spot! I loved this place...loved it! It is located directly in the center of town - walking distance to everything!! They have rooms right on the river, continental breakfast, swimming pool, and the friendliest staff I've ever met. I felt very welcome from the time I walked in until I left. I would recommend this place to anyone and everyone. I know I'll be back....

Room Tip: I loved our riverfront balcony room.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Becky J
helendorf, Owner at Helendorf River Inn and Conference Center, responded to this review, 11 September 2012
“Vielen Dank”, Thank you very much it is always great to hear the stories of guests who have enjoyed themselves here at the Helendorf and likewise to see it on Trip Advisor. Our staff always works hard to satisfy the guests and respond to your every need. Again, it was so wonderful to have you stay with us and we look forward to their return visit.
Casselberry, Florida, United States
Reviewed 23 May 2012

This is the 3rd out of 4 years my brother and I have stayed at the Helendorf and we could not have asked for a better experience. The one time we didn't stay at the Helendorf our trip sucked. This year was a reminder why I love this town. The staff was incredibly generous and helpful. Nelson and the rest of the staff helped and assisted us in every way we needed. The new renovations to the hotel didn't go unnoticed either. The new televisions and clean rooms were amazing and we seriously cannot ask for a better vacation spot. I will be coming back here again this year because this staff makes you feel like you're at home when you're away from home. Seriously consider visiting this hotel and this great town. Thank you for everything you do Helendorf and staff. With love, HighwayStar Manny

Room Tip: Suites have a great view of the Chattahoochee river, and the 700 building is amazing. Any room you...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank HighwayStarManny
“Willkommen zurück!”, Welcome back, it is always great to hear from our guests who have stayed with us on multiple occasions and thank you for such a nice review. We will definitely pass your comments on to Nelson and the rest of the staff. We are working hard to develop a guest rewards program for loyal followers of the Helendorf so be on the look out for it in the spring.
Reviewed 23 May 2012

I've stayed at the Helendorf for the last 3 years on our trip to Helen. The staff is great and friendly, the prices are good and it's straight on the river! You can't ask for any else. Check them out next time your planning a trip.

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank Graffitigolf
Thank you for your wonderful review of the Helendorf and as always, we look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Be sure and signup for our eNewsletter and keep an eye out for our new loyalty program to be launched in Spring 2013. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Customer service is on point; employees are all very pleasant and helpful. Rooms are clean (I'm very picky about clean rooms and bathrooms) Love the location centralized to everything in Helen.

• Stayed May 2012
4 Thank VolkswagenJunkies
Thank you for your wonderful review of the Helendorf and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future. We will soon have our new riverwall and riverfront patio completed for your additional enjoyment. Richard Gay