“Best 2 Hours You'll Spend In Helen”

Helen Tubing and Water Park
Reviewed 19 September 2013

No trip to Helen is complete without hopping on a bus and floating down the 'Hooch on a pink tube. Sure you can vie for a blue tube, but the service and ease of on/off convenience associated with the pink tubes and matching buses is unmatched.

Hint: If you'd like to enjoy the float even more, float with a friend and be sure to snag a complimentary "link-up" strap when you pick up your tube.

All reviews
in 14 reviews
"hour trip"
"low water"

Reviewed 19 September 2013

We had an extended family vacation with a group of children ranging from 4 to 9 years old. The kids loved the waterpark, but the parents loved the tubing. When we went to the waterpark it was just for the kids, if you have gone to a fair share of waterparks then this one won't impress you at all, it was quaint and just what the kids wanted.

The tubing.... You need foot protection aka water shoes, and possibly a large stick. This is not a lazy river, it DOES get rough. I went on this tubing adventure 3 times. I LOVED it. However, the one time that we took the kids, it was a bit horrifying. We strapped kids to each adults tube. That is a horrible idea. When you strap your tube to more than one other tube, then you WILL FLIP. I got drug among the rocks at least 4 times, and when the kids flip, it can be scary. I would recommend 1 adult per child if you are strapping, and be prepared to get out of your tube at least a couple times to dislodge from rocky areas. When I went down the river solo, I didn't have to get out of my tube at all, and I didn't flip!

Reviewed 18 September 2013

The Water is kind of small and good for toddlers. As many other reviewers said there is a lazy river, an open slide and a closed slide, and that's it. We went there with my three sons - toddlers and they had a great time in the Lazy river and just splashing around in the water. Since we reached with only about 2 more hours left for the park to close (but was charged the full price) and the kids were happy just in the lazy river, couldn't try out the slide. They also have tubing facility outside on the river. The place is a bit dated and could do with some sprucing up.

I saw only about 2 life guards there. Water park area is accessible only to paid patrons who get a wrist band. So the grandparents who accompanied us could not come into that area.

There is a changing area with toilets. But saw women using the men's area because there was a line outside the ladies'. Although the ladies at the ticketing were informed on the way out, they did not seem much concerned. Bad customer service.

Pros
- Really liked the tubes here. They are closed inside and so kids sitting on it will not slip through.
- the lazy river is not very deep - about 3 - 4 feet. Perfect for toddlers. They can also jump in and out of the tubes.
PS: One of my previous reviews was for the Great Wolf Lodge water parks. The tubes and the lazy river here easily beat what they have in the kid friendly department.

Cons
- Only paid patrons have access to the water park area.
- dated and old changing area/ restroom.
- bad customer service

Reviewed 16 September 2013

We picked up about a quarter mile down the river from the main location. Here, we were charged $5 per tube and $5 to park for the day, not knowing that the prices would be different anywhere else. We were promised a bus ride back to this same location once we reached the bottom of the river. The tubing itself was really enjoyable and we had a great time on the river.

Once we reached the bottom, the problems ensued. We had to wait 45 minutes to catch a bus back, with no crowd control, and nobody maintaining order as a hoard of impatient people waited to push their way onto crowded buses. Then the bus brought us back to the main location for Helen Tubing. Once there, we expected that the bus would continue on to the next stop, where we had parked and been promised a ride to. When we asked the driver, he acted like he had no idea what we were talking about, and said this would be the only stop. When we went to ask the woman working at the rental desk here, she told us that we would have to walk.

When we complained that this was not what we were promised, and that we had no shoes to complete the 15 minute walk along a busy road, she was simply rude, and told us that while the place we got our tubes from gets the tubes from Helen Tubing, they are not actually the same place. Overall, the whole situation was confusing and misleading, and it is also not right that they would allows someone to charge more for the same tube ($5 vs. $3 if you get it at the main place).

Since we had no choice, we had to walk barefoot along the road back to our car... our options were to either walk in the grass alongside the road and risk cutting our feet on the broken glass and other trash, or walk on the edge of the road where we'd risk getting hit. Would not use this company again and would instead probably go with the green tube company if we're back in Helen, because we did enjoy the ride down the river.

2  Thank Michael N