“Grody bathroom”

Unicoi State Park & Lodge
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Helen
“Grody bathroom”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Grody bathroom clearly not cleaned or serviced before we check in... The tub was full of dirty water and wouldn't drain. There was a short curly hair on the edge of the tub, didn't give the best impression that it had been cleaned or even looked at before we checked in...

• Stayed August 2014
JT_Coggins, Front Office Manager at Unicoi State Park & Lodge, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry about this occurrence, it is not representative of Unicoi State Park & Lodge's Housekeeping practices. I will pass this incident along to ensure that this is prevented in the future. Once again thank you for your feedback.

Front Office Manager

jt.coggins@unicoilodge.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Buford, Georgia
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Overall - Excellent! Even with construction going on to improve the facility, it did not interfere nor inconvenience any of the 395 people who attended our weekend event. Each and every staff member were kind, courteous, helpful, and very efficient!! With food being a direct focus for many...it was superb!

Room Tip: All seemed to have easy access and were convenient to surrounding activities
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your review. I am so glad that you enjoyed your time with us. I will pass on your compliments and hope that you will visit us again. Thank you.

Front Desk Manager

Monroe, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We had a great time, it is gorgeous up there! The actual lodge however.... is very outdated. The room smelled like a home perm. The temperature of the room was good. The beds as well as the linens are in need of an update, but it slept good enough. They had no fridge, so they gave us a little tiny plug in fridge for medicine that was not functional enough to use. The food at their restaurant is way over priced. Breakfast is really good and worth paying for, but you may as well go into Helen for lunch or dinner as you will pay about the same and get much better than Unicoi has to offer. This is a great place to go to as long as you don't care about a nice room (at all) and plan to be out of the lodge for the majority of your stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

JT_Coggins, Front Office Manager at Unicoi State Park & Lodge, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We are currently updating the lodge and hope that the changes being made to our rooms will better meet your expectations. I will pass along all of your feedback and once again appreciate your time.

Front Desk Manager

Reviewed 22 August 2014

We stayed at the Unicoi Lodge. The cost of the room which had two queen beds, nothing special about the room, was 120.00 for the night during the week. They were doing some major renevations when we were there to the main building where the lobby, restaurant, game room and gift shops are at so it was in sort of a mess but you could tell that it will look very nice when they are finished. Seems like they will have nice conference rooms for that sort of thing. There is no free coffee or contentinal breakfast what so ever. If you want a cup of coffee you either have to brew the cheap stuff in the room which never is strong enough for me nor does it have enough creamer, or you have to pay for it in the restaurant. The food was just okay and it was over priced. We paid 52 dollars with the tip for breakfast for a family of 4......2 kids eating pancakes with bacon and water to drink and us 2 adults had omlettes and coffee. Dinner was more of the same type of food that was just ok and over priced. The "waitress" that took our breakfast order only came to our table to take our order and then to bring the food. When she finally came back to give us our bill she apologized that she hadn't been back to check on us but that she isn't really a waitress but rather the cashier and that she had just gotten informed that she was getting a party of 60 to serve on her own. There was no one in the restaurant when we were there so it was super slow and no reason she couldn't have checked on us to see if we needed refills but in her defense she isn't a waitress. The waitress at dinner was seasoned and did a good job and was friendly. The real problem that we had with the whole experience besides the over priced food and the renovations being made was our room itself. It was super humid inside the room when we arrived. There was sooo much moisture in the room it seemed like they might have just cleaned the carpets and didn't let them dry properly or something. The bed linens even felt moist on both beds. Our laptop computer we had brought with us was even effected. The mouse pad stopped working and once we left the next day and the computer was allowed to dry out it was fine but even after running the air conditioner it never got any less moist in that room. Another thing that happened when we were there that displeased us was that the manager walked through the gift shop where my kids were playing with some river rocks that were for sell in there.....they were sorting them placing the colors in the correct sections cause they were all mixed up together. We were sitting in the restaurant that joined the gift store at the table closest to the gift shop and they were literally 15-20 feet away from us at the time the manager walked into the gift shop and seen them there playing around in the rocks and he and the lady that was walking with him stared my kids down and then approached our "waitress" and we over heard him say, "Why isn't there anyone tending the gift shop? There are a couple of kids in there stealing rocks. That's why we need someone in there all the time." She just kind of looked at him like, what do you want me to do about it I'm just the cashier and I'm getting ready to get slammed with a party of 60! My son came in to us and had a frown on his 7 year old face as my daughter who is 9 stayed in there sorting the rocks. We asked him what was the matter and he said that the adults made him feel bad. I don't know what they said or did to make him feel bad but he seemed rattled. So my husband approached the manager and asked him what the problem was and he said he seen my son but rocks in his pocket to steal. There were a few words exchanged and they walked off. We asked our son to empty his pockets and he had no rocks and actually had huge holes in both of his pockets as well. My daughter was wearing a strappy sun dress with no pockets. We were a bit upset by all of this and ran into the man an lady again in the lobby after paying for our overpriced breakfast. They approached us and told us not to worry about the rocks that it was okay and that kids just do stuff like that still assuming that my son had tried to steal some rocks. When questioned they finally admitted they didn't actually see him put rocks in his pockets but seen him put his hands in his pockets and assumed he was putting the rocks in there. Ultimately we will not be staying back at the Lodge, however the park was lovely and there are several nice hotels in the area.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Travellers are raving about these Helen hotels

Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed 21 August 2014

The nature surrounding the park is nice. The trails are nice and easy to follow. There is nothing special about the accommodations. It is just a lodge and not much more. The room was small and had a slight musty odor. The room was just acceptable and nothing more. Linens were worn. The staff was polite and accommodating. The price of $169.00 per night was way overpriced for what you get. To put things in perspective, we stayed at the Atlanta Ritz Carlton the night before for the same non discounted nor special rate of $169.00. The Unicoi is not even close.

Lawrenceville, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We had a small convention here and I enjoyed it very much, from the coziness of our room to the lovely scenery.Staff was EXTREMELY nice and helpful. Everything we needed for our puppetry convention seemed perfect, from workshop to performance space. The buildings were under construction during my visit, so there were some minor inconveniences getting from here to there--I really wished for an elevator in our building as we had a lot of stuff to haul around--but I liked the setting so much I can overlook this.
I thought breakfasts were a bit pricey in the dining room and I didn't see the actual menu until I was up at the register--I would have ordered the much more budget-friendly sever-brought meal instead of the buffet. The food, however, was very good.
My only major complaint is that there were not refrigerators in the rooms.
The lofts were fun, too!!

~Liz V

Room Tip: If you have a lot of stuff, try to get a ground floor rooms. At present there is no elevator to reac...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Miami
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We took the family up to the barrel cabins for the second time and we had a wonderful time. The lake was amazing and the sounds of the forest was phenomenal. We barbequed on the grill and even made s'mores. The bugs stayed outside and the cool air stayed inside. Everything was clean and supplies were sufficient. These were the good points. The lady at check in was not very enthusiastic about her job, very blah. The lodge has something to be desired. It is very old fashioned and stuffy. There was a musty smell around. There was a lot of construction going on that impaired the flow of movement about the lodge. The food there is very expensive for what it is. Don't expect any extras in the cabin and i didn't. I was planning to experience this the same way I would experience an RV vacation. The overall experience would still make me come back because of the actual park, trails, falls and the price of the barrel cabin was worth paying considering we were so close to Helen and those amenities. River tubing was great but for a cheaper deal on the same river I would go with the pink rafts of Helen (you will know what I mean when you are there).

Room Tip: The barrel cabins are amazing, the windows block out the noise of the crickets outside.