“Restaurant is worth trying/only rating restaurant”

Hofbrau Riverfront Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Helen B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Although we did not stay at the hotel we did stop at the restaurant. I wouldn't say it was the best menu ever but it was good. I didn't want anything off their lunch menu so they brought me their dinner menu and told me what was available from it. I thought that was pretty nice. I ended up ordering off their lunch menu and it was ok. The desserts were not as good as I expected except for the apple strudel. Go for the apple strudel! So all in all it was ok. What was most enjoyable was watching the people tubing down the river from the table. They were falling off tubes, chasing tubes, losing belongings, helping each other, dogs on tubes, laughing, and enjoying life. Kept my son occupied watching as they come down the river constantly. All in all a nice place to stop in and eat. As my 7 year old said, "I'd come back here!".

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank cuppajojo

Reviewed 23 July 2013

Michelle at the front desk is an asset to this hotel! She is helpful and friendly! The hotel was a good value with easy access and charming atmosphere. The bathroom could have been cleaner and that is the only negative I saw. Overall a great experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank cheryl e
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I spent 3 nights here with a motorcycle group. When I checked in, the room was stuffy and "fragrant." The A/C had been off, but a couple of hours on high made the room comfortable. Wallpaper was dated and faded, and the mattresses were old. the shower had lots of hot water. Room had a small refrigerator and microwave. Frugal guests can shop at the market a short one block away, and prepare basic snacks in the room. The hotel is on the river, and guests can walk down from the deck to wade in the river. Staff was friendly and responsive. Continental breakfast was basic, but free. The price was right, and if you are not particular about having a new room, you would be comfortable here.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank JD H
Reviewed 16 July 2013

It is such a shame that a hotel as nice as this was 15 years ago has fallen into complete ruin. We checked several rooms trying to find the best of the worst. The rooms are musty (a good spraying of air freshener helped significantly), decor extremely old, and mattresses worn out completely (some were even sloping to the side). The rooms on the river look like they have been neglected for years - doors didn't open and shut properly and the beds were even worse than the main rooms. In each room we viewed, a small microwave was placed on top of a small fridge which was sitting in a corner by the beds. There is a deck area by the river which was completely overcrowded with mismatched, dirty furniture. The pool furniture was the same way - dirty and old. The pool does not gradually deepen; the 3ft almost immediately becomes 5 which was a complete surprise for my 4 year old as she almost went under. Breakfast was a joke; I could have gone to the local gas station for the same breakfast. I am very disappointed in the condition of this hotel. Very sad; good location but not worth staying. The night we stayed she was practically giving rooms away to get people in but still overpriced for the condition and I think we were overcharged in the end. When you see a sign that says no refunds at all - don't pay for a room. If we had not been so worn out and in need of a bed, we would have moved on to a different hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay here; try another hotel. If you do stay - I wouldn't recommend a riverside room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Hotel is in good location.on the river.needs some updating.staff was super friendly and helpful.my second time staying at this hotel and will be going back! Resteraunt was close and overlooked the water.overpriced!

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank tracyd1197
Reviewed 19 April 2013

We have stayed at this hotel for years. Every April or May we go up for a week of trout fishing. This year we were disappointed. This hotel has seemed to be going downhill for many years. Can't keep an owner. We were told they even shut down a couple weeks before we got there because they didn't meet code. Who tells their guests that? Anyways. The bed sheets were clean, which is about as far as the positives go! We weren't given the price the guy I initally talked to, we were charged $80.00/night. After realizing this, i figured it was the different owner that I talked to. When walking in our room smelled awful. Almost like ciggarette smoke and cat pee. We had to go everynight and ask for towels because we never received any new ones. We were there 4 nights and were never checked up on. There was no coffee and to my father in law that's a sin in itself. No breakfast. I understand they are trying to get back on their feet, but at the same time, with us 3 being the only visitors in the whole hotel, you would think they would make a little more effort to make us keep coming back. WRONG. Why spend $80.00 a night for a bed to sleep in when you can go into town and spend $50. 00 a night and have room service, breakfast, a coffee pot in the room, and a nice smelling room? Try Econolodge!! Stay away from this hotel. I would put this a 0 rating, but it won't let me, so I guess I have to atleast give it a 1.

Room Tip: This hotel is awful . Should be shut down. Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Tiffany P
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Please read all reviews and decide to NOT stay here. It's been 4 years since our visit and I can't believe this place is still allowed to operate, especially since most of the reviews describe our experience completely. It's a memory we will never forget. We were offered the "romantic" suite with a fireplace. Dirty water, room in disrepair and dirty bathroom with long black hair everywhere sure doesn't set the mood for romance. Heat didn't work. We would have left, but we had already paid upon arrival at the "front desk" and the one person at this "reception area" had closed the office and gone home at 8:00pm. Breakfast (supposedly served in the same reception area) was supposed to be at 8:00, but there was no sign of anyone even having arrived to get it ready when we left at 8:15. Possibly they did us a favor of saving us from food poisioning,.

Room Tip: I can't imagine there is a good room?
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple