“We are all sick.”

Georgia Mountain Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 49 Restaurants in Hiawassee
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We are on our motorcycles camping in the mountains for the Holiday weekend and decided to eat here since they had a lot of cars in the lot. All four of us got the buffet. Ribs, chicken etc.
The food tasted fine and we had good service, but by the time we got back to our cabin (an hour later) all four of us fought our way to the bathroom.. We have no clue what was actually bad, but we will never go there again.
Four hours later and we are all still sick.
We should have called the Health Dept.

1  Thank Joe C

Reviewed 23 August 2013

Ate the breakfast bar. The flavor of the food was ok but everything was cold. I've ate lunch there before and the food was real good. Maybe it had something to do with the food bar.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

This restaurant was unpretentious. The food was good. My son got the buffet and it was ok but the food off the menu is better. The best thing we had was the fried corn fritters. They were absolutely great. Its a country place with breakfast, lunch and dinner and I would go back. Service was good.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

While staying in Hiawassee the past few days, my wife & I were constantly looking for new places to eat at; specifically for dinner. After all, it is lil' ol' Hiawassee and there just isn't much to offer in the way of food aside from fast food.

We noted that every time we traveled by the Georgia Mountain Restaurant, the parking lot was full and it always appeared to be pretty busy for dinner. Okay, "it must be good" we thought, so in we went.

We were greeted with politeness and quickly seated, and the staff was courteous throughout our meal. We immediately got the sense that this was more of a locals place, and the all-you-can-eat buffet was very obviously the reason why. The buffet was right around $8.00pp, and the night we were there they were serving fried chicken, a couple different types of fish, the typical buffet sides, and a salad bar. We looked it over, but it did not appeal to either one of us thus prompting us to order from the menu.

The building and atmosphere was remnant of a diner from the 70's that desperately needs attention. It was readily apparent that the focus is put into the daily buffet that so many appeared to come for. I cannot comment on what kind of buffet is offered daily, but I am sure that there are days where it is a pure delight to some for the price they're paying for it.

My wife ordered the "Smothered Grilled Chicken" platter & I ordered the plain grilled chicken platter. Each of us also had a baked potato as our side and soft drink for the beverage. In all honesty, the meals were actually fairly good; but average. It wasn't anything like a, "Oh wow, this is really good," but it also wasn't anything like, "Oh, this is bad." It was simply more like, "Okay, that wasn't bad at all, but it wasn't anything particularly worth returning for." That being said, the meals were NOT worth the price paid for them: $29.62. Yes, that is just a little under $15pp, but it is my opinion that the overall dinner experience was much better suited to be within the $9pp range. If this was a large chain restaurant I would pay without hesitation, but it wasn't and did not even remotely rise to the price margin we paid.

I would not say that my review should deter anyone from visiting themselves since some may find the buffet to be to their liking; just don't go in expecting a buffet in the way of a Golden Corral, etc. Instead, if you go in fully expecting a no-frills "sit, eat, and leave" kind of atmosphere, then you will most likely be satisfied. But do take heed to what I said about the menu pricing!

Lastly, if you're looking for something with a really good atmosphere, a large menu, and excellent food, then you should check out my (soon-to-be-posted) other restaurant review of a place in Blairsville that we found on our last night. ;-)

Reviewed 21 June 2013

Family-style southern food buffet (think fried chicken, mashed potatoes, fried okra, salad bar, peach cobbler - you get the picture...) that's hot & ready, just like we are when we come off the lake. Come as you are! The service is as sweet as the tea & so is the price. It's a family favorite!

1  Thank Tx10sGal