“Terrific anniversary celebration”

The Oaks
Ranked #10 of 49 Restaurants in Hiawassee
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Oaks offers a fine dining experience with a seasonally influenced dinner menu, including fine steaks, prime rib, chicken, and fresh seafood selections. Beautiful presentations of fresh food, simply prepared, coupled with an attentive staff, makes The Oaks the perfect choice for intimate dining or entertaining. Enjoy casual elegance in a stately paneled dining room or cocktails on our lakefront terrace amidst beautiful surroundings.
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Our server, jJenny, asked us if we knew about trip advisor because the new owners are encouraging folks to review The Oaks. We were only too happy to oblige. The Clint Eastwood trout was scrumptious and beautiful; the Marsala was the best my husband ever had. We really enjoyed the wine from two local vineyards. We had a nice view out onto the water and Jenny was just attentive enough for this to be a perfect way to celebrate our anniversary. We recommend it!

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Attended a special birthday event last night, and as usual, I was not disappointed in the food or the staff! Amanda and Heath, you guys rocked it! Two of the best restaurant staff in Hiawassee.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Heath and staff are wonderful and very attentive! The food is great and I can't wait to go back!!!!!!!!

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We've lived in Hiawassee since 2005. This used to be a good and popular restaurant, but our last two visits - August of last year, and July of this year, have really disappointed us.

The last visit especially was a complete waste of time and money.

Our waitress was pleasant, but her service was lackluster and slow. She wasn't swamped because there were never more than four tables occupied during our dinner! She didn't seem to be trained properly and didn't bother removing the very large appetizer plate when she brought our dinners out. We had to shift the plates around ourselves to make room.

My companion's mussels appetizer was overcooked, tough and shriveled. The shrimp & grits had ZERO grits. Zero. My salad was limp, with little texture or flavor. My beef had a strange mushy texture, so I couldn't eat but a couple of pieces. I didn't even want to take the leftovers home. By the end of dinner, we were so over the experience that we couldn't wait to leave.

We overheard the staff standing around the bar area talking about how slow business has been. We could have given them a list of reasons for that, but that's why I'm writing this review.

I have no clue what happened to this place, but after two truly disappointing visits, I just can't risk it anymore. What a waste of a nice setting.

2  Thank OnTheLake2014
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Went there a few Sunday's ago as we were staying in the area. Very nice location, sat outside. Our server Heather did not go into a lot of detail about the dishes. I ordered a seafood chowder. When it came I couldn't see a soup spoon. I waited and looked around for her but she had disappeared! I then asked another server who said she would get me one in a minute but then proceeded to clear an empty table. Then I went inside and to the bar and the lady said she would locate my server and get her to bring one out to me. When she came out she handed me a teaspoon, and then pointed to another on the table and said "look you had one all along!" I said that I was really looking for a soup spoon to which she replied that they were probably all in the dishwasher! By this time the soup was very cold and the cream had congealed and looked very unappetizing so I asked her to bring me a salad instead, which she did. My husband's meal was to be accompanied by a baked potato and broccoli. When they came out the potato was loaded with cheese and bacon and the broccoli was smothered in a cream sauce, none of which was mentioned on the menu. My husband then told her that he didn't eat cheese and bacon and could she bring him a plain baked potato. She said she would but came back around 10 minutes later to say "you probably don't want that potato now do you?" He said that he did as he was actually very hungry. Then she came back another 10 minutes later and said that actually they had run out of baked potatoes but were "working" on one. Around 15 minutes later she came back with a microwaved potato. At no time did she apologize. It was overall a very disappointing and frustrating experience! I would not recommend it!

3  Thank 404UnaR