“Everything was great”
Review of Lake Chatuge Lodge

Lake Chatuge Lodge
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Hiawassee
Reviewed 18 February 2014

From the first step into the lobby everything was great. The desk person was very friendly and the room was clean as a hospital room. Our view was the best anyone could ask for. I was concerned about a chair in my room that was loose and they brought me another one immediately. The breakfast over the weekend was hot and tasted great. They had fresh coffee in the lobby at all times, the wood burning fireplace in the lobby was very nice to sit by. I look forward to staying here again, I was well pleased and anyone else would be too.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Lake are well worth it, view is breath taking
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
LakeChatugeLodge, General Manager at Lake Chatuge Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Thank you for your great review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay. Our housekeeping staff tries very hard to make sure the rooms are clean. Our staff is always inviting and willing to help our guests with anything they need. I'm sorry to hear about your chair. I'm glad that you got a replacement quickly. Stuff wears out over time and thank you for bringing it to our attention. Please stop by the front desk the next time you are here so I can thank you personally.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Most romantic and relax place on earth,away from the regular routine of life,wonderful views,nice rooms ,staff was great and the breakfast the best ,small town near by with one of the grates and kind people ,grate price

1  Thank Jose P
LakeChatugeLodge, General Manager at Lake Chatuge Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

I would like to thank you for your great review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope to meet you the next time you are up to say thank you again. I look forward to seeing you the next time you are in our beautiful area.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

We had a awesome view of the lake. The front desk attendant, Peggy was very friendly and accomodating. The morning clerk could take some lessons from her!
The woodburning fireplace in the lobby was very enjoyable with nice furnishings to curl up in and read a book or just relax.

Room Tip: Stay on the 3rd floor, lakeside. Beautiful view
1  Thank April T
LakeChatugeLodge, General Manager at Lake Chatuge Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

I'm glad that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Lake Chatuge Lodge. Our upgraded lakeview rooms do offer spectacular views of Lake Chatuge from their balcony. All of our rooms offer a private balcony with 2 chairs and a table. Our front desk staff is always happy to assist a guest when needed. I will pass your comments along to them. Our lobby is a great place to read a book and listen to the wood burning in the fireplace. I hope that you will be back soon to read by the fire.

Katie Stancil.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stayed there just 1 night but I was impressed by the cleanliness of the room and the hotel.Staff was very friendly, the breakfast was good and it have many choices, the towels were soft, the bed sheets crisp white. No dust, no strands of hair in the bathroom.
The room was on the second floor and it had a fantastic view of lake Chatuge. A really enjoyable stay!

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor have a breathtaking view.
1  Thank Lastun
LakeChatugeLodge, General Manager at Lake Chatuge Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

It sounds like you enjoyed your stay. I am glad that you found everything to your liking. Our housekeeping staff tries very hard to make sure that all of our rooms are the same as you stated in your review. Our staff is always friendly and glad to give advice about good places to eat in the area, places to go, directions, etc. I look forward to personally thanking you during your next stay with us.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

As requested, I was given a room on the 3rd floor with a lake view. The room was very clean and the view was marvelous. I had called the lodge for my reservation because it didn’t appear there were provisions on their Web site for listing special preferences, such as the floor and view. I also didn’t want to clash with a Hog rally or other such event. If there were provisions for these tasks I guess I missed them.

The room was attractive (except for the chair eyesore listed later) and complete. . A microwave, fridge and sofa were included. The bed, however, didn’t agree with me. I couldn’t sleep with the extra-large pillows they provided. When I mentioned that problem to Maid Service she promptly provided me with standard sized replacement pillows. And then I had problems with the firmness of the bed. I couldn’t decide if the mattress was too firm or if I was having difficulty with a pillow-top. But this was no fault of the lodge, of course. Although cheap one-piece molded plastic chairs are used throughout the hotel porches, they serve their purpose.

There’s a sign at the Reception Desk stating guests will be charged a $250 fee if cigarette smoke is detected in the room. A similar notice provided in the room listed the penalty as only $150. So, if you’re caught smoking in a room, take the room offer. It’s a better deal. :))

The evening fire was nice and the breakfast buffet was appreciated. Although the buffet was very basic, I couldn’t complain. I don’t think it should be the obligation of any hotel to provide guests with free breakfasts. I find it ironic that some guests complain about inadequate breakfasts at some hotels while they don’t criticize other hotels that offer no breakfast at all.

In summary, I have one major suggestion for improvement. There was a wooden desk and chair in the room. It was immediately obvious that the two components were not a perfect match. The arms of the chair were too high to clear the desk. Consequently it was not possible to slide the chair arms under the table. As a result the chair protruded further into the room than it could have. In fact, it was not possible to travel from the room entry door to the balcony door without encountering interference from the chair. Modifications to the set, such as lowering the chair 1”, raising the table 1” or simply replacing one of the components would correct the problem. By correcting this problem 18” of valuable room space would be realized.

Although I would like to leave photos of my hotel experience in this review, I am not able to transfer them. If I use the "browse" command I am able to locate and move a link to my photos in the space provided. But the link is a shortcut that will not be accessible to anyone who does not have direct access to my computer. Or am I missing something? It would be nice if the feature to just copy and paste the photo to the site were provided.

Room Tip: Call ahead to reserve a room. I would suggest a 3rd floor room with a lake view. Request a confirma...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
LakeChatugeLodge, General Manager at Lake Chatuge Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Thank you for your great and detailed review of your experience. I appreciate all of your comments and will look into correcting the chair/desk issue you experienced during your stay. Our breakfast is a complimentary continental breakfast during the week and on the weekends, we offer 3-4 hot items as well. As you mentioned, our 3rd floor lakeview rooms offer exquisite views of Lake Chatuge. All rooms do feature a private balcony with 2 chairs and a small table. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to meeting you the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

When faced with a family emergency we had to cut our stay short by one day. You only know if you ask, so I asked if they could offer a partial refund- not looking for a full refund since the room was booked for an additional night- however LCL wasn't fully booked either therefore shouldn't have had any trouble turning the room. I told the "manager" this was the first time staying at this property & we would like to be a guest again but I've always been a firm believer in speaking up and asking if... she cut me off saying "I use that tactic too"! Really! "tactic" is that how you treat your guests? I wasn't asking for a full refund to begin with! Then she said, you didn't book thru us, I have to pay the booking agent and now your asking for an even greater discount... really? Did the word discount come out of my mouth? I simply asked to split the last nights stay- even agreed to pay all fees. She then eluded to say the person that checked us in didn't charge the right amount... she said she couldn't calulate a refund and played ignorant when I told her how to calculate it! Don't make excuses just simply say NO and KINDLY apologize but perhaps offer another solution for a future visit. Breakfast should say continental BF! Room wasn't clean- food around the parameter of the room- we found beans, bugs, chips and hair. We paid $472.18 for 3 Nights. Shame on your customer service- send that manager to CS Training or get rid of her before she rids you of your repeat customers!

Room Tip: Beautiful location, staff needs trained in customer service & hotel cleanliness.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank C J G
Reviewed 10 October 2013

First off We were here with a group for the HOG rally. I called the night before and asked if I would be charged on my debit credit card as I was arriving on a Thursday and didn't get paid until Friday ( I pay cash do not do credit). I was advised that I would be ok and nothing would be charged. Then I arrived and was declined Duhhhhh I said I wouldn't have funds until midnight Friday Morning. The manager was just plain out RUDE !!!!! even slammed a piece of paper in front of me and said read if you can't hear me... I proceeded to be asked by a friend when he was walking by and I explained the deal then the Manager started to yell at the top of her lungs. Then I got mad and slammed the front counter.. She refused to understand that they made a mistake on the phone to me and came just short of calling me a liar.

I ended up paying for the first night cash/credit that I had and she still never apologized for the error. The lady in the morning said she was ashamed and that she was out of hand......

As for the Hotel or Lodge they call it is was OK at best It is older and out dated in some cases. but we knew this as we stayed there the previous two years when it was Ramada.

We were given access to play corn hole on the back deck and even had a pizza party there and I even feed their night front desk that night.

Still need a lesson in customer service for the management.

Room Tip: Ok but not many rooms have a view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank mike l
LakeChatugeLodge, General Manager at Lake Chatuge Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2013

Thank you for your review of Lake Chatuge Lodge. We have greatly enjoyed having the GA State Hog Rally here for the past 3 years.

I apologize, again, for the confusion with your checkin. Per the hotel's policy, a credit card must be used to guarantee the reservation. Upon checkin, this credit card is authorized, not charged, for the stay. It is not until checkout that the credit card is actually charged. Unfortunately, if you are trying to use a credit card with no funds available, the credit card will not be able to authorize at checkin. I tried to offer to have you pay cash since this would avoid the full amount being authorized on your credit card but you wanted to put it on a credit card and you did not have any cash on you.

Again, we enjoyed having the Hog Rally and look forward to having the group back again in 2015!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hiawassee
Ridges Resort & Marina
Holiday Inn Express Hiawassee
Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa
Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa
#1 of 2 in Young Harris

Been to Lake Chatuge Lodge? Share your experiences!