“Unethical!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 5 Hiawassee B&B and Inns
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Unethical!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

I received their email with all their instructions and information which they told me in their email to bring w/ me when I came. INCLUDED IN THEIR EMAIL WERE INSTRUCTIONS ABOUT PETS INDICATING THEY WERE NOT ALLOWED ON THE BED, I HAD TO CLEAN UP AFTER THEM, ETC. When I came down in the AM, the woman (very rudely) said pets were not allowed. I told her she sent me info in their email indicating they WERE allowed and I had the paperwork to prove it. She denied sending it. I asked her HOW ELSE WOULD I HAVE RECEIVED THEIR INFORMATION? She did not reply to this other than stating they 'would not have sent that to me since I was staying in the B&B'. I showed her the info THEY SENT via email and she NEVER apologized for THEIR MISTAKE in sending it to me, NEVER ADMITTED they even sent it! She said my voucher indicated no pets to which I replied, ' I would have not brought them if they had not ALSO sent me information saying pets WERE allowed'. Seemed to me the voucher info was old and the CURRENT info that they, themselves sent said pets WERE ALLOWED.Then she told me I could rent the cabin for $100. more. This seemed like a BAIT AND SWITCH tactic to me. I was not happy. It was their mistake,so she could have said I could have the cabin for free for that last one night or at the very least only be charged $50 due to THEIR ERROR! But that did not happen. Then they even charged me tax for BOTH nights, even though I only stayed one night! The least they could have done is paid the tax themselves since I was losing an entire night (due to their error) that had been paid for! I paid $155. for the two nights and only stayed one night! That place is hardly worth $155. plus tax a night!!! The TV didn't work and the bathroom was smelly. My room was directly above the kitchen so she obviously did not hear the dogs at all (or I am sure now, she would have come upstairs to yell at me!) and she obviously didn't even know they were there until I came down to take them out for their morning potty. I heard her in the kitchen, and my room reeked of bacon smell from her cooking breakfast. It was nauseating, especially since I am a Vegan (which they had been made aware of at my booking time) They were whispering between themselves when I came back into the kitchen from taking the dogs out, (and put them into my car since they were now not allowed to be in there. And it was extremely COLD that day) saying obviously something about me or they would have spoken in their regular previous manner and voice level. Their actions alluded to this observation. It was a very long drive to get there and they were less than cordial, accommodating, professional, or courteous! I have stayed at numerous B&B's and cabins and this was the WORST experience I have ever had. As a business person, they surely did not promote their business in any way to advance it! I would never bring my dogs to a place if they were not allowed, and I was paying a house-sitter to care for my other dogs at home so why would I bring a dog if I knew they were not allowed?? If I am given info telling me they are allowed, info THEY sent to me and info I SHOWED THEM AND PROVED THEY SENT TO ME, and I bring the dogs, the least the people could do is acknowledge their error and accommodate me because of their error. I wish I could rate this less than a 1 but that is not an option!! My advise, call them just before you leave your house in case they have changed their rules at the last minute or in case they have sent you WRONG information and do not rely on any information they send to you. And if you do call and leave a message, don't go their until you have actually spoken with them because you cannot assume that what they sent to you is at all accurate!! They did call me, eventually, but they called the day I was leaving, and I did not get their message until I returned home because they called the day I left to go there and I had already left my house because it was a 6 hour drive to get there! Had they called the night before I could have double checked with them concerning all the info they had sent. When I arrived, the man said he thought I was not going to come since I had booked it several months before and thought I would have forgotten. ?? That made no sense to me! Guess they had hoped I would not show up. OR... Maybe they found their error before I arrived, though they did not admit it to me, and figured they would end up making an additional $100. out of me staying in their cabin instead! I am speculating this, simply because their actions were so non-professional and simply rude!

Room Tip: Don't stay above the kitchen unless you like the stench of food being cooked which will be perme...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
8 Thank RevJulie
Windycindi, Owner at Henson Cove Place B&B, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
This is really disturbing to have to reply to this review. I'm going to go through your review piece by piece and hopefully clarify some things.

1. The only attachment to your reservation confirmation was directions. We have the actual e-mails and nowhere is there an attachment for the Cove Covenants. You took it upon yourself to download from our website the Cove Cabin Covenants which had nothing to do with your stay. They pertain to the Cove Cabin only. Henson Cove Place B&B has been in business for almost 23 years and we have been innkeepers here for the last 8 1/2 years. Pets have NEVER been allowed in the B&B. Period. We host other guests and they may have allergies to pet dander, etc. The fine print policy on the Living Social voucher stated that no pets were allowed. Our website also states that pets are NOT allowed in the B&B. Just as I said to you, we would not have sent that info to you because we had no idea that you were bringing pets. You made no indication that you were bringing pets nor did you ask permission to do so.

2. We offer as an upgrade to the Living Social package one other room and our Cove Cabin. The Cove Cabin is pet friendly and we have had guests who have had no problem paying the upgrade if they want to bring a pet or extra guests. We were not trying to rip you off by offering you that $100 option for your last night. Actually the upgrade would have been only $50 since you already spent one night in the B&B. Had we known you were bringing pets, we would have offered that option to you in the first place.

3. Stated in the fine print of the Living Social voucher, taxes for the package are the responsibility of the purchaser and are payable directly to the property. We collect this upon check-out. We have been working with Living Social for three years having run five different specials and serving over 850 different couples. Approximately 30% of purchasers never come to stay and are not redeemed. Who do you think has to pay the taxes on all those packages? We have had people skip out on paying these taxes and have had to pay them ourselves.

4. Dave checked you in and since you were alone, asked you if you were by yourself. You never said at that time that you brought pets. He had no idea. He gave you the tour and we're sure he told you that the flat screen in Rainy’s Hideaway room only played music CDs and movie DVDs. There is an over 200-DVD library in the common living room. The room did not smell. It had just been cleaned. Yes, we knew you were vegan and catered to your diet needs. Other guests were here at the same time you were and had bacon for breakfast. We are a B&B and we cook bacon. We never heard your dogs or knew they were in the B&B until just before you came downstairs. We don’t live in the B&B, but in a separate cottage on the property. How would we know that you brought them? While cooking breakfast we heard their tap-tapping on the floor and wondered what in the world the noise was and then finally figured it out. Sorry, if we were rude, but that was just totally unexpected and unethical!

5. We do not change our policies on a whim. We have had the same policies since we started in 2005. It is not our fault if you took it upon yourself to download a form that had nothing to do with your stay. Basically you snuck in your pets and expected us to accept that. We called you the day of your arrival to find out what time you were checking in as you had already missed your 3 p.m. arrival time stated on your reservation request. Dave made the comment when you checked in about you not showing up because you were past your check-in time and we have had plenty of people just not show up, not call or anything. Yes, we have actually had people forget about their reservations. Plus, we worry about guests if they are late and we don’t hear from them. We have had several guests come in from Charlotte, NC and it is only about a 3 1/2 hour drive. If you turned it into a six hour drive to get here, that is your choice.

6. We see that you frequent B&Bs often. There are not too many B&Bs that do accept pets, unless they are larger and can set aside a room specifically for pets. The majority of B&Bs do NOT accept pets. Your grading of our bed and breakfast was malicious and unnecessary due to your own error. We appreciate you purchasing our Living Social package. May we suggest that you leave your pets at home and stick to hotel venues?

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

I want to thank Mariah and Dave for being excellent hosts! The space is beautiful and invites you to relax and feel at home. It is tucked away off the road but just a few minutes away are great restaurants and beautiful mountain drives. We stayed in the garden suite and found it the perfect space. I especially like the fact that the owners added special little touches in case you happened to forget anything. Breakfast was amazing both days and held us nearly to dinnertime. I loved the cozy dining area with big windows and a warm fireplace. It was nice to come home to a bottle of wine and chocolate covered strawberries. Be sure to check out the magnificent pine tree in from of the B&B.

I am not sure what the fuss is about the locks. This is a safe place where I did not think twice about leaving things in the room. I don't expect locks on my doors when I visit friends and this felt very much the same.

I would definitely stay here again. Many, many thanks to Mariah and Dave!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vanessa J
Thank you Vanessa for such a lovely review. We so enjoyed hosting you and hope that you get a chance to come back and enjoy some more peace and comfort. Spring and Summer are beautiful with lots of green and flowers. Come on back, we'll spoil you some more. Have a Happy 2014!
Thomasville, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

Not your typical B&B. Mariah and David are amazing hosts and make you feel completely at home. Breakfasts are divinely gourmet and the king bed in the mountain view room was very comfortable. The garden view suite is exactly that, a spacious suite with small private bath. One more room upstairs offers more comfort. We are looking forward to returning with family for a stay in the adjoining property cabin. The cabin is equipped with kitchenette, three queen beds, 2 up, one down with gas fireplace and TV. Lots to do in surrounding area: Brasstown Bald, Helen, waterfalls just to name a few!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rose F
We thank you and Hiawassee thanks you! Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We look forward to hosting you and possibly family again in our Cove Cabin. Y'all come back now, ya heah!
Marietta, Georgia, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

When we checked in David the owner told us our rooms did not need to be locked, no one locked their homes in the area because everyone owned guns. Our room the Garden Suite actually could only be latched when we were inside the room. So when we left the premise we could not lock the room so other guests and owners had complete access to our belongings. I felt this to be unsafe and a lack of privacy. Also, the towels had a horrible odor. So much so when you showered you felt like you weren't clean after drying off. Overall decor was very dated.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
MADISON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

We only have good things to say. Dave and Mariah were friendly, nice and informative. They had a freshly made breakfast every morning. Which I didn't need but ate anyway! ;-) Delicious!
This was a time for my husband and I to just get-away. It was so nice. Loved her decorations!
I can't say enough good things. It was our first Bed & Breakfast but, won't be our last!! The Groupon price made it an even better deal.

Room Tip: Our room was upstairs and very quite and private. I can't compare to others because that is the...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

Dave and Mariah's bed and breakfast is absolutely the most welcoming place! We were greeted and shown to our room (the one upstairs, which is very private), and helped with any questions we might have about the area. After we arrived back from an excursion in to nearby Hiawassee, we were greeted with wonderful chocolate-covered strawberries and wine. We enjoyed all this on a porch swing which looked up in to the mountains. So, if you're looking for a very private escape, this is it! The only negative aspect, is that it is about a 15 min. drive in to the town for dinner. AND be sure to check out all the restaurants on the lake - very relaxing.

Room Tip: Ask for the upstairs bedroom and bath!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Crestview, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

The place was nice, but our setting room had the worst musty smell ever.
Well worth the Groupon price we paid, the extra touches almost made up for the missed sleep because of the smell.
We used a blanket from the closet and it had the bad odor as well.
We opened the windows and kept the door open, but the smell did not go away.
Total Bummer as the food and extra touches were great, not to mention the fantastic chocolate covered strawberries!
We looked at one of the cabins and it was really nice, perhaps we can get the cabin if we decide on a return trip.
The owners were very nice and friendly, great rocking chair front porch, too bad sleep was the only thing missing from our stay.

Room Tip: Do not get the Garden Suite.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Windycindi, Owner at Henson Cove Place B&B, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
We are so sorry you missed out on sleep in the Garden Suite. Guests getting good sleep is very important in this business. We wish you would have said something. We will give that room some major attention. We appreciate your honesty.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hiawassee
Lake Chatuge Lodge
#1 of 1 in Young Harris
Paradise Hills Resort & Spa
Paradise Hills Resort & Spa
#1 of 18 in Blairsville

Been to Henson Cove Place B&B? Share your experiences!