“Outdated disappointed terrible breakfast”

Holiday Inn Express Hiawassee
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Hiawassee
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Outdated room's. Missing the desktop friendly electrical outlets. Had to pull out furniture unplug light's to charge my devices. The free Holiday Inn Express breakfast continues to be a big disappointment. Time for a overhaul HIE ?

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Tom C
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hiawassee, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear Tom C,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with feedback about your stay. It is unfortunate the accommodations you received prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We do take these reviews very seriously as they help to us to target any problem areas that need updating. We have shared your comments with the staff and are confident they will aid in ensuring our guests have the best experience possible.

Adrian D

Reviewed 22 March 2014

We checked in and the phone in the room wasn't working which made me uncomfortable to not be able to reach the front desk in case of an emergency. I was transferred to another room which had other problems, not the least of which was the A/C which was making horrible noises. We were put into another room and found out the next morning that the shower only ran very lukewarm water so was given a temp pass to another room to shower. This has not been a good experience and I would definitely not stay here again. There's not much choice here though. The breakfast is marginal at best. If you have a choise, do not stay here.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Nancy W
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hiawassee, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear Nancy W,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please allow us to apologize for the issues you had with your room accommodations and any inconvenience you may have encountered that did not live up to your expectations. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and guest services are superior and strive to be the best hotel around. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Stayed at the property while travelling on business. Admittedly, I got there after midnight and left the next morning after breakfast, so I did not get a chance to see much of the property or take advantage of the amenities. Certainly, this is an older looking property with very dated architecture. However, other than an ice bucket that had been used as a trash can and hadn't been emptied by the maid, the room and common areas was clean and tidy. The rooms are considerably larger than I expected and included a sitting area with a sofa and table and a dorm refrigerator and microwave. Breakfast was generous and good.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank gwmullis
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I read the reviews on here prior to booking. Some people were complaining about the hot tub not working and since I was not planning on using the hot tub it really did not matter. This is an older Holiday Inn Express but it is MUCH cleaner than some of the other ones I have stayed in. I was surprised with how large my room was and I think most hotels would classified it as a suite. The bed was great and got the best night of sleep I have had in several weeks. The towels in the bathroom were very soft and bright white. I guess they must be new. The lady at the front desk who greeted me when I arrived was very friendly and helpful in finding a place to eat since this town during this time of year basically shuts down. Their breakfast is also more than your typical continental style spread. Not only will I stay here again, I would also recommend it to people traveling to this area.

Overall, I would say that it is a 3 star hotel with 5 star service.

Room Tip: I really liked my kingsize bed and this particular room even had a jetted tub. Not much of a view bu...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank BrtArt22
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Had a great stay at the HIE, Stacie was very helpful with reservations and directions. The entire staff was great. The breakfast was great and the kids loved the indoor pool. We will see you guys again.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor and nice that they have doors blocking elevator and stair noise.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 February 2014

My family stayed here for two nights for a BBQ contest. The room had two queen beds one was nice and soft the other was not. I think my bed lacked the mattress topper the other one had. The breakfast was what you would expect from a Holiday Inn and our hallway reeked of chlorine. The lady working the front desk was very pleasant and fixed our TV.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hiawassee, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

Dear Cordelia L,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is regrettable to see the accommodations you received prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We were glad to see the staff was helpful and a highlight of your experience. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D

Reviewed 7 February 2014

Our daughter attends a local college and so we have made several trips to the area. We have tried multiple other hotels and found this to be our favorite. It is conveniently located to many things. The staff is outstanding and very friendly. Unfortunately the hot tub did not work well as in other reviews. This seems to be the only negative.
We stayed in a king suite with a pullout couch so our daughter could stay with us if she wanted. Room complete with microwave and fridge. Breakfast with numerous choices and the best cinnamon rolls made just for the hotel chain. Most of the hotels in the area are outdated as this one seems to be as well. The place however is very clean. The entire area is safe. There are many restaurants, but some are a drive as is everything in this area of the mountains.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Toni P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hiawassee
Lake Chatuge Lodge
Best Western Milton Inn
Best Western Milton Inn
#3 of 3 in Blairsville
Holiday Inn Express Suites Murphy

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hiawassee? Share your experiences!