“WARNING: This review is long, but I cover it all.”
Review of Huey Luey's

Huey Luey's
Ranked #1 of 84 Restaurants in Hiram
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I have lived in this area since January and have visited countless Mexican restaurants trying to find a good one near my home with NO LUCK. I will have to admit that I avoided Huey Luey's because it had that restaurant chain feel from the exterior. In my experience, chains are not good for Mexican food. To say I was skeptical about Huey Luey's would be a big understatement. In this case, I was dead wrong! Huey Luey's food was DELICIOUS!

I will start by saying that our small party of two was seated right away at just after 9pm on a Friday night. That is not the case at a lot of mediocre chain restaurants. It was a pleasant surprise. Our waitress was right on the spot to get our drink order and answer any questions. She was very nice and had obviously been a pro in the service industry for a while. I did something I rarely do these days at Mexican restaurants and ordered a beer because she mentioned that the beer was kept at a guaranteed cold temperature. I was not disappointed in the least. My girlfriend ordered a sangria margarita. I normally don't drink "girly" drinks, but I tried hers and it was delicious! The waitress brought the chips and salsa. The chips were perfectly light and thin and the salsa was bursting with flavor. My girlfriend also ordered the guacamole. It was as fresh as if they made it at the table. They should consider doing that. While we were waiting for our food, the manager came by to ask about our experience and if he could get us anything. We told him everything was great so far and he gave us an envelope labeled as a free gift for our next visit. Right before I ripped open the envelope, I noticed that I was not allowed to do so. If I bring back the sealed envelope within 10 days, I will get the free gift. Honestly I don't care if it a free cheese dip or a small 5% off, I am going to be back within 10 days to find out. I am intrigued. Plus the food is so good that I will use any excuse to return.

Everyone has their dish that they use to compare one restaurant to another. For sports bars, it might be the burger or wings. For Mexican food, my measure is the fajita nachos. It is my absolute favorite dish. It may not be the most "authentic" of Mexican dishes, but it is a really good measure of the overall food quality. I have to say that Huey Luey's provided the absolute BEST Texas fajita nachos I have ever tasted. My excitement about the dish started when the waitress asked me how I preferred my steak. I almost didn't know what to say because past experience told me the steak was pretty much all the same. It is usually a cheap cut cooked just enough so that you can chew it, but you don't mind because of the seasoning. I figured I would humor her and order mine medium rare thinking it would come out like all of the others I have tasted on this dish. I WAS WRONG!!! The steak was a good cut of beef. It and the chicken and shrimp were cooked to absolute perfection! Everything about this dish was perfect. From the perfectly cooked meat to the perfect consistency of the cheese (no oil separating from it) to the thickness of the chips used (thick enough not to get soggy), this dish was engineered for perfection.

My girlfriend ordered the Baja fish tacos. They were delicious especially with the spicy (chipotle?) mayonnaise. The accompanying rice was cooked and seasoned to perfection. The beans were out of this world. Most Mexican restaurants have mushy refried beans sprinkled with a little cheese. This was more like a perfectly cooked bean soup with flavorful spices and tastes of bacon.

As we dined on this exquisite meal, we took notice of the attention to detail. The different thicknesses of the tortilla chips, the cheese consistency and how the meat was prepared to compliment the dish was second to none. The level of service matched the quality of the food.

In the past, I have found that most of the best Mexican food comes cheap compared to the normal experience of dining out. Huey Luey's prices are more along the lines of a decent chain, but their food quality more than makes up for the price difference. As an example, the prices at the most popular Mexican food chain compare, but the quality does not. Huey Luey's is MUCH better! I don't visit that other chain EVER.

I offer only a little constructive criticism to Huey Luey's. The live music was a little too loud for a dinner crowd. I found myself yelling across the table and yelling to place my order. Please just turn the music down a bit so that people can enjoy conversation while they listen to good live music.

All in all, I have definitely found THE Mexican restaurant for this area. I may eat Mexican less than normal because of the prices, but not much less. It is ok to pay a little more for food of superior quality. I will definitely be back soon. I can't wait to see what is in the envelope! 4 1/2 stars from me if it was possible.

3  Thank JustRobb

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Expect good service and good food. Sometimes the wait can be long, especially Fridays and Saturdays 6pm to close.

Sue S, Owner at Huey Luey's, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thank you!

Reviewed 2 July 2014

My family and I chanced to have lunch at Huey Luey's Mexican Restaurant in Hiram, GA today. It was wonderful! The food was great but the service we received from "Hope" our server, was just fantastic. They have a wide selection of items for lunch and dinner as well as tasty desserts. I recommend it and hope you will find the experience delightful as we did.

2  Thank David P
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I've been a few times now, I really like the setup of the restaurant each little area seems quite different from the rest.

Each time I've come I've had great service, never ran out of water, not visited too many times or too few times, quick service. Also each time had been greeted by managers asking how things were (we don't complain)

I got really sick after eating fish tacos I thought maybe it was just me not the tacos but the next day my boyfriend ate my leftovers and got really sick as well.

I don't remember what I ordered the other two times, I remember really loving one thing, and feeling disappointed with the other. Presentation always looks nice.

Also I really love the salsa here, better flavor then quite a few places I've been.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

The place was jumping at 7pm on aTuesday and the service was quick and effective. I was very surprised as to how quickly we received our drinks and appetizers. The waitress had many tables and within a few minutes was available to take our order. I felt like a chicken salad with a side of rice and refried beans. Before finishing my first Corona which could have been a little colder my meal arrived. Great salad and well cooked grilled chicken. No other surprises but a very nice experience

Been to Huey Luey's? Share your experiences!