“These owners need customer servises training”

The Red Lion Riverside Caravan & Camping Park
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Norton
The Red Lion Riverside Caravan & Camping Park
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We telephoned the campsite on the day we were due to arrive to see if they had an electric hook up for tents for to nights. We were told yes no problems but we had to get there for 7.30 (which we did). On our arrival we were greeted by a woman pointing for us to go and park ( no smile or a welcome friendly face. We went to pay but told that we could not have electric hook up as they were full up. We sat waiting for others to show up that night and Saturday but only to find that they had lied and all the 14 electric hook up points remained empty. Come on people if you want people to return to this lovely area then a smile or at least friendly person on arrival would be great for visitors. WE WILL NOT BE VISITING AGAIN WHICH IS A SHAME. as you do have a lovely site, well apart from the shower block which could do with a little paint. We felt like you only wanted the money and did not feel valued as customers. Very rude people..... do not stay at this site.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank nsmith1971

Reviewed 6 June 2013

You are looking for the worse service you have ever received!

We had booked via the internet to stay one night, on arrival we stated we were thinking of staying an extra night only to be told "You have booked in for one night and that is all you are going to get" even though the site was almost empty! The guy then told one of his grounds men "stick them in there" being like a holding ground.

In all honesty we stood there with our mouths open because we thought we had heard wrong..........

We went to pay and the wife was just as rude and it was as much as she could do to even look at us let alone speak!

Out of about 8 toilets only 3 where working, 4 where closed of and one had a out of service on the door. The cobwebs, smell, cracked peeling paint made me really think we where being filmed for some sit com!!

When I finally saw my brother who lives approx 8 miles away he said he went to the pub about 15 years ago and the service was so bad he had never been back!!

We had traveled up from Poole, in Dorset to see my brother who had been very ill and had only been out of hospital a short time.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank juliemills4
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Myself my partner and my 3 sons and two dogs ,along with 2 friends their two children and two dogs went to visit the pub as it was a lovely hot day. Upon arrival after unloading my sons and our dogs the scruffy looking owner then told us all we had to leave due to he didn't like the look of our dogs. There was about 3 other family sat enjoying the great weather they didn't seem to find our dogs scary or unpleasant. The 5 children was very very upset. That we had to leave. Location is nice by the river that is why we visited.

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Gdmkl
Reviewed 19 May 2013 via mobile

Nice rural and peaceful setting but sitting on a flood plain so very musty smelling toilets and showers and worse still was the so called shop. I suspect this is a result of regular flooding... I went without a shower rather than risk it! There were a lot of cobwebs and cracked peeling paint in the shower blocks and they def didn't receive a clean during our weekend stay. There were little pink bars of soap that looked all cracked and dried out scattered around the basins. There were toilet rolls so that was a positive!

We had a generous pitch size but thought the owners/managers were two of the most miserable people we had ever seen. On arrival we were confronted by all the negative signs starting with "Dont do"this and "Dont do" that. Then, the guy, who didnt smile, make any eye contact just fired questions and totted up how much money our 2night stay would be. Took the money and didnt speak again.

the 2nd day, my 2 year old daughter tried to make conversation with the lady as she was planting some flowers and was just completely ignored. Not even a smile!
They gave me the impression that they didnt really like children or families staying there.

Dogs are allowed and must be kept on lead at all times with exercising across the road. We felt this to be fair and reasonable.

I think this is due to all the cats wondering about the campsite.

On walking our young dog in an adjacent field my husband took him off the lead for a good run about. It was extremely quiet. However, unfortunately the dog dipped under the fence and across the road, dipped under the gate and ran straight back onto the campsite (much to our horror). My husband was running & shouting our dog in an effort to re-call him when the woman spotted what had happened and immediately remarked 'Dogs are to be on the lead when on the campsite' in quite a rude tone. Having to stop and acknowledge the woman and offer re-assurance that attempts were being made to recall she simply responded with 'well you are not shouting very loud'. My husband responded with 'clearly, you are not listening very hard!' This kind of set the tone!!! And the conversation merely delayed trying to prevent our cocker spaniel dog running back to our tent!

We were a family with 2 young children. We didn't see any other children there.

The site is a great place to explore local attractions etc. but there are many others in the area also able to offer this. We wouldn't go back there again.

I think if you are staying in a caravan and are someone in your 50's or over then you fulfil a more desirable patron criteria.

• Stayed: May 2013
4  Thank JayneLeig
Reviewed 3 May 2013

We went to the Red Lion on Wednesday. When we parked we saw a sign saying do not park unless you are a patron. We immediately bought a round of expensive drinks. We had bought a picnic with us and headed as far away from the picnic tables as we could. We filled our plates with food and then was told by the very rude landlord that picnics were not allowed - he then disappeared. The kids and I quickly starting eating our food so that we could leave. 1 minute later he appeared and asked us to leave immediately. We had to throw most of the food away and leave. This is the fourth time I have been to the Red Lion and the Landlord and his wife are the rudest people I have ever met. If the grassy area was busy I would understand but no-one else was there! It is such a big shame as it is such a lovely venue but it ruined our day! Will never be returning and people I know who have caravans have also decided long ago that they will not return either! The country is struggling as it is and pubs etc are closing every day so it is unbelievable that a businessman can run his business in such a way!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank gemini67
Reviewed 3 April 2013

What a shame...a beautiful location but rude, unhelpful and ungrateful staff. We were made to feel like we were an inconvenience. Our drinks weren't even delivered to our table!! We left and went to hawbridge up the road for a far more friendly and welcoming experience. Don't go to this pub (at least until it changes hands) the service was poor and the food was even worse!

• Stayed: April 2013
5  Thank JessDavis1974
Reviewed 23 August 2011

We arrived on a glourious Sunday afternoon to be served by Sam the manager who made us feel very unwelcome. We needed a plaster and when we asked for one we were abruptly answered 'no'. We took our drinks out to the beer garden to sit on dirty and wonky seats where you could enjoy the sounds of the waitress shouting your table number out from over the other side of the road where you need to collect your meal.
Lovely setting, rude service and the building needing a lot of love.

8  Thank Thebakersdozen

Been to The Red Lion Riverside Caravan & Camping Park? Share your experiences!