“Do not give these people your money!”

The Red Lion Riverside Caravan & Camping Park
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Norton
The Red Lion Riverside Caravan & Camping Park
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We only went to the place for a drink at the pub so I don't know about the camping. The place is covered in signs telling you that you are on private property, don't fish, don't eat your own food, don't play ball games etc. Hugely unwelcoming!

The place was very empty and we went to the garden to get a table and leave stuff before going to the bar. We were glared at the whole time by a woman standing by the window with her arms crossed practically daring us to sit down without buying a drink.

My brother and father went to get the drinks and were treated like dirt. The drinks came to just under £9 and you have to spend £10 to use a card, so my brother said he'd have some packets of crisps as well, the total was now £9.95, he said "I take it you'll let me off the 5p" and she glowered at him again and said it's not her decision and went to get her father. He was also increadibly rude and arrogant but eventually decided after a lot of huffing and puffing that he would except the payment.

We all felt miserable at the place, resentful at having given them any money and left as soon as possible.

Truly horrible experience!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank 957lilac

Reviewed 1 September 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights, arrived after work one evening to meet our family who were pitched up and ready.

Stopped at the gate to read the petty rules and to phone our family to meet them. Immediately we were approached by a crossed-armed woman (no hello), my boyfriend explained our situation and was answered with, "pft, she didn't say you were gonna be this late."

Never have we felt so unwelcome in such a short "conversation" (if you can call it one!)

Pooey smell from sceptic tank, crispy, peeling toilet walls. Spider central, comfortable in their thick webs. Woman constantly watching you like a hawk.

Went to their pub for dinner, menu said food stops at 9.00, went to bar to ask about food, Man just as useless as woman. No greeting, just a sharp response of "No" and turned away to leave us to walk off, shocked.

Went.fishing, £5 per person to the woman who only sells the tickets between 10.30am and 11.30am.

As we drove off on our last day at 11.10am, she watched us pass, shaking her head as we were supposed to leave at 11 or pay a £5 fee. No way.

We did not want to fund that family any more.

I wish that they did not run it as the location is lovely, good fishing area and walks/wildlife, saw a seal in the river! Little fish that peck at your feet (free pedicure!) friendly ducks that are tame and feed from your hand.

If only the money we paid went to people who didn't make you feel like a burden. The only friendly thing about that woman was her cat! I can't help but wonder if they know they are rude and don't care?
Why don't they learn?

You don't have to deal with her much though.

£13 for 1 tent a night 4 people, we had to pay £17 as we had 5 people.

Gloucester and Tewkesbury both lovely towns.

9  Thank Inominati
Reviewed 28 August 2013

If you are in the hospitality business then you need to be hospitable.
On arrival we 'Stopped Before Entering Site and Report to Reception' then a rather disgruntled lady came running over and TOLD me to pull the car into the site before coming into reception to report in!!!!!!!!
No welcome just rules, rules, rules and that we should not chase the ducks because we were privileged to be in their garden!
I am 46 not 6 and would like a warm welcome and to be treated like an adult with some common sense. I paid for the 'privilege' to be in their garden. I actually requested when booking, an electric hook up and was told that there were none available as they were all taken. When told to park anywhere in the middle of the field I then looked around the outer edge and counted over three quarters of the electric hook ups available and they were still available on our departure.
We arrived on the bank holiday and were told in no uncertain terms that food will not be served after 7 pm.. We rushed to get the tent up as we only had an hour and were hungry after our 4 hour journey and were in the middle of nowhere.
Rushed to the pub and were 'unwelcomed' by a dirty looking man who stank of cigarettes behind the bar. Purchased a drink in plastic glasses and inquired about food. It was again drummed into me that I needed to be quick as the kitchen would shut at 7pm SHARP!!
On looking at the menu I assumed that because of the prices the food would be that of a bistro pub using the finest cuts of meat, oh sorry I meant that looking at the prices that they were taking the mick. Who would pay £7 for a jacket potato??? or £7 for a bap!!!! I decided to wait with the wasps to see if someone else would have their food delivered, sorry, have their food left on a pedestal across the road and number shouted. On seeing an unlucky customers food it looked as though it was brought in the back of a van the day before, nuked within an inch of it's life and thrown in a dirty plastic bowl. I escaped to Gloucester and found some FOOD!
The three days we were there I didn't shower as it was disgusting, the mops in the cubicles were yellow and the water in the buckets was stagnant. The shower/toilet block should be condemned.
We adhered to the 10PM curfew and decided that we were supposed to be on holiday not in some kind of punishment regime.
The friendly matriarch would drive around in her 4 x 4 three times a day to check that everyone was in line and adhering to her 10 commandments and that the ducks were not being run ragged by unruly HOLIDAY MAKERS!
There were no closed bins we had to throw our rubbish in open skips which was lovely and hygienic.
We left a day early and will NEVER return. These people are not suited for the tourist trade. If I was a bricky I would of bricked up their door as in an episode of 'Auferdersehn Pet', they should be closed down and not be in the business of happiness and relaxation.
We were not very impressed.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank AFCD0ns
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Just arrived back home after one nights stay, and had to submit a review straight away!
Agree totally with all of these reviews. We are not seasoned campers but have travelled the world! A smilie and a warm welcome is not much to ask for? On arrival during the 'grumpy' check in, the lady owner was shouting through her Walkie talkie to her grandson, threatening to smack his bum! Nice - not! After being told the first set of rules......We pitched up on the site - the views are lovely and the tent pitch level and well drained. Myself, my husband, 3yr old son and our dog headed up to the pub for a late lunch. A very grumpy landlord informed my husband that his card would not be acceptable as a guarantee for the tab for lunch and two drinks as we were sat outside! Two lame baskets of scampi and chips £7 each! arrived and your number is shouted out and left at the side of the road- you have to collect it if you are sat opp the pub by the river! We were the only ones eating and the guy couldn't walk 5 metres to us?????
The loos are ok- not as bad as India! They are in need of a good clean and a lick of paint. I wouldn't touch the showers! Gross!
We went out to the nearest sainsburys to get our supper as we were not going going to repeat the lunchtime experience!
Overall the location is nice but the site is not worth the hassle- poor attitude and grumpy site owners, loos that are way to far away and a pub that serves deep fried food with pints in plastic glasses and hostile atmosphere. What a shame they have wasted an opportunity to make this a fab family campsite. Will not be returning ever!

3  Thank Orchardportman
Reviewed 4 August 2013

The owner is just a rude and ignorant human being
Saw his brown nictinined, long finger nailed hand serving chicken in the basket (how 70's)- and then 'handle' himself- whilst calling out the food number.
Shirt unbuttoned 3/4 of way down exposing his (large) belly
Children not welcome either
Great location- if only someone with a CSE in hospitality could buy this place- they'd make a fortune
Don't go- please...!

5  Thank Jeevesthebutler1
Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

Not exactly a fine start to be welcomed by the owner making homophobic remarks about some of his guests. Surly, rude and totally unhelpful when he couldn't correctly work out our booking details. The location is lovely but the facilities are tired and dirty. Cheap but you most definitely get what you pay for.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank PointyHairedBoss78
Reviewed 3 August 2013

people owning this site or running it want to learn to be more hospitable to there customers.and they definatly want to look at the appaling toilet block they were disgusting they wernt cleaned in the 4 days we were there the shower didn't empty and the light did not stay on long enough for you to shower especially if you were washing your hair .twice went to the toilets to find no paper and the décor went with the smell disgusting .what a real shame this site could be brill in the right hands

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sanslesou

Been to The Red Lion Riverside Caravan & Camping Park? Share your experiences!