“A hollow shell of its past glory”
Review of Woodbridge Inn

Woodbridge Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Jasper B&B and Inns
Dawsonville, Georgia
“A hollow shell of its past glory”
Reviewed 13 October 2010

We’ve been going to the Woodbridge for many years and have always been more than satisfied. Our most recent visit was not only extremely disappointing but rather shocking. The food quality was poor including items overcooked, undercooked and over spiced. It turns out the Woodbridge has gone from utilizing trained, professional chefs to using inexperienced line cooks and it shows. Most appalling was a tall blonde waitress with a substantial odor of alcohol on her breath. The founder, Joe Ruffert was a great man and great restaurateur. We had so much hope that his son, Hans (a trained and highly skilled chef) would take the Woodbridge to the next level. He has done exactly that but has taken it 2 steps in the wrong direction, both food and service. What a shame.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank DavidM4969

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
eatonton
Reviewed 28 August 2010

We used to live near Jasper, GA. The Woodbridge Inn was where we celebrated all of our anniversary dinners. We moved seven years ago and have not been back since. We decided since this was our 25th anniversary, we would stay at the Lodge due to the drive. We made reservations in JUNE! The room was okay. No problem there. (Pool was filthy, Koi pond dry) We arrived at the restaurant expecting a table by the window. We had to wait for a table to be bussed and it was in the back corner! The online menu has change drastically and several menu items are no longer offered. I went with the Wiener Schnitzel. OMG! The 'homemade' spaetzle was cold as was the Barvarian cabbage. They zapped more spaetzle in the microwave and it was so hard and dry it was truly inedible. The 'veal' I swear was a partial pork loin chop pounded to 1/8 inch with 1/2 inch of breading fried for so long that it was tough, dry and also inedible. The serving portion was about 4 ounces of meat. I could NOT believe the experience. Joe Rueffert would be so disappointed that Hans has allowed such poor quality of food to be served. I can't believe the memory we will now endure of our 25th wedding anniversary!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Ocracoke, North Carolina
Reviewed 16 August 2010

not a bad place to stay. dosn't have every thing, but still very nice. jasper is a great place and the weekend we were there, they had free music in the streets. right in the middle of town. they closed off streets and everything. cool stuff for a small, small town. i miss the ice. but found it at a close gas station. i will be back.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
jacksonville
Reviewed 12 May 2009

I have come back to this place a second time for my best friends wedding. I tend to be a princess and love nice hotels but at the same time I enjoy a good ole southern inn full of charm. We had a nice dinner with the wedding party and everyone loved theyre meal.
The staff was very nice from the moment we walked in the door until check out.
The bride had a room in the main inn and it was smaller but I felt nice. And my parents and myself had rooms in the other building with amazing views over the mountains and a large lawn with koi pond in the back. For 65.oo the price cant be beat. I had a two story room with a comfy bed and balcony with rocking chairs.
Also I had wi-fi and a late check out. The staff could not have been more accommodating!
I will be back again and again!!!
I will post my photos of this Inn and its beautiful gardens.
They should clean up the pool is my only complaint but it was still cool this weekend so Im sure they will.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
St Petersburg FL
Reviewed 12 March 2009

We arrived at the inn at 4 pm on a Sunday afternoon. The staff had gone home but our key was waiting for us on the desk. We had booked one of the two story rooms in the "lodge". Make no mistake, this is neither an inn nor a lodge. It is a poorly maintained cheap motel.

When we got to our room, it reeked of smoke, despite the fact that the place is nominally smoke free. There was a coffee pot but no coffee, no glasses of any kind, several burned out lights and lightbulbs, a sticky paper on the nightstand and crumbs on the desk. There was only one bath towel although the reservation was clearly for two people. An empty roll of toilet paper had been left on the holder. Because there is no number you can call to get anyone to deal with problems, and staff does not arrive until 9 o'clock in the morning, I had to dry myself with two handtowels when I took a shower the next day.

We presented our list of complaints to the manager, when we finally found her and she was quite nice and promised that all problems would be remedied that day, which they were. This did not alleviate the fact that the amenities include two small bars of Dial soap, never renewed in a five day stay. No shampoo, body lotion or other articles are offered. Fortunately, I had brought my own.

We finished our business a day earlier than expected and when we went down to let the management know this, they told us that the housekeeper had called in sick and asked if we needed any paper products. We said no. When we returned to our room at 4:15, it had not been cleaned. There were, once again, no clean towels. Fortunately, there was someone cleaning the restaurant, and she was able to get us towels.

At no time were we offered any reduction in our room rate or other compensation for this very bad experience. I could go on with other complaints such as the lack of lighting in the bedroom area, the extremely uncomfortable chairs on the table upstairs, the only place to put your laptop. There is free wi-fi access and it does work well.

At this point, I cannot recommend staying in the Woodbridge Inn.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank goingstrong60
southeast
Reviewed 26 December 2008

Woodbridge Inn is a lovely historic Inn in northern Ga. This is my third visit. They have lodging in the top floor of their historic building, the first floor is a gourmet restaurant. The grounds are quite lovely with antique roses, exotic plantings and a lush lawn. The dining room has huge windows which overlook the grounds, you can see Sharp Top mountain which is a scared mountain to native americans and the adjoining rolling hills. We had the delight of watching a nearby family of groundhogs traverse the lawn. The bird feeders lure an abundance of birds up close near the windows.

The Inn is older and like my fathers 100 plus home, it has its creaks and groans. I enjoy the simple rooms with the big windows. (The upstairs inn is not handicapped accessible) For the great rates I think it is a extraordinary deal. They have another more modern building which features bigger rooms that include a loft space sitting area. These also have lovely views from the rooms. It is not a luxury place or high end bed and breakfast but the beauty of the landscape the comfort of the rooms and the warmth of the hosts, along with the price make this one of my favorite places. Also, it sits right of Main Street Jasper with other yummy places to eat.

• Liked — The lovely environment and warmth of the owners
  • Disliked — The historic bridge next to it is closed
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Georgia
Reviewed 20 October 2008

We have enjoyd the Woodbridge consistenly over the last twenty-five years. For a while we lived an hour away and spent summer holidays at the motel. Later we lived in the Jasper area and dined in the restaurant once per month. For the past year we have moved again but have returned multiple times and stayed in the Inn.

The restaurant is one of our all time favorites. Joe and Brenda Reuffert are great hosts. Joe makes the rounds every night and ensures he talks with all of the guests. His staff is very friendly, attentive, and well trained. Look for the three monthly specials on the menu which are always awesome and reasonably priced.

As for the motel, the lower floor has easy access to the pool. Depending on the day of week and time of day, the pool can be very private due to the few number of rooms in the motel. The landscaping is also very nice. Look for Joe's Koi pond.

The top floor rooms have a spiral stairwell to a loft which can be an adventure for children. All rooms have sufficient seating for two or more persons.

The Inn is very historic. The rooms are outfitted to today's standards and are convenient for one or two persons that are on the go.

The Woodbridge is not a resort but offers a great dining experience in comfortable rooms and nice landscaping.

Stayed March 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jasper
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Jasper
#1 of 4 in Dawsonville
Days Inn Canton
Days Inn Canton
#2 of 7 in Canton

Been to Woodbridge Inn? Share your experiences!