“Relax and Renew Time”

Villas by the Sea Resort & Conference Center
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Jekyll Island
Reviewed 11 May 2010

Excellent hotel. Great location and access to the beach.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 3 May 2010

We just got back from a weekend trip to the Villas by the Sea. First thing was check-in. The only complaint I have about the place was this part. The lady that checked us in was extremely rude. It was about 10:30 at night so Im assuming she was just tired but it was not a very good first impression.
Luckily that was the only bad experience that we had with the hotel. We stayed in "Justin 304." We were very impressed. The place was very well decorated and taken care of. We had everything we needed. Pool was very nice as were the grounds. I would definetely recommend staying here. Its a beautiful place. I dont really care for the beach area behind the villas because the only access is from a pier. my husband and I both went down early in the morning to look for shells and the pier is so slippery after the tide goes out that we both fell off the steps. Not to mention the steps were completely falling apart. Be very cautious. I left with a concussion and my husband left with a cut arm. It can be very dangerous. Other than the pier issue and the lady at the front desk, the villas by the sea is a great place to get away and enjoy yourself.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 March 2010

One night my partner went out to see the ocean and got scared by two raccoons. We thought that this was a freak incident. The next night she went on the patio to relax and to hear the ocean, She was attacked and chased into the room by the same two raccoons. We reported the incident and the establishment did nothing. when we left we saw them going through the trash cans. Also there were blinds broken in the room also, so we could not close the blinds.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hauction
ryan1980, Director of Sales at Villas by the Sea Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2010

Villas by the Sea is located on a lush tropical island owned by the state of Georgia in which only 35% is developed. That is one of the best things about our location. You can experience our resort while experiencing nature. All wild life on Jekyll Island are protected and revered for their beauty. In addition to raccoons, there are numerous birds, squirrels, and deer to name a few. None of which have been reported to have "attacked". The raccoons have been feed by guests in the past, that's why they showed interest in this couple. They caused no harm other than being an animal of the wild.

We were unaware of anything wrong with the blinds, nothing was reported to us so that we could correct the problem if there was one.

Reviewed 10 March 2010

I found the deal online as a March (slow season) half price discount. When we arrived I quickly realized it was the nicest place on the island.
Our room was nice but a little smaller than what I expected from all the pictures online. The restuarant was not too good to be honest but they had free appetizers which was cool.
One misconception we had was the website said the pool was solar heated which made me think it was something nicer than just a regular pool, but it is just a regular pool heated only by the sun.
The first night our hot water went out completely which sucked but they sent maintenance right away to fix it. They didn't fix it all the way so the next night they brought plumbers to the room. There were like 6 plumbers in our room making an insane amount of rackit. Annoying! But the hotel made up for it by switching us to an AWESOME room upgrade.
So far the hotel has been very helpful and it is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2010

Our Villa was clean, very well appointed and every thing we had hoped for . Despite unseasonably cold weather we enjoyed a week of beach walks, bike riding and excellent accommodations. The on site restaurant was an extra surprise. Our Villa (287) had lovely furnishings, was fully outfitted and even had ocean views. We will definitely plan a return visit and will not hesitate recommending it to our friends. Our experience did not bear out all of the negative hype about Jekyll accommodations.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2009

My sister and I had a wonderful stay at Villas By The Sea. We were there to just relax and gear up for a busy autumn. Our villa was clean, all equipment was nice. We loved being on the ground floor and spent several hours on the patio overlooking the garden just reading and relaxing. The restaurant is fabulous.

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed 31 October 2009

We called to get info on the Villas. We were told by reservations person, that the rooms are beautiful . She told us there is a $75 fee per pet for cleaning and sanitizing the room after we leave. We took our 2 little yorkies. When we arrived, we went to the room. We drove from Florida, and my husband has a heart condition. I wanted his 81 birthday to be special. That is why I chose Villas by the Sea. The location was perfect. The room was filthy and extremely outdated. Nothing worked properly. The carpet were stained and spotted. A blanket for the bed had pee spots on it. The furniture was very outdated and dirty. the Wifi did not work. We stayed the night and laid newspapers down on the dirty carpet so the little dogs would not touch it. We complained the next day and were told we should have said something the day before. I explained about my husband needing to rest and the manager did not care. I wanted to leave the next day and the manager told me I would have to pay, whether we stayed or not. I persisted and she finally gave me a refund for the day we would not be staying. She would not refund the pet fee. She said she was sorry but they did not have time to clean the spots because they had people in the room up until we arrived. We have ask and not received any response to our request for a refund, especially on the pet fee that was supposed to be used to clean and sanitize the room. We would not recommend this resort to anyone, expecially with pets. They leave a paper in the room telling you that if you leave your dog alone and it causes a disturbance, they have the local pound pick it up. this is not a pet friendly resort. All the other resorts take you cell phone number and they call you if your dog barks. They do not place a threatening note in a pet friendly room. But then most all the other places would have been clean.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple