“Just Awful”

Jekyll Island Club Resort
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Jekyll Island
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Stayed here for a family getaway, checked in and was advised of the horrible fees. And i couldn't believe my ears when the lady at the front desk advised me not to leave a tip. I aked her why? She told me awful things about the housekeeper's, which i never noticed while i was there. My room was clean perfectly, great tempture, light on, and a wonderful clean smell. Anyway one of the housekeeper's greeted me kindly, so i figured i would ask why are the clerks telling the guest not to tip at departure? She said that the bellman were stealing the tips out of the room, which they walked in on it a few times. I asked how much they get paid a hour she told me 8.75hr, and 1per room and they get about 5 rooms per day or less. She also told me the guest wasn't leaving tips anymore. We stayed at this hotel 5 days and got great service, so why can't we leave a tip. We found the imformation very helpful. Other than that we had an okay trip, but could have been alot better. Love the Historial part of it all.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Mountainshigh1
Write a ReviewReviews (1,285)

Reviewed 25 July 2011

Beautiful grounds and historic buildings. More families with kids than expected. Pool was basic. Restaurant choices were limited on site and off. Good hotel but if looking for an adult, romantic getaway, I would try someplace else.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CABNC123
Reviewed 23 July 2011

Staying at this hotel was something I had been looking forward to as I have attended my niece's rehearsal dinner here a few years ago. I was disappointed in the hotel room for the amount we paid. It was small and not anything special. The drinks and food are expensive.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank ShellyCrossville_TN
Reviewed 22 July 2011

My husband and I have been to the Jekyll Island Club several times. (We live in Savannah.) I would rather go there than anywhere else. Jekyll Island itself is wonderful; the hotel is the best I've ever stayed at. Staff makes you feel like you're a DuPont or a Rockefeller. The Grand Dining Room always reminds me of the dining room on the Titanic--not that it's sinking <vbg>, but the pillars and potted palms and sometimes, a quartet playing as fathers dance with their little girls. The ONLY negative I have is that the handicapped rooms aren't all that easy for the handicapped. Beds are way too high for someone in a wheelchair to make the transfer. But everything else, from frozen drinks by the pool to croquet on the lawn...it's heaven.

Room Tip: at website, get great deals--like a suite w/a living room, fireplaces in both rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2011

I loved this resort!!! We decided to vacation in Jekyll Island, and stay at this resort. The hotel is huge, and the grounds were well maintained. Since we have a toddler, it was important to find a venue that catered to our needs and this was perfect. The hotel has several restaurants, and there were restaurants within walking distance, The Turtle Rehabilitation Center was within walking distance too, and perfect for a morning activity:) The beach was a short drive from our hotel, and the sandbar off of Driftwood beach was so cool!!! Also, St. Simon's Island was about 15min. away, and it was fun to walk around the marina area and see the lighthouse and do some shopping. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 July 2011

My husband and I just spent four nights at the Jekyll Island Club for our anniversary. We come to the club every year for our anniversary. This place never fails to amaze me. The island has become a favorite get away for my husband and I, and the only place we ever stay is the Jekyll Island Club. We average about four trips a year to the club, and some ask why don't you try some other hotel or destination. Our answer is "you don't mess with perfection". My husband and I absolutely love the quiet and peaceful atmosphere of the Club as well as so many great options for dining right on the grounds. You don't have to get in your car and go anywhere if you don't want to because everything you need is right there. Thats what my husband and I typically do because we enjoy being able to relax and not feel like we have to run all over the place, after all that's what vacation is for. The pool is awesome and they are now serving a new drink called the Skinny Margarita. They also now have a spa on the grounds of the hotel and I can't wait to get a chance to try it out. This drink is awesome. We ate at the Grand Dining room and the Cafe' Solterra during our four night stay and the food was fabulous, per usual. If your looking for a place to kick up your heels, rest, and enjoy a great atmosphere then this is the place for you. By the way we have five children ranging in age from 8 to 13 and they love this place. The entire staff is always very nice and helpful. We are bringing them for a seven night stay in July. Can't wait!

Room Tip: get a room in Sans Succi
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2011

We went to Jekyll Island because we have lived in Florida for 15 years and have heard about Jekyll Island for years. Jekyll Island is off the East coast close to the border of Florida. We choose the Jekyll Island Club hotel because we enjoy historical hotels. The islands is small but gives the feel of how it was to go to the "shore" years ago. The Island Club was obviously very grand in it's day. The hotel is made up of many buildings, some are shops, restaurants and different lodging settings. There is a carriage tour that I wish we had taken but by the time we got checked in it was to late, we walked around the grounds which are beautiful and interesting.
We stayed in the main hotel building, the room was very small but comfortable and nicely decorated. The bathroom was also small but modern.
I loved the little shops, the main dining room and the breakfast coffee shop.
The hotel is full of historical stories and very restful and peaceful. There is a good sized pool with a pool bar with excellant drinks and light snacks type foods.
We had a very fun evening listening to music after having a lovely dinner at the restaurant by the canal.
We were only there one night but I wish we had stayed at least one more day.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Ocean Lodge
Ocean Lodge
#5 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Jekyll Ocean Club, a Jekyll Island Club Resort

Been to Jekyll Island Club Resort? Share your experiences!