“Charming”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Jekyll Island
Santa Barbara, California
“Charming”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2011

I spent about 4 weeks at this hotel in December. Sorry for the late review. Yes, there is a tinge of history here. Not everything is super modern. I found the room spacious and comfortable and the staff always friendly. Both bars (pool bar wasn't open) Lobby and Basement were a blast and I can honestly say the hotel was a real haven. Biggest drawback was water pressure in shower and due to a severe cold snap some chilly times in the bathroom.

The charm and the setting over compensate for the drawbacks and if I ever go to Brunswick again I would stay here.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
Long Island New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2011

Inviting Historic Restored Hotel from the 1800.s From days gone by,The Victorian Era. The Hotel was orgionally built by wealthy millioniers to be used as a hunting lodge. A private club for 1/3 of the worlds wealth,all had a share of the island.
They later took family members and built additional homes.
The Gould.s,Rockerfella's Vanderbuilts,Goodyears,Crane etc.
We first went to this hotel in 1999.
They are always painting, repairing or restoring a building in this historic district.
So much was done since our last visit. New walkways, new restored JP Morgan indoor Tennis Courts, converted to a convention center. We stayed in the main hotel and booked the King size room overlooking the pool and river. The sunset over the river is beautiful. It is nice and quiet. The restored staircase is lovely and good exercise to walk up and down.
The Grand Dining Room Is so beautiful. There is an afternoon tea room overlooking the pool. There Sunday Brunch in the main Dining room is wonderful. Get dressed up in your finest.
So many excellent photo opportunities
In the annex the ajoining building, a trolley/tram drives visitors by daily which can be noisy.If your room is located there.
Play croquet on the professional croquet court. Wear all white as they did in the 1880's.
Go on the horse and buggy ride,a nice ride with a good explaination of the grounds.

Room Tip: ask for 4th floor overlooking pool quiet with great sunsets
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RandB2005
Erie, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

Very beautiful grounds to visit but do not stay here.The first thing you experience is the smell,moldy, musty. Be careful if you have allergies or migraines. The staff is very rude.The bartender at the pool was the only nice helpful employee at the resort. The room was very small, two twin beds and a pull out as old as the resort.This was considered a suite for three adults.The price for the worst night sleep was 350. so not worth it oh the pull out already had sheets that were dirty from the last poor guest with the backache.And don't go out after dark for a nice walk around the grounds, the front desk will warn you about the attacking wildlife.(deer).Go figure.To say the least please be warned about this resort if you suffer from migraines.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank laura j
krunner44, General Manager at Jekyll Island Club Resort, responded to this review, 6 September 2011
In response to the above review the hotel would like to extend apologies for a less than perfect stay. Our historic property is 125 years old and we take every effort to preserve the integrity of the building and also keep up with modern standards. Our barrier island does feature wildlife such as deer, but none that would harm or attack guests.
Deltona, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

I surprised my husband for our anniversary with a long weekend trip at the Jekyll Island Club Hotel. Both of us were pleasantly surprised with the beauty and attention to detail that was displayed on the 200 plus acre club. We stayed in San Souci which was built in 1896, our room (4102) had the original hardwood floors, original window panes and original stained glass and had tall ceilings which were accented with gorgeous multi layered crown molding. The King bed was very comfortable, the bathroom was huge, the front porch with rocking chairs was perfect for enjoying a late afternoon cup of coffee. It was summer so we couldn't take advantage of the huge fireplace that was in the room. We also had a nice walk in closet, in room safe and large table with chairs. Each day we were left 2 complimentary bottles of water and we did have an in room coffee pot. Since we were celebrating our anniversary they sent us a complimentary bottle of Jekyll Island Champaigne and strawberries which was a nice jesture, we also had evening turn down service with Jekyll Island logo's imprinted on chocolates. Each morning we had the breakfast buffet in the main dining room which was a nice way to start the day. They had eggs, bacon , sausage, fruits, grits, pasteries, juices, etc. You could also get cooked to order eggs, toast and pancakes. I had purchased the dining plan with dinner and I am so glad that I paid the extra money. Our dinner was absolutely wonderful; the service was fabulous, the food was delicious and the desserts were to die for. The clubs private beach pavillion is a nice place to spend the day. They have towels for the guests, chairs and umbrellas that you can rent, restrooms and food. Driftwood beach is a must see, plan on riding bikes through the miles of moss covered oak tree paths. Overall, we had a wonderful time with wonderful service and no complaints. My only regret is that we couldn't stay longer! The hotel and the island is a definite must see and do vacation location.

Room Tip: San Souci - separate from club, quite, large rooms beautifully restored
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrsMariaD
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

I stayed here for a business conference and was quite impressed. The resort is laid-back and lacks much of the ostentatious elegance of many pricier and fancier resorts. However, the food in the dining room was consistently good, the service was excellent and the staff were attentive.

The hotel offered courtesy rides to/from the beach which was clean and unblemished and featured a Jekyll Island Club "pavilion" with restrooms and food available for purchase. St Simon's Island is a 20 minute drive away and features fantastic restaurants which we took advantage of.

My room was "smallish" but nice and located near a quaint courtyard. I look forward to returning when pleasure, not business, calls!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Eric10036
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Jekyll Island Club Hotel last weekend. I had booked the BOGO rate (buy one night, get one night free), which I couldn't believe that they offered since this hotel is rated 5-star. The service was medicore, the pool bar and staff were great. I tried speaking with the maintenance and hotel staff and the maids, but they seemed not to like their jobs or care to talk. Anyway, my wife and I stayed in a Jacuzzi Suite in the Crane Cottage. I must say the suite is very, very small with a king bed. The bathroom as a Jacuzzi/Shower Combo. I wouldn't really consider te Jacuzzi tub a true jacuzzi w/ the shower above. The room does need updatting. I also did not like the stairs leading up as I was stung by a wasp on the foot. At this point a staff member saw me and didn't say anything or try to help me while I was in pain. The grounds are kept very nice, the breakfast was decent and and reasonable. The only tip I have is look for the BOGO rate online if you haven't stayed or been here before. Also, I tried Haylards Restaurant in St. Simmons, it was recommended for Fine Dining, but was horribe service. Do not go there.

Room Tip: Make a Reservation on their website, look for BOGO rate
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jhw82
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

The hotel grounds are beautiful, and the room we had in the San Souci building had a lovely balcony view of the sunset every night. The rooms in the hotel proper can be smaller, but the overall experience was highly enjoyable. We were able to rent bikes one day, spend an afternoon by the pool, and pass another playing croquet.

Room Tip: The rooms in the San Souci building are large and have quiet balconies with sunset views on one side
  • Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Days Inn & Suites Jekyll Island
The Cloister at Sea Island
The Cloister at Sea Island
#1 of 1 in Sea Island

Been to Jekyll Island Club Resort? Share your experiences!