“Great Historic Place to Stay”

Jekyll Island Club Resort
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Jekyll Island
Georgia
“Great Historic Place to Stay”
Reviewed 18 June 2008

We visited Jekyll Island in May and it was fantastic. Although, not directly on the beach, the Hotel was conveniently located near the best eating establishments and historical shops. The beach was a short ride away, by bike or courtesy shuttle. The Hotel has their own beach and provided chairs, umbrellas and towels as well as had a snack bar. The scenery from the hotel was beautiful. It can be noisy on the weekends due to all of the wedding parties. This island is a lot less crowded than St. Simons and more charming. And much more beach to walk along. We can’t wait to go back.

• Stayed May 2008
2 Thank ga_travel_lover

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
michigan
Reviewed 6 March 2008

This truly is a page out of history. The beautiful everything was more than could have been anticipated . A 3 day 2 night stay on a golf package was the most organized and coordinated plan by the staff, without any hitches or fouled up schedules, even when we changed the plans and times. The entire staff, including the dining room hostesses (who would try to pull out the chair and seat this guy) . were most gracious.. I've never written a review on anything but thought this was worth the acknowledgment...Thanks for the wonderful experience staff.

• Stayed February 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank MichiganBlueberry
New England
Reviewed 20 February 2008

Our family including two teenagers (ages 14 & 17) had a wonderful time at this hotel. This historic resort is beautiful. The dining room food and service was excellent. Our children really enjoyed the pool, beaches and bike paths on the island. The adults enjoyed the quiet natural setting. We will definitely be returning to this resort.

• Liked — Historic Resort in Beautiful Natural Sorroundings
  • Disliked — Small television in room
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank mj0470
Knoxville, TN
Reviewed 18 February 2008

My wife booked this property for us to stay in during a nice jaunt through the area and it was hard to be disappointed. The Club has been nicely restored and while there's a slightly "old" atmosphere to it, the amenities and updates are as modern as one could reasonably expect. Walking along the outside throughfare balcony at night was a real treat. The grounds are as tended as you would imagine, with some real floral work to be seen, and the room itself (while a bit crammed due to the large bed) exuded the age of the place without being musty or otherwise offensive. Very nice, thoughtful decor as well. It's hard to say whether the Club is suitable for people with children due to the many stairs and delicate furnishings (plus the unwelcome noise), but for adults it really is a markedly nice stay in the area.

• Liked — Everything they have is done with real detail and style.
  • Disliked — Face it, it's old. It's going to
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank yoreverend
Coral Gables, Florida
Reviewed 9 January 2008

The hotel is stunning and the grounds are beautiful. The entire island is lovely and peaceful. When driving around at night, be sure to drive slowly and be alert because you are sure to see some deer. The Spanish moss dripping from the huge oak trees adds a lot to the atmosphere. Looking out onto views of the water, past the marsh grasses- how could anyone not enjoy the natural beauty and peacefulness?

You should be aware that the beaches are of light brown sand and the water isn't clear but a milky brown color. Therefore, those hailing from the gulf coast of Florida or other places with white sand beaches and green waters will not find the beaches up to their standards for swimming and sunning. But what makes this place more appealing than Florida beaches is the lack of overdevelopment. You can still see long stretches of beaches that aren't marred by tacky tourist shops and huge multi-story hotels. Something that sadly no longer exists in Florida.

We rented excellently maintained bikes at the Jekyll Island Club for $9 for a half day (four hours). We loved riding our bikes on the path that runs along the beach and around the resort.

All the staff are very hospitable and very friendly.

There is a nice-sized outdoor pool that is heated.

Our main complaints would be regarding the dining: The breakfast in the Grand Dining Room was very disappointing. The eggs had no flavor and the hash browns were probably the worst I've ever tasted. You could get far better ones in the freezer section of your grocery store. I realize they get quite a few elderly guests but there were also plenty of young families. Do they really need to gear their cooking to 70 year olds and above by refusing to add salt for flavor? The pastries that were touted as homemade were dry and hard. To make matters worse, they had flies swarming about them.

Lunch in the Grand Dining Room was a little better. My crab cake appetizer was fabulous. However the salad trio I ordered consisting of a scoop each of chicken, shrimp and tuna salad on a bed of lettuce was horrible. The salads were just mayo mixed with the meats- no other ingredients were added for flavor. Come on, this is supposed to be an upscale dining experience! My husband asked the romaine lettuce in his Caesar's salad be switched to spinach. They charged an extra $2 for this substitution, which is the same amount they charge for adding grilled chicken to the salad. It seemed very steep and tacky too since we were already paying quite well to dine there.

The food at Crane Cottage was much better but they engaged in the habit that some restaurants are guilty of: false advertising. In other words, what was listed as the description on the menu wasn't what you got. For example, my chicken salad didn't have any pecans or apples and only had one grape when the menu description promised all of these. The next day at lunch, my crab salad didn't have basil oil sprinkled on the top as was promised on the menu. Minor but irritating because I wouldn't have ordered the chicken salad had I known it would be just slightly better than what I had found in the Grand Dining Room. Plus, while we received excellent service from a lady from Estonia at our first lunch at Crane Cottage, at our second lunch we had amateurish service from a male server. Btw, all the staff we encountered at this restaurant was from Eastern Europe- they've copied Disney and list employees' home town (if American) or country on their name tags. This was fine because there weren't any communication problems- everyone's English was fluent. But the male waiter had been poorly trained because he attempted to remove my plate when I had only had three or four bites!!! I was engaged in conversation and only paused eating for a minute. Both mine and my husband's plate were barely touched and our cutlery wasn't placed in the position to indicate we were finished with our course. It was a little disconcerting to have a hand reach across me to remove my plate when I was simply engaging in conversation. The waiter didn't even ask if I was finished! It was so odd my husband and I just laughed. In spite of the negatives, the surroundings in the Crane Cottage dining room were lovely. A fire was lit the second day we dined there. It was very cozy.

The housekeeping staff had been poorly trained as well. Each day guests are given two bottles of complimentary spring water in their rooms. We had only taken a couple of sips out of our bottles and placed them on the bedside table. When we returned to our rooms we found they had been thrown out!! We had been given two new bottles in replacement. They should have left the two bottles and given us the daily allotment as well. This came across first as wasteful. Hello! Georgia is facing a major drought. Do they really need to be throwing away full bottles of water? Secondly, it came across as intrusive. It isn't up to housekeeping to make the decision to throw away possessions in the room. Plus, we left notes for housekeeping on each day of our stay (on the second and third days we left a note in English and in Spanish and on the fourth day we had given up) not to bother with making the bed. Firstly, because it is just an environmental waste. Secondly, we had removed the bedspreads from the beds for cleanliness. They used the old fashioned bed covering of bedspreads which, frankly, are never washed- so we remove them immediately when we check into a hotel room. More modern thinking hotels use duvets with coverlets that can be changed between guests. Well, every day our beds were made in spite of the notes we had put on top of the beds. They simply put the notes on the bed stand. We do this at every hotel we stay in and this is the first time our requests weren't respected.

If you choose to go around Christmas, Jekyll Island Club Hotel decorates for the holidays beautifully. Personally, I would NEVER go in high season because, for me, the biggest appeal was the peacefulness of the island. If the crowds are there, what is the point?

I would go again, I just wouldn't purchase one of the packages that included breakfast and I would be careful to stick to menu items that I had tried and knew to be decent.

Note: please see my review of Blackbeard's Restaurant in Jekyll Island. It isn't a viable alternative to dining at the resort. It was awful!

• Liked — beautiful historic buildings and gracious staff
  • Disliked — inconsistent food quality in the dining rooms
  • Stayed December 2007
5 Thank 8Chocolate
centered
Reviewed 20 December 2007

Let me begin by saying that we visited the hotel, ate there, walked the grounds, but stayed at St. Simon's since we wanted a condo and to do some cooking. I've read other comments, and I wanted to place them in a larger Golden Isles perspective.

Pros: if you don't want glitz but love nature, consider JECKYLL ISLAND. It's the most beautiful island that we have visited in this area. It's about the only interested in ecology.

The Beach Club has beautiful grounds, great comfortable chairs everywhere to sit and read or enjoy a drink. Our experience with the staff was quite positive.

It's a real bargain for the rooms compared to other similar arrangements in the area.

Cons: we think that the new chef is not ready for prime time. We had dinner in the grand dining room. Beautiful room, very good service, disappointing food. (Apps. good; mains not very good.)
We did, however, have a very good sandwich from their ice cream/sandwich shop.

I'd stay here (and plan to in the future), but if you're a foodie, which I am, don't break the bank on the meal plan.

• Liked — historic significance
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank centered
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 3 December 2007

Just spent 2 nights at the Jekyll Island Club Hotel for a romantic/R&R weekend that conflicts 100% with the hotel's current business plan.

The hotel hosts at least 1 wedding and 1 convention every weekend. Areas of the hotel are closed off as a result (like the Crane Restaurant) and the guests party hard all night making a romantic break (and restful sleep) absolutely impossible. We also changed rooms and ended up in two doubles - there goes the romantic break...

The hotel allows smoking in many rooms but we were not offered a choice when making our reservation so beware. We were initially offered an attic (and I am not exaggerating) room of the most curious design with no windows other than two dormas in odd positions. We were moved to a much better room, but lost the king/queen bed as a result.

The rooms are in need of renovation and a $4M project to do so will begin in 2008.

Potential guests should be aware that you will have a mini-bar in your room but that you MUST NOT put your own items in it as they will be discarded - even medicine. Also, if you plan to rent bicycles, bring a helmet if you have one. Not sure if they are rented out, but they were not offered to us. It's a quiet place, but it's better to be safe and helmets are state law for under 16s.

The service and food in the grand dining room is fantastic, but all was spoiled when I was made fun of behind my back (my husband happened to see), when I asked for milk rather than 1/2 and 1/2 to go in tea. This happened at the cafe which *serves* Starbucks beverages - it is not an official Starbucks. The same person was also coughing frequently while serving us pastries on paper plates which is very downmarket for a so-called class establishment.

The location is stunning and the grounds are immaculate. But this is where the emphasis is made.

Overall, the JICH does not live up to it's reputation or prices. The captive wedding crowd are guaranteeing their income and as a result, we sensed that they are not making an effort for anyone else.

• Liked — Beatiful location, stunning grounds.
  • Disliked — 100% focussed on wedding/conference guests who provide guaranteed income.
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
#4 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#9 of 9 in Jekyll Island

Been to Jekyll Island Club Resort? Share your experiences!