A weekend at the Jekyll Island Club was pure paradise...
Escaping from the family while visiting Jacksonville, Mom and Dad's house, so my girlfriend and I could have some alone time, without the constant harrassment about, "When are you going to get married?" we packed up an overnight bag, jumped in the rental-car, and drove up the Georgia Coast about 2 hours to Jekyll Island.
We were pleasantly surprised at the drive up to check-in, a very scenic Victorian feast for the eyes. Lovers of Victorian Architecture and those that couldn't tell the difference alike will be pleased by the beauty of the buildings on the compound. Striking details abound across the property.
Our room was situated in the "Green House." We had a wonderful view of the Marina below, which we enjoyed viewing, while sitting on our balcony, sipping on a glass of wine, watching the lightning dance across the horizon, the prelude to an evening Thunderstorm, which was not a problem, thanks to the oversize umbrellas stocked in our room.
The oversized bed, antique furniture and comforts of home, including robe, fluffy soft towels, and some of the softest sheets I have ever slept on, made this more of a Guest Room than a hotel room.
A short drive or bike ride away is the beach, where the Club Hotel Staff is available to assist you with Beach Chairs, Towels, or any other ammenities that you may have forgotten at home. When the tide receeds, you can walk out over 100 Yards "into" the ocean. Literally walking on a sandbar, almost as far as the eye can see. A real interesting treat.
We dined at the Courtyard, where the food was delicious - perfectly seasoned and portioned, and the service was impecable. It was so good, we decided to return on our second night at the Hotel.
After 2 nights, our escape during the Family Vacation was just what the doctor ordered. Amazing scenery, great historical significance, fantastic beach, and all of the ammenities that you could hope for.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Gracious Jekyll Island Georgia accommodations set the stage for your landmark experience. The resort presents 157 rooms and suites in five historic settings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Priceline, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Jekyll Island Club Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jekyll Island Hotel
- Jekyll Island Club Hotel Jekyll Island
- Jekyll Island Club Resort Georgia