“Step Back In Time”

Jekyll Island Club Resort
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Jekyll Island
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We spent a pleasant weekend here and would return. You are definitely stepping back in time and should enjoy the ambience of this turn of the century hotel. Make sure you take time to walk the gardens and learn the history of the Club and its founders. Take time to visit Brunswick and St. Simon's Island. My only real negative is that you have to drive to their beach property as the Club is located on the Intercoastal.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Frances K

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Stayed from August 1 to August 4th and stayed in Sans Souci in a river/marshfront room. I have stayed here 6 or 7 times over 20 years with different partners, sister, friends, husband, etc. One trip was for friends' on site wedding. I travel a great deal and still love coming back to this property. Each time it seems to get better, too! There are more bike paths on the island, we loved visiting the Sea Turtle Center; I could go on and on. But the 2 best things about this place are the food at the Rah Bar on the Jekyll wharf and the friendliness of the Club Hotel's employees. Everyone seemed to want us to have a great visit, and it worked. The bellmen, our housekeeper (Kanesha), the concierge (Sherrie), waitress (Ashley), and our favorite bartender (Victoria at Vincent's Pub) are all top-notch. On top of that it's a gorgeous place with so many activities to keep you busy. The only minus was that the ice machine in our building was on the fritz during our stay. If that's the only complaint I have, well, it was a great trip.

Room Tip: Sans Souci, river-front, is my favorite.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Margot M
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Just got back from a wedding weekend and it was nothing short of amazing... From the staff who were beyond compare to the incredibly delicious food (pool bar burger is probably the best you'll ever have) to an ambience that you can't find just anywhere... this resort is a must on your list. VERY reasonable golf fees and menu prices... I'll call the resort a bargain in many respects.

Room Tip: Crane cottage is amazing. Stay away from 4th floor of the Annex.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Michael S
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This place was one of my favorite hotels I have ever been at. Its a great place to get away from work. I staying in the Cherokee Cottage. The rooms were very nice and the bed comfortable. Place was really clean. The outside is fantastic. We stayed there two days and we didn't get to everything that Jekyll Island Club Hotel has to offer. For some of the place we were looking at online we felt like we got a great deal here. The food here is absolutely excellent. My girlfriend and I cannot not wait to go back.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My initial impression on driving under the towering live oaks and pulling up to the 100 year old estate was that this reminded me very much of the Grand Hotel in Mackinac Island, Michigan. This thought quickly led to the thought "How come I paid $485 a night there and this was only $285?". Unfortunately some of the reasons did become evident quickly. The 100 year old buildings are not in A+ shape, but they are in solid B+ shape, and I had no problems with the overall maintenance for the price paid. The cost of maintaining a historic landmark as a hotel has to be enormous, and I feel they do an excellent job of doing so while maintaining a price point that still allows them to stay competitive with area hotels. Some reviewers have mentioned that the cleaning staff stacks laundry in the stairwell, which I did see for a short period one day, but unlike traditional hotels, when you are staying in a 100 year old renovated private apartment there is not a complex system of behind the scenes alleys to transport things. For another $50 a night on everyone's tab I am sure they could hire the staff to move it immediately, but I was ok with it being there for 30 minutes and not having the increase. The walls are VERY thin as with any old house turned hotel. I do not mention this because other people disturbed me, but I was constantly worried about my kids disturbing them (sorry if they did...). Overall the only negative that they could work on is customer service. I did not feel pampered or treated like I would at a true elite hotel. This is something they very easily could improve upon and almost knocked them down a star, but it was such a beautiful place and there were some great staff members so I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

Overall the hotel was as nice as I could have hoped for given the age and the price from a lodging point of view, but the real value comes in the grounds. Unlike the buildings which I gave a B+ for maintenance, the grounds keeping was an A. The lawn was beautiful, the trees were quite honestly all my wife talked about, and the history was so amazing it was almost overwhelming (We stayed in a room that was a portion of JD Rockefeller's private apartment! Its amazing that we used the same stairs that he, JP Morgan, and anyone else who was a part of the 1900's elite used 100 years ago!). This hotel couldn't be any closer to the desired location on Jekyll island as it IS the destination on Jekyll Island. If you stay elsewhere you will just spend your time traveling here to see the history. It took me 2 days to realize that the reason the Club Hotel and the Historic District were so close on my small PDF map on my phone was because they are the SAME PLACE. If you want some relaxation and true break from tourist destinations do yourself a favor and go to Jekyll Island. and when you go stay here you won't regret it.

Room Tip: The rooms are split into separate buildings, so it might help to call the hotel and discuss the best...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2014

As you drive up, the hotel looks almost like a huge castle. The grounds are gorgeous, the valets are helpful without being pushy, and everyone at the hotel was friendly. Don't expect luxury because this is an old club built in the 1880's. But the peaceful, old-time luxurious feel of the hotel is worth the trip. The dining room is spectacular. Upgrades are expensive, but if you have the money, go for it.

Room Tip: If you have money for an upgrade, do so.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

I loved this hotel and historic area. Imagine a time when leisure was an art. My favorite hang out was the pub. The brick walls and selection of beers rival any European pub feel. The grounds are beautiful day and night. The old live oaks covering the property are dripping with Spanish moss and ancient memories.

Stayed: July 2014
Ocean Lodge
Ocean Lodge
#5 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Jekyll Ocean Club, a Jekyll Island Club Resort

Been to Jekyll Island Club Resort? Share your experiences!