“Horrible-Shuttle Awful; Rooms Atrocious”

Clarion Hotel Atlanta Airport South
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Jonesboro
Reviewed 20 August 2012

airTran flight delay sent a number of people there with vouchers landing at ATL at 11:10PM.
The Bad:
1) The shuttle lady was RUDE. Luckily I made it to the shuttle with the first batch of people, and when we got on the shuttle we told her there would be more people waiting. She stood outside the hotel and talked to another worker from 11:40 PM until almost 12:30 AM, never returning to airport to pick up the other people until told to by the desk; and was angry when she was told by the front desk that people had been calling. She should be fired.
2) It is a good 25 minutes from the airport. Shuttle runs 1 time an hour during the day; ridiculous.
3) The room (234) non-smoking was one of the worst I have seen in awhile.
The hallway stunk
I don't the Fire/Smoke detector worked in my room, because it never lit up.
The bathroom floor had a ring of gunk around the toilet base.
The sheets had cigarette stains, and runs in the nylon comforter.
One of the only three lamps, the one between the beds, had a busted switch and no bulb. The room was dark the walls were dirty.
The sink faucet was completely removed from the sink top, not bolted down in any way.
I slept in my clothes.
4) The outdoor pool and hot-tub I saw in the morning was neon-green dirty. Not sure if they were even in use.
5) If there was internet, no one offered to give us a code.
The Good (if any):
The woman at the front desk was very nice and friendly for being the only working and having to check in a line of people with vouchers.
The bar is opened til 2 AM. They may serve food that late, but I did not get any.
OVERALL:
I would not stay there ever, especially for traveling through the airport – it is too far and shuttle is not convenient, plus the shuttle drivers act like you are working for them. Even the morning guy was rude, but at least punctual.
The rooms are horrible, location awful and except for the bartender and the front desk person, everyone else was rude, including the cook, and security guard.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank J G

Reviewed 9 August 2012

We stayed here one night and it was fine. It's an older hotel that they have remodeled to try to make more modern and it was ok overall. The bedspreads were pretty much old style old fleece blankets and the one had a cigarette burn in it. The kids were looking forward to swimming but the pool had some bad stains in it that were really visible looking down on it from our window. The a/c in our room wasn't working and they moved us right away. My biggest complaint was the restaurant in the place - Cravings American Bistro was the worst restaurant I've ever been to in my life. I won't go into details here but I wrote a review on Yelp if interested. The continental breakfast was pretty good though.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank brandy621
Reviewed 6 August 2012

First the good: The one person working check in was very helpful and sweet, even though there was a line out of the door of angry, tired people forced to stay in Atlanta overnight due to Delta airlines, also the bar was still open. The bad: there were few shuttles running from the airport (waited 40 minutes and ended up taking a taxi). There was only one person working at the check in desk (maybe in the whole hotel), rooms were unappealing with noisy ACs, uncomfortable beds, thin, worn out sheets, and filthy blankets. Even though there were few people in the bar, service was terrible and very slow.

Room Tip: make the airline give you a different hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank BruceinFlorida
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Delta flight delay meant Delta picked this place and it was gross. Room: big hole in bed cover, huge stain on chair, thinnest towels I've ever seen. Front desk: easy check-in with voucher, but no toiletries except for one toothbrush in a vending machine that I had to share with my husband. The "businesss center" had two non-working computers (viruses), a jammed printer, and a terribly dirty chair I wouldn't touch. Restaurant had cold Berra and shuttle bus drivers were very good.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank KellyGrantSmith
Reviewed 6 July 2012

I stayed at the Clarion when I was stuck in Atlanta due to bad weather delays and cancellations. It turns out that this must be a common experience, because in all my time in the hotel, the only people I encountered were stranded like me!

Did not have the issues with the shuttle that some other reviewers described. However, I was told that it only runs once an hour on the hour, so it could have been coincidence.

This hotel was fine for a 9-hour stay on layover, which may be what they're counting on, but there were a laundry list of issues I could start making. Lamps that didn't work, shower with low pressure, old linens, slow internet service, painfully slow hotel, under-powered AC. Etc. And the restaurant! They seemed to go out of their way not to serve anything healthy for lunch/dinner, and didn't even serve coffee (much less breakfast) before 6 a.m., at which time I was already in a shuttle on the way to the airport.

I stayed here because I received a voucher from the airline. Ask for another hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Had an unexpected layover at Atlanta and airline gave me voucher for this hotel. Waited over 30 minutes late at night and no shuttle. Tried the number at the hotel pickup area to call and nothing happened. I ended up taking a cab only to find is hotel is 9 miles from airport. When I arrived, the desk clerk said I should have called for shuttle. All the other hotels ( which were actually near the airport) had a steady flow of shuttles every 15 minutes.

Toilet was running, I had to open and fix and toilet seat was up in room. the blanket on the bed was worn and although I had a no smoking room, the faint odor of cigarettes was there. Shuttle to airport only runs once per hour.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Rosemary R
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Not knowing what kind of area a hotel is located in is difficult when booking. We were pleased with the location. The only thing that was "off" about our stay was the heat. The room took a very long time to cool down, the hallways were hot and muggy, and the mini fridge was not very cool either. We live in the South and realize it's just simply hot this time of year but expected it to be a bit better. We asked for an extended check out time and the lady at the desk was very nice and accomodated us.

Room Tip: There is a jazz night club that could be bothersome to a lower level guest. We were on 6th floor and...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank sjrosado

Been to Clarion Hotel Atlanta Airport South? Share your experiences!