“Clean and worth the money”

Magnolia Inn - Kingsland
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Kingsland
Gainesville, Florida
“Clean and worth the money”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Very nice and clean Motel just off the highway right inside Georgia from Florida. We have stayed here before on our way either from or to Florida and it has always been clean and tidy. Only $39.95 a night and it has free wi-fi, fridge, microwave and breakfast. We recommend this motel.

Room Tip: we stayed in downstairs room nice and quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank David H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 29 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here one night in March before our trip over to Cumberland island the next morning. We had to catch an early ferry over to the island the next morning so Kingsland is close enough for a quick drive to the St. Mary's Visitors Center where you catch the ferry. The hotel was clean, the front desk person was nice at check in and honestly for less than $40.00 we were extremely happy with the room. Breakfast the next morning was adequate, it's a little tight in in the serving area, but we were in and out in about 10 minutes. All in all we will stay here again, it's a great bargain.

Room Tip: Exterior doors, but we felt safe. Also ask for an upper room to avoid headlights at night coming int...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Cross Lanes, West Virginia
Reviewed 24 February 2014

For the money, I don't think that you can beat it. No frills, but clean, good location, and the breakfast is not bad. If you are looking for a good clean room at a good price give it a try, I don't think that you will be disapointed!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Opelika, Alabama
Reviewed 3 February 2014

My family and I love St. Mary's and Kingsland Georgia, particularly in the off-season when there is a glut of hotel rooms. Magnolia Inn, like many of the properties around it, is new-ish (Maybe 7-8 years old?) and well-maintained. While nothing is top-notch about the place, it is certainly adequate, especially for the price. More on that in a minute. Our room had a coffee maker, huge fridge, hair dryer, and a microwave. There was an antiquated TV that didn't really work, but we weren't there to watch TV. It seems like the majority of patrons were workmen and seniors stopping over while heading further South, but one morning there was a kidnap van full of characters blaring Pat Benetar at max volume, so that's always good. The place is equipped with a sparkling outdoor pool, too, although we did not indulge. We did, however, indulge in the free breakfast- muffins, cereal, danish, and my personal fave, hard-cooked eggs!!

We were traveling with our canine pal, and she was welcomed, for a fee. Here is were things kind of went into the realm of not-so-hot. When I originally called to book, I was quoted a rate 12 bucks higher than the one I'd seen on several websites. I always try to let the facility get everything that's coming to them rather than kicking over a commission to the travel sites. But that rate-jacking ticks me off and I told the reservation-taker so. He went into a lengthy rant about how I could have the same rate as the sites if I prepaid for my stay and reiterated as nauseum that there would be no refunds whatsoever in the event of a cancellation. I agreed to prepay and gave him my credit card info. Everything was cool until I got the paper copy of my bill at checkout and realized that they'd charged me an additional $5 a night for an "extra child," but I let this go. What I did not let go of was when two days later I discovered ANOTHER ten-dollar charge on my bank statement. I called immediately and was told that this was yet another charge for "extra child." I was told that I would have to discuss the issue with a manager, gave the desk person my number(s) and hung up fuming. I have yet to receive a call back. Now I'm sure Mr. Patel will counter my statement somehow, and it is not my aim here to besmirch the reputation of this business. My family and I got our money's worth. But honesty is ALWAYS the best policy. Charge whatever you need to charge to cover your expenses plus a profit you think is fair while keeping your prices in line with your competitors and what your guests are willing to pay. But don't play a shell game. Don't tack on various fees here and there to make it seem as if you have the lowest price. In this vein, pay attention to the signs on the property. At the desk, it says a dog up to 30 lbs. is permitted at a rate of $10 a night. But at the night window, there was a tent card stating that pets up to 25 lbs. were welcome for $15 a night. Also, the standard "maximum rate" placard was absent from the back of our door. Could be nothing, could be another something to watch out for. All in all a decent stay at an adequate place for what I'd like to say is a fair price. The rate manipulation just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Room Tip: The backside, nearest the privacy fence, was particularly quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Flex M
GM1321, General Manager at Magnolia Inn - Kingsland, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear Sir,

First thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your business and also your review, as perhaps it presents an opportunity to offer a different take on the issue of charges for additional people in the room.

You booked your room on booking.com. On booking.com, we offer a standard (fully cancellable) rate, as well as a heavily discounted advance payment / non-cancellable rate. You elected to book your room at this lower, but non-cancellable rate. If you had read your confirmation email you would have seen the following:

***Up to two children under 5 years are charged USD 5 per person per night when using existing beds.
***All further older children or adults are charged USD 10 per person per night when using existing beds.
***Free! One child under 2 years stays free of charge in a child's cot/crib.
***The maximum number of children's cots/cribs in a room is 1.
***There is no capacity for extra beds in the room.
***Supplements are not calculated automatically in the total costs and will have to be paid for separately during your stay.

The rate displayed on booking.com and for that matter on any of our listings online, is for an occupancy of 1-2 people. It is far easier for a hotel charging two or three times the rate we do, to boldly promote themselves with the "Kids stay Free!!!" type of campaign, because of the simple fact that they charge more than enough to be able to incorporate the additional costs of having the kids stay in the parents room. into their rates. Unfortunately for the small fry like us, there is no way for us to do that at the rates we CAN charge. And worse, this has become somewhat axiomatic . Some people actually gasp, "You charge for KIDS????"

Its all good to say build these costs into the rate and then post that rate. However, if we did that, would it be fair to charge a higher rate to guests who do not have any kids with them, or any pets? That would be like an airline raising the fare in order to factor in the cost of extra bags that people **might** bring along. Is it not better to just charge an extra bag fee to those who actually have extra bags, rather than raise the fare for everybody?

I daresay that had we been doing as you suggest, and built the costs into the rate, you very well might not even have considered us when you searched for rates for hotels in our area. Our rate might then have been TOO high to interest you.

In your case you had a pet and you had an occupancy of 2 adults and two children. As per the policies listed on booking.com and on your confirmation, you were charged separately for the pet, and the additional people in your room.

Your point about the discrepancy in the signs is well taken and we have corrected this.

Again, thank you for your review. I hope that we can be of service to you again!
Venice, Florida
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We have stayed at this motel many times and been happy on each occasion. The rooms have always been clean and the beds very comfortable. It is in the very back and you do need to pass by several other(more expensive) motels in trying to locate this one. This is a very reasonably priced motel and they have always honored the coupons in the books we get at the GA welcome center even on holidays. We stay here every time we travel south to Florida. We are not looking for a gourmet breakfast but rather only a nice,quiet,comfortable place to stay for the night after a long day of driving. Magnolia Inn fits that bill perfectly. On this last stay I had the pleasure of meeting Tes, , the front desk person, at breakfast and she was the icing on the cake for a great stay. She is to be commended for her great customer service. It was pouring down rain as we checked out and I inadvertently dropped an expensive piece of computer equipment when getting in the car. Fortunately I noticed it missing within ten minutes of leaving so I called and Tes immediately went out to check for me and fortunately found the missing part. We turned around and headed back to retreave it. She is an employee to be cherished. We stayed on New Years night in room 111. AN

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Stony Point, New York
Reviewed 3 January 2014

With the convenient location off the I-95, it's was a no brainer for the ride home on the first of January on my way home from Florida. The staff was so friendly,i felt like family..The continental breakfast was good enough to get you on the road till lunch.. The room was clean and it had all the amenities.. Definitely gonna be a planned stop for the next trip. Best place for the price! JF

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I used a coupon that was available at the dicount hotels that you find at gas stations, restaurants, etc. My only gripe is something that the motel has no control over and that is the local cable provider doesn't carry TCM.
The wifi was a little tricky but that have been an issue with my tablet.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo