“STAY ACROSS AT THE FAIRFIELD MARRIOTT”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Kingsland
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Kingsland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My partner and I reserved a room for two nights. We arrived at the hotel around 2 PM. At check in, the front desk employee checked us into our room. When we got into the room it was noticeably not clean. There were coffee cups in the sink, towels on the floor, the bed was unmade (clearly sheets had not been changed from prior guest), and there was a foul odor in the room. We went back to the front desk to inform the employee of the situation and to request a clean room. She was no longer at the front desk but somewhere in the back so I said "excuse me" to get her attention and she replied "what". I told her the room was not clean. And she asked what was not clean about it. I told her that the room clearly had not been cleaned. At this point she began yelling. She was extremely unprofessional, rude, and the complete opposite of what you would expect to encounter at any hotel's front desk. No customer service skills or professionalism. I asked to speak to a manager and was advised that a manager would not be back on the property until 6 AM the following day. It is shocking to see that there is no management on site during business hours. I wonder what they would do in the event of an emergency....She then called someone on the phone who claimed to be the manager of the property, and who refused to give me her name. When I asked if her name was Ms. Taylor based on the business cards at the front desk she confirmed that was her name. She too was very rude and unhelpful. She claimed to be the manager however her business card made no reference to her being in any managerial position at the hotel. I told her I did not feel comfortable staying at the hotel and asked her for a refund. She said she had not witnessed anything and could not make any decisions. She also said that the employee at the front desk is " one of her best". If she is one of the best, I would hate to see the worst. During my conversation with Ms. Taylor the employee continued to yell in the background, so to avoid the situation from escalating I decided to leave.

I then called hotels.com to inform them of this unfortunate situation and ask that the reservation be fully refunded. The representative Mary called the hotel to confirm the events that had taken place inside the hotel. Once she was finished speaking with the front desk employee she came back on the line and apologized to me about the incident, issued a full refund and gave us a voucher because she too had experienced the employee's rudeness. The hotel employee hung up on the hotels.com's agent twice and also refused to give her full name.

I emailed Ms. Patel, the general manager, Ms. Taylor, the alleged manager, and Wyndham customer relations about the incident. I received a response from Ms. Patel the following day apologizing ( I have yet to receive any response from the "manager" Taylor or Wyndham customer relations). Ms. Patel claimed the hotel had received awards for its "excellent" customer service including recognition from Tripadvisor as one of the best places to stay at in this area for the last 2 years. I have a feeling the hotel employees are writing their own reviews. I cannot imagine how anyone could leave anything but negative feedback for their unprofessional, unhelpful, and rude hotel employees. Not to mention the fact that the room was beyond dirty.

I truly hope that this review will save at least one guest from experiencing what I experienced. My recommendation is STAY AT THE FAIRFIELD MARRIOTT ACROSS THE DRIVEWAY! I certainly would never reserve at any of their hotels.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Miaesq25

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Everything was great!!! The room was very nice and the front desk ladies were very professional!I didn't eat breakfast but I'm pretty sure that was great as well!!! See you guys next time! :)

2  Thank Tyiesha J
Reviewed 7 July 2014

First off, Ms. Lola is the best!! I came 4th of July weekend and it was perfection. The room was exactly what I was looking for. The bed had its own separate room with a door, the kitchen was very useful and the sitting area with its own TV. Also, the distance to Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island wasn't that far of a drive at all.
I will definitely be coming back soon and I can't wait.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kayla T
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I reviewed and booked this Hotel with my Wyndham Reward points for a one night stay. I wanted to stay in Kingsland GA, as a half way point to my destination in North Carolina. We left Tampa late and I arrived at the Hotel at about 11:00pm. The registration for the nights stay when quickly and there was no problems. The room I booked was a king with a jacuzzi tub, which I had thought I would be able to use after my 4 hour drive. The room was near the front desk and I was quickly moved in. The king room was actually two small rooms, one was the bedroom and the other was a living room type situation which had two chairs, a sofa and the jacuzzi tub. The living room seemed to be about 12x12 and it felt funny having the jacuzzi in the living room, but it turned out ok. The TV reception wasn't all that great with the large screened wall mounted tv. The king bed was great, I slept without any problems and it was very comfortable. The shower was good also. The only problems I had, which was not too much of a concern was when we checked into the room my wife said it smelled funny. But the smell was, in my opinion typical of that area of Georgia. The paper mills. You really smell it around Brunswick GA. After a very short while, the smell wasn't there and life went on. At the beginning, the shower had the same smell but it quickly went away.
The breakfast was scrambled eggs and sausage patties. The down side to the breakfast was that they were out of waffle batter. Someone forgot to buy some.
With everything said. I would stay here again, and if possible, stay in the same room. I gave it a Very Good for the experience and stay.

1  Thank Jerry W
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham
Milin P, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Kingsland, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Reviewed 18 June 2014