My partner and I reserved a room for two nights. We arrived at the hotel around 2 PM. At check in, the front desk employee checked us into our room. When we got into the room it was noticeably not clean. There were coffee cups in the sink, towels on the floor, the bed was unmade (clearly sheets had not been changed from prior guest), and there was a foul odor in the room. We went back to the front desk to inform the employee of the situation and to request a clean room. She was no longer at the front desk but somewhere in the back so I said "excuse me" to get her attention and she replied "what". I told her the room was not clean. And she asked what was not clean about it. I told her that the room clearly had not been cleaned. At this point she began yelling. She was extremely unprofessional, rude, and the complete opposite of what you would expect to encounter at any hotel's front desk. No customer service skills or professionalism. I asked to speak to a manager and was advised that a manager would not be back on the property until 6 AM the following day. It is shocking to see that there is no management on site during business hours. I wonder what they would do in the event of an emergency....She then called someone on the phone who claimed to be the manager of the property, and who refused to give me her name. When I asked if her name was Ms. Taylor based on the business cards at the front desk she confirmed that was her name. She too was very rude and unhelpful. She claimed to be the manager however her business card made no reference to her being in any managerial position at the hotel. I told her I did not feel comfortable staying at the hotel and asked her for a refund. She said she had not witnessed anything and could not make any decisions. She also said that the employee at the front desk is " one of her best". If she is one of the best, I would hate to see the worst. During my conversation with Ms. Taylor the employee continued to yell in the background, so to avoid the situation from escalating I decided to leave.
I then called hotels.com to inform them of this unfortunate situation and ask that the reservation be fully refunded. The representative Mary called the hotel to confirm the events that had taken place inside the hotel. Once she was finished speaking with the front desk employee she came back on the line and apologized to me about the incident, issued a full refund and gave us a voucher because she too had experienced the employee's rudeness. The hotel employee hung up on the hotels.com's agent twice and also refused to give her full name.
I emailed Ms. Patel, the general manager, Ms. Taylor, the alleged manager, and Wyndham customer relations about the incident. I received a response from Ms. Patel the following day apologizing ( I have yet to receive any response from the "manager" Taylor or Wyndham customer relations). Ms. Patel claimed the hotel had received awards for its "excellent" customer service including recognition from Tripadvisor as one of the best places to stay at in this area for the last 2 years. I have a feeling the hotel employees are writing their own reviews. I cannot imagine how anyone could leave anything but negative feedback for their unprofessional, unhelpful, and rude hotel employees. Not to mention the fact that the room was beyond dirty.
I truly hope that this review will save at least one guest from experiencing what I experienced. My recommendation is STAY AT THE FAIRFIELD MARRIOTT ACROSS THE DRIVEWAY! I certainly would never reserve at any of their hotels.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Best value All Suites Hotel with Kitchen in each suite. All the suites have separate Living and bed rooms with large screen TV. Living room has a sleeper sofa. Kitchen comes with pots and pans. Living like in a mini apartment.Free hot buffet style breakfast every morning.Lagoon style swimming pool and heated spa. Come join the fun where you get Great Value for the same price for the other regular hotels. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Kingsland reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hawthorn Suites Kingsland
- Kingsland Hawthorn Suites