“The stay was very comfortable, very clean and staff was...”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Kingsland
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Kingsland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 25 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shawnessy M

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Arrived late at night. The room was unclean--hair all over the shower, toilet was dirty, water had been spilled on floor when we walked in. The bed only had a mattress protector and a stained comforter-no sheets. We had to ask for sheets for the bed at the front desk and were given sheets and a few blankets that were very worn and old. Our children slept on the pullout sofabed and the cushions of the sofa had what appeared to be food caked on it. We were in such a hurry to leave that we opted out of eating the available breakfast. On the plus side, the manager was very nice when we checked out and apologized for the inconveniences. We appreciated that, but probably wouldn't choose to stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We spent one night here (me, wife, 2 kids). Overall the place is nice.

The woman at checkin was not the happiest or most helpful. She seemed a bit put off when we came to the counter (she had been texting). When we asked about sheets for the pull out bed (called from the room) she told us they had them at the front desk so we went down to get them.

The room was large and clean. There was a nice sitting area with desk, TV, sofa, and chairs, a kitchenette and a bedroom with two queens and a TV.

As another reviewer posted, the shower entrance was small in the entrance. The shower was nice and clean and the bathroom was clean.

The breakfast was okay, scrambled eggs, hash browns, sausage, grits ?, and some breads.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 16 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Teresa B
Reviewed 16 July 2014

our family reunion was held in the area we all stayed at the Hawthorn Suites the staff did a tremendous job making sure that each person were comfortable by catering to their needs.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Isaah D
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My husband and I were taking a little getaway trip. We needed a place for two nights. We wanted someplace decent that wouldn't break the bank. Kingsland looked like a good area. I booked through Armed Forces Vacation Club because of their partnership with Wyndham. I got a great rate. So, I figured it was worth a try.
We arrived a little early. Ms Lola was at the desk. She greeted me so nicely. Very pleasant and helpful from the start. She was able to get us into a king suite which we had asked for even though it wasn't check in time yet.
The room was on the third floor, but the elevator is roomy so easy access. Our room was nice. I was happy with the bedroom size and the fact you could close the door if you wanted to separate it from the kitchen and sitting area. Very convenient to have the kitchen also. There is a full size refrigerator with ice maker, small sink, two burner cook top, microwave, dishwasher and set of dishes with pots and pans. A coffee maker is also provided.
The bathroom was nice too with a good shower.
The only things I thought were not perfect were the living area was a little dark and you could hear some noise from the adjacent rooms. The noise was minimal, but you could hear especially if someone was in the bathroom.
Living area did have several lamps, I just like very bright rooms. The bedroom had the big window, so there was plenty of light there.
The breakfast was good with plenty to choose from.
I think the best thing was the very pleasant and helpful staff.
The hotel is close to plenty of things. We went to Folkston to see the trains and also to the Okefenokee Park. We also went to Amelia Island which is a very short drive away.
We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Colleen H
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My partner and I reserved a room for two nights. We arrived at the hotel around 2 PM. At check in, the front desk employee checked us into our room. When we got into the room it was noticeably not clean. There were coffee cups in the sink, towels on the floor, the bed was unmade (clearly sheets had not been changed from prior guest), and there was a foul odor in the room. We went back to the front desk to inform the employee of the situation and to request a clean room. She was no longer at the front desk but somewhere in the back so I said "excuse me" to get her attention and she replied "what". I told her the room was not clean. And she asked what was not clean about it. I told her that the room clearly had not been cleaned. At this point she began yelling. She was extremely unprofessional, rude, and the complete opposite of what you would expect to encounter at any hotel's front desk. No customer service skills or professionalism. I asked to speak to a manager and was advised that a manager would not be back on the property until 6 AM the following day. It is shocking to see that there is no management on site during business hours. I wonder what they would do in the event of an emergency....She then called someone on the phone who claimed to be the manager of the property, and who refused to give me her name. When I asked if her name was Ms. Taylor based on the business cards at the front desk she confirmed that was her name. She too was very rude and unhelpful. She claimed to be the manager however her business card made no reference to her being in any managerial position at the hotel. I told her I did not feel comfortable staying at the hotel and asked her for a refund. She said she had not witnessed anything and could not make any decisions. She also said that the employee at the front desk is " one of her best". If she is one of the best, I would hate to see the worst. During my conversation with Ms. Taylor the employee continued to yell in the background, so to avoid the situation from escalating I decided to leave.

I then called hotels.com to inform them of this unfortunate situation and ask that the reservation be fully refunded. The representative Mary called the hotel to confirm the events that had taken place inside the hotel. Once she was finished speaking with the front desk employee she came back on the line and apologized to me about the incident, issued a full refund and gave us a voucher because she too had experienced the employee's rudeness. The hotel employee hung up on the hotels.com's agent twice and also refused to give her full name.

I emailed Ms. Patel, the general manager, Ms. Taylor, the alleged manager, and Wyndham customer relations about the incident. I received a response from Ms. Patel the following day apologizing ( I have yet to receive any response from the "manager" Taylor or Wyndham customer relations). Ms. Patel claimed the hotel had received awards for its "excellent" customer service including recognition from Tripadvisor as one of the best places to stay at in this area for the last 2 years. I have a feeling the hotel employees are writing their own reviews. I cannot imagine how anyone could leave anything but negative feedback for their unprofessional, unhelpful, and rude hotel employees. Not to mention the fact that the room was beyond dirty.

I truly hope that this review will save at least one guest from experiencing what I experienced. My recommendation is STAY AT THE FAIRFIELD MARRIOTT ACROSS THE DRIVEWAY! I certainly would never reserve at any of their hotels.

• Stayed: July 2014