“The Best Weekend Getaway in North Georgia!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lakemont
Talmo, Georgia
“The Best Weekend Getaway in North Georgia!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Actually, the title of this review should have been "The Best Getaway in North Georgia, Any Day of the Week!" I love the Lake Rabun Hotel. I spent two nights here in March 2014 (the Andreae Room, with a cozy fireplace I very much enjoyed using), and two nights in April 2014 (first night in the Andreae Room, second in the Lakemont Room, which has no fireplace, but a larger bathroom with larger windows). Although the handful of rooms in the LRH are not large, they are more than adequate for most of us, although there are no closets and limited space for hanging up lots of clothes. Each room has exposed wood walls ceilings, each one individually and tastefully decorated. Very comfortable queen beds, too. I was made to feel "like family" as soon as I announced myself at the Reception Desk on the occasion of my first visit, and a month later, on my second visit, I knew that I was indeed part of the Lake Rabun Hotel family. By my observation, the "royal treatment" is extended to everyone. The ambiance of the place is sort of ""upscale rustic," a warm and inviting atmosphere, with lots of wood, lovely colorfully patterned rugs on the wonderfully creaky hardwood floors, Adirondack furniture, stone walkways outside and surrounding the hotel; outside, there's also flowing water, a Koi fishpond and lots of lovingly tended flowers all around, with the main historic building nestled in a stand of hardwood and pine trees, just a stone's throw from the extraordinarily beautiful Lake Rabun, and just a short and easy walk to historic Hall's Boat House and Marina. (And, as a dining option, Louie's Italian Restaurant, popular in the summer months, is located just across the street from the hotel.) Now, keep in mind that the rooms don't have televisions or telephones, but count this as a big plus! The hotel does have complimentary WiFi, so you can easily connect to the "real world" using your iPad, smartphone or similar. (I would note that there is a large widescreen television in one of the main floor public rooms, just off the lobby, where you'll also be welcomed to play the upright piano which is located here. Actually, you'll discover another piano, this one a baby grand, situated just forward of the hotel's main entry door, quite near the large lobby fireplace.) There are several "packages" which are available to you, depending on how you would like to spend your vacation, and it's also possible to book a massage right in the hotel, or take out a boat on Lake Rabun. Many local sightseeing and activity options from which to choose. You'll find the staff at the Reception Desk and around the hotel both knowledgeable, outgoing, friendly and helpful when seeking information about what to "see and do" in this part of North Georgia. Two wonderful cats (Chloe and Meow, the latter quite aptly named!) pretty much have the run of the place, and are quite sure, in their "cat minds," that they own the hotel, graciously allowing you to stay with them for a few nights. You'll love them, I'm sure. I don't think you'll find a better restaurant in this part of the State; in fact, you would probably have to head to Atlanta or Athens to find the equal or better. The three dinners I had at the LRH Restaurant were exceptional, with great, friendly, unpretentious professional service, with the food locally sourced. Depending on the weather, you may certainly dine outdoors, on the (heated if necessary) outer deck. Next to the restaurant (which is itself located just beyond the entry lobby and the Reception Desk) is the hotel's small, but more than adequate, full-service bar. A great place for an afternoon beer or cocktail. The bartender maintains a well-stocked bar and can make, I am sure, any beverage or specialty drink you would like. Great wine list, too! I should also point out that both the restaurant and bar are frequented by many of the local "lake people" who have had permanent or summer homes on Lake Rabun for many years, as well as others living in nearby Clayton and other surrounding towns. These locals love this place and have been dining and drinking here for years. You will also enjoy the "for sale" framed paintings, photographs and other artwork which adorn the walls of the main floor, all by local artists, and often portraying / depicting scenes of the hotel, the lake, Hall's Boat House, and even the hotel's two cats! A hearty breakfast is included for each morning of your stay. Please BRING YOUR CAMERA to photograph the beautiful breakfast which is served to you, as it is enormous. If I've stayed in my travels in 8-10 other bed and breakfast establishments, I can say without hesitation that the LRH breakfast is the biggest and the best of them all. I enjoyed a total of 4 breakfasts here, and not once was I able to eat everything on my plate. You'll also appreciate that Lake Burton, Lakemont, Dillard, the Foxfire Museum and Heritage Center, and Tallulah Falls / Tallulah Gorge are only short drives away. Well, this is my take on the Lake Rabun Hotel. Short of actually living on the lake, I'm quite sure this is the next best thing, keeping in mind that the hotel has been a permanent fixture of Lake Rabun for almost 100 years, lovingly owned and maintained, with a recent renovation in 2008, I believe it was. (I am certain that the staff I met are very proud to tell their family, friends and acquaintances that they are working for the Lake Rabun Hotel.) Finally, if you are looking for a super-friendly, relaxing comfortable getaway from the pressures of the real world for a couple of day, or even a week or longer, I don't think you can do any better than the Lake Rabun Hotel in this part of North Georgia. I am already planning my next trip, and will hope to see you there, too! --- Scott Kinney, Jackson County, Georgia

Room Tip: I think all the rooms here are quaint and charming, but in the main hotel building, only the Andreae...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank MainStreetScott
Jenna T, Guest Relations Manager at Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
I cannot begin to tell you how much we appreciate your kind words. You are indeed a member of the Lake Rabun Hotel family! It is so wonderful that you were able to partake and enjoy every aspect of what the Northeast Georgia mountains have to offer. Guests such as yourself is why we do what we do and why we continue to go above and beyond for everyone that walks through our doors. We sincerely look forward to seeing you soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
anderson sc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed at the LRH for two week-days in May. We had been regular visitors back in the "real rustic" days back in the late 70's and were curious about the renovation after the hotel fell on hard times.

The new owners did a superb job of fixing the sinking foundations and sagging roofs without compromising the look and feel of the original lodge/retreat atmosphere. The addition of bath rooms for each room and the air conditioning was a very welcome improvement!

Yes, the room are small. Yes, you can hear sounds from other guests. Yes, the internet is spotty. But this is a rustic old time mountain lodge that has been brought up to speed in a caring and gentle way. I loved the people proportioned rooms and the fact that folks had to put away their cell phones and actually engage in conversation with each other ( -what a novel idea! =))

Now for the bonus round. The golden glow of the old wood and rugs and hand carved pillars juxtaposed with a shiny black concert grand piano with a perfect wild flower bouquet perched on top is a feast for the eyes. The sweet kitty giving lessons on how to relax on one of the inviting decks was a feast for the soul. The delicious and creative food served in the restaurant was a feast for the taste buds.

We took advantage of the many day hikes in the area and took out a canoe for a peaceful paddle. We loved the shops and the "grill" at the restored Alley Grocery - I have always been won over by oil cloth table cloths with heirloom flower prints.

Well, we just had a delightful time and will certainly return. If you are one to complain because your lodging does not compare to a Hampton Inn, then do your homework before booking a room. LRH is a cute,quaint retreat with more than enough eye candy to offset any of the adventures of inconvenience associated with the context that the owners have managed to keep from the "old days"

Room Tip: The Garden Room is a little larger.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jenna T, Guest Relations Manager at Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Thank you so much for such a thoughtful and well articulated review. The staff and owners of the Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant take great pride in the measures that were taken to update the hotel with modern amenities, and yet keeping with the historical integrity of such a special and unique building. It is wonderful that you were able to experience and enjoy all that the hotel has to offer. We sincerely appreciate guests such as yourselves and are excited for your return
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

If you find the amenities in the old, well kept lodges of our national parks (like Yellowstone's Old Faithful Inn or Crater Lake Lodge) to your liking, then you will love the recently restored Lake Rabun Hotel. A charming jewel in northeast Georgia built in 1922, it boasts both a friendly, attentive staff, and a 5 star restaurant! The chef starts with locally sourced meats, vegetables, and fruits to create memorable dishes in taste and presentation. From the Low Country Shrimp and Grits to Shepherd's Pie, the chef's skills truly delight!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jenna T, Guest Relations Manager at Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Thank you so much for your patronage at the Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant and thanks as well for taking the time to write your review. With the Adirondack style of the hotel, we love to see all of our guests embrace and enjoy the hard work that went into restoring such a special building. We also take great pride in sourcing locally 90% of everything that comes out of our kitchen. Cannot wait to have you back!
Summerville, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

I did my research on this hotel prior to booking. So I knew what to expect and what NOT to expect, therefore there were no failed expectations! My husband and I booked the Garden Room. It was rustic and charming! We had a small view of the lake and it felt more private then the "shared patio". I was nervous about booking an Inn. I'm used to traveling a lot for business and was looking for something completely different for pleasure. We arrived on a Tuesday afternoon and enjoyed champagne at the koi pond along with the two cats that hung around us. The restaurant was closed, but Jenna the Inn Keeper emailed me prior to the visit of other great restaurants in the area so we were prepared. Had a great dinner at the Universal Joint, which is a converted old gas station with tons of retro charm. When we came back we learned we would be the only guests to late that night! The employee showed us how to turn on the fire place downstairs and left! What fun! We had the beautiful place to ourselves for a while! The next morning we enjoyed and wonderful breakfast and walk around the lake.

To the negative reviews posted, I say this: Do your homework. It's rustic and charming with lots of great touches. It is not a major hotel/chain. If you have an open mind to great experiences this is it!!!!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Jenna T, Guest Relations Manager at Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
It was so wonderful to have the two of you as our guests! It is always lucky when you have the whole place to yourselves; there is almost a magical feel in the air when you are away from the hustle and bustle of city life and can just relax and enjoy your surrounding. You were an absolute pleasure to have as guests, and as always, look forward to serving you in the future.
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

We loved our two nights at Lake Rabun hotel! The hotel was so cute and charming. I loved the wood furniture through out the property and the quiet nooks available to cuddle with my husband. Breakfast was included with our package. There wasn't a breakfast menu to make a selection; we were served what ever the chef decided to make that morning, which was ok because the food was delicious. We had reservations for dinner and were seated right away, and of course the food and drinks were awesome (and yes, there was a menu to choose from for dinner). Despite the walls being so thin, we were still able to have a good night's rest thanks to the white-noise machine included in the bedroom. The hotel is very clean and smells lovely. I would definitely return to Lake Rabun for another romantic getaway.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jenna T, Guest Relations Manager at Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Yay! Thank you so much for taking the time to post such nice comments about the Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant. The award-wining restaurant is surely one of the highlights of everyone's stay here, so we are so glad that you enjoyed it. And yes, the walls are thin so we appreciate you using the amenities that we offer in so that you can have a great night sleep without any disturbances (thanks for being such a good sport!). We look forward to seeing you both again very soon.
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Lake Rabun is a charming inn, converted from an old hunting lodge. The breakfast is terrific.

We stayed one night and immediately left the next morning after breakfast, losing hundreds of dollars on a nonrefundable reservation. I've never done something like this before. It took us 5 hours to get there from North Carolina. However, the bed was so substandard that it was impossible to get a decent night's sleep.

Let me explain. First, the bed was small, hard, and caved in in the middle. It creaked every time you moved, which meant anything other than sleeping would create a racket. The quilt was some type of polyester fiberfill, and I suspect the sheets and other bedding were probably synthetic materials. My husband and I woke up repeatedly--hot now, cold now, hot now, cold now. We tried opening a window, thinking if we got the room cold enough it would be okay. It was not. I tried to sleep on the edge of the bed so I wouldn't disturb him when I woke up, but the feeling was like trying to sleep on a cliff. I could hear another guest snoring. Which explains the reason there was a sound machine in the room.

The rooms are so tiny that there is no room for a chair, bedside table, or cabinet to hang clothes. If you look closely at the photo, you'll see what looks like a branch affixed to the wall above the bed. That's where you hang your clothes. The inn has public rooms, so there are charming spaces to hang out with other guests. But if you like a little privacy, you will not get it in your room. And note: we were told, "Oh, you have our best room!"

The bathroom door--which looked original to the house--was mis-hung so that there was a large gap at the top. The door stuck to the floor. Going to the bathroom during the night meant shoving the door closed and creating a loud screech. Later my husband said he figured out that if he lifted it by the doorknob, it didn't scrape across the floor. But he's got biceps like Pop-eye.

Also note that the Lake Rabun Hotel is neither on Lake Rabun nor does it have access to the lake. It never occurred to me to ask if the hotel was on the water! You can get a peek of the lake from the upstairs porch, but that's it. If I'm going to a lake, I'd like to enjoy the water--at least see it!

And speaking of the upstairs porch, be advised that if you have allergies to cats, which I don't, you will not be able to use the porch. The owner keeps the cat's water and food on the porch, which is very small. A white fluffy cat sleeps in the largest rocker, so be sure to brush and pick off all the hair before you sit down, in the event that you are wearing black. The cat is one of 2 that I saw. One of my daughters is highly allergic to cats, and she would never be able to so much as set foot on the porch.

I noticed that the other porch, which could be for the Garden Room (?), actually looks out over the parking lot. I felt sorry for the couple I saw seated there when the gas company pulled up. Nothing romantic about being 20 feet from people getting in & out of their cars.

I have traveled widely and am fairly easy going about accommodations. I am not a princess. But I would never recommend this hotel until these basic issues are addressed.

Room Tip: I did not see the interior of "The Innkeeper's Cottage," but if the beds are different...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Writersrock
First, I would like to sincerely apologize on behalf of the staff and management at the Lake Rabun Hotel. We are very sorry that we did not meet your expectations. Every issue that was mentioned is being investigated. That being said, I would like to go point by point to address the issues in which you brought up in your review.
The number one aspect about the hotel is our unyielding willingness to make our guests happy. When someone is unhappy, we do whatever is in our power to change that. When a guests leaves without any reason and has not alerted the staff to an early departure, however, there leaves no way in which to make up for any discrepancies in service.
Second, we make it very clear to any guest who contacts us about our rooms, location on the lake, differences in pricing and why, the fact that because the hotel was updated and renovated the size of the rooms were sacrificed in order for every guest room to now have its own bathroom (before the hotel was renovated there were two COMMUNAL bathrooms for guests to use).
Because this is a historic building, there are many aspects of the hotel that cannot be helped (i.e. thinness of the walls and antique door frames). The integrity of such a wonderful building was maintained and therefore certain things about the hotel are certainly not for everyone.
As for our location, we make no secret that we are across the street from Lake Rabun. Because families have been building memories on Lake Rabun since 1915, most of the lakefront property is private and has been this way for almost 100 years. We do, however, offer all of our guests the opportunity to rent pontoon boats, ski boats, canoes, kayaks, etcetera. Just because the lake is the across the street, doesn't mean that it is not seen an enjoyed by all of our guests.
The cats are a part of the Lake Rabun Hotel family and have been here for many years. We understand that some guests are allergic to cats, so we provide several other sitting areas and decks both inside and outside the hotel for you to use.
Again, we apologize profusely that you did not enjoy your brief time here at the hotel, and hope that if such issues every arise and that you do come back and stay (which we sincerely hope that you do), please inform the staff of these issues IMMEDIATELY so that they may be addressed. Thank you again for your comments. We take guest feedback very seriously and work tirelessly to improve service for everyone.
Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

We absolutely loved our time at the Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant. We stayed in the Andrea room - it's on the lakeside of the hotel & has a fireplace, which we ran several times throughout the weekend as it was cold and rainy on Saturday. We arrived late on Friday (about 9pm) and we were still greeted by a friendly staff who still gave us a tour around the restaurant and hotel despite the late hour and that they were nearing time to go home. The room isn't huge as others have stated but it doesn't need to be...very comfortable. There are noises from doors, floors and furniture but it adds to the charm. Our room was on the first second floor above the lobby/restaurant so there was a bit of noise Saturday night when someone decided to sing "Lean On Me" and play the piano...but the noise was short lived and didn't disturb us too much. The cat who makes her home the porch near the Andrea rooms was very friendly - I'm not a cat person but I enjoyed seeing her there sleeping and she always perked up when you went out onto the porch. The included breakfast was delicious and varied each morning. We booked a romance package that came with a credit for the restaurant so we had dinner on Saturday night - delicious! The credit was enough to cover two entrees (crab cakes and shrimp & grits - yummy!), dessert (strawberry shortcake!) and soda/beer. Our waitress was fantastic and let us know that we were short of using our entire credit so we could order another drink or something to use our full credit. We loved it and will definitely be going back again!

Room Tip: Andrea room is great!!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jenna T, Guest Relations Manager at Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
It is absolutely wonderful that you were able to take advantage to some of the amenities that the hotel has to offer, from the on-site award-winning dining room to the hotel cat, Chloe. Thank you so much for your kind words, and we hope to see you very soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakemont
The Park On Main Hotel
Glen-Ella Springs Inn
Glen-Ella Springs Inn
#1 of 5 in Clarkesville
Mitchell's Lodge & Cottages

Been to Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!