“Tasty German cuisine in rural Georgia”
Review of Sabine's Coffee Haus - CLOSED

Sabine's Coffee Haus
Reviewed 6 July 2014

If you find yourself on Hwy 78 coming East out of Athens (about 13 miles outside of town), you might not pay much attention to it, but you'll go through a small, cute town called Lexington. My girlfriend and I pass through this way often and stopped at what we thought was a Bratwurst stand. It turns out it's much more. It's a cute little restaurant, well decorated and quaint, with a mixture of furniture and personal touches that make it very inviting. The owners / staff were very friendly and are actually German, which is a good sign in a German restaurant! After asking about their artwork, we got to discuss some of their favorite places they've been fortunate enough to have traveled around the world.

They have a separate lunch and dinner menu, but we opted for what made us stop in the first place -- Bratwurst! Grilled to order, served on a nice hoagie bun, and a nice little toppings area where I added some sauerkraut, onions & German mustard. It was exactly what I wanted and delicious! I didn't get a chance to sample their beer selection, but I'd like to go back and give that a try. I did notice their sign out front mentioned beer, wine & free wi-fi!

While this might be a bit of a drive if heading out of Athens, if you're looking for something new to try, I think it's absolutely worth the drive!

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

I've been driving through Lexington for several years and saw this place open up. I've always meant to stop in Lexington to look at the antique shops. It's a blink and you'll miss it kind of place. Eating here was kind of like stopping by my friend's house or Mom's place for a quick bite. My BF and I had a bratwurst each and it came with a bag of chips and we ordered a side of German potato salad while we sat at farmhouse style antique table. The eatery is full of artwork, hand knitted goods for sale, and photography by the owner. You can also order coffee and pastry here. It was just us and the owner and a local for a visit. The food was tasty and I'm glad we stopped by in a whim. If you're driving through Lexington, GA don't write this place off, stop in and get a drink (they also serve beer) and a couple of brats.