“renovated yet neglected”

Red Roof Inn Locust Grove
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Locust Grove
Reviewed 12 February 2014

This red roof renovation had a good concept however if it's not kept up to par than it's a wasted investment. Nice beds and moderate updates however small spaces should be kept clean. Stained showers and lack of attention to keeping bathrooms, room surfaces, and appliances clean without questionable stains and residue! That along with the desk clerk not being familiar with online booking payments and her snappy attitude when her lack of knowledge or incorrect info is addressed becomes ridiculously inconvenient. However the gentleman ahead of me got the worse part of her attitude so she clearly isn't a morning person however hospitality should not be her choice to display it. So they need to get it back in order considering there is other options within both walking and driving distance. The appearance is the only good thing along with the lack of booked rooms makes it quiet but you realize why a nice renovation is so empty compared to other hotels near by!

Room Tip: Pay attention to entrance. The entrance is the same driveway for a fast food and another hotel. Don...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Live_Love_Life_Trips
Mlassiter, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Locust Grove, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

I am so sorry that we failed with room cleanliness and service. You are absolutely correct about service. There is no excuse to be "snappy" to any guest. I am so sorry that you had to witness this and even be a part of it. I will have a discussion with the entire staff to inform them of this. Again, I am sorry for the issues you had. I hope that you will give us another chance in the future.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

The rooms were newly upgraded. We stayed here on our way to Florida on December 29, 2013. We had a third floor room, and it was quiet and comfortable. The first room had drapes that were pulled from their hooks so they wouldn't close. They were very busy and lots of people with dogs--us included--but they found us another room, and that one was fine. We had dinner at the Mexican restaurant steps away from the hotel and had very good chicken fajitas. It's difficult to find places that are clean and newly remodeled! And we have found it's difficult to find "safe-feeling" areas in and around Atlanta. They offer a breakfast in the morning as well. It was adequate--but the breakfast room is very small, like the all are. We will stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a third floor room to eliminate any 'noise on the ceiling.'
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank worldtraveler4727
Mlassiter, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Locust Grove, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Thank you for choosing our hotel. Our hotel was actually the first hotel built to the new NextGen specifications for Red Roof Inn. It is very unique with beautiful decor including laminate hardwood floors, glass showers with rainfall shower heads, and flat screen TVs. We look forward to seeing you again on your next travels.

Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

We've never stayed at a Red Roof, but would stay in one of the upgraded properties again. The "deluxe" one double bed room was a good value for the money (about $50 per night). The room was small, but fine for 2 people. The room was nicely decorated, the laminate floors were unique, the bathroom was
very modern, and the workspace was large. There was some rust in the shower (weird), but that was about the only downside. I was irritated that the hotel had problems finding any info about my 15% discount. I thought I booked thru redroof.com, but the website said the confirmation # I had was a tripadvisor #, not redroof. I was too tired to argue about it, but finally a hotel manager approved the discount. Ugh, not fun, and not sure where the blame lies.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

So sorry for the inconvenience you had about your discounted amount. Sometimes booking on websites can be frustrating. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will definitely start replacing the "rusty" soap dishes in these room. We look forward to seeing you again. Maybe you can try a king room next time that is larger for just a few dollars more.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

I stayed here with my husband and our golden retriever on our way to Florida in November of 2013.
The rooms are what they call the 'Next Gen' rooms and they are quite pleasing. I really liked the dark 'wood' flooring and the idea that the carpet is only near the door area...really nice for those of us travelling with dogs.
The bed was very comfortable and the shower (with its rain-fall shower head) was quite a treat!

Restaurants, gas bars and convenience stores are all within walking distance for all your travel needs. Apparently the Tanger Outlet Mall is extremely close too! (something my hubby forgot to mention that to me when we were there)
Close to the interstate so getting 'back on the road' is a breeze.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GilnJo
Mlassiter, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Locust Grove, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Thank you for choosing the Red Roof NextGen rooms while traveling in November. I am glad that you brought your "best friend" with you as well. Just so you know for next time Tanger Outlet has over 70 stores including Coach, Old Navy, Under Armor, Nike, Polo, etc. and it is located right behind the property. Thanks again for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you in the futures.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

I stayed here with my husband and 2 kids on our way down to Florida in October. After reading numerous reviews online I decided that this hotel would work best. Apparently it was newly remodeled and clean. I found the complete opposite. The elevators and hallways were filthy. We got to our room and I was not impressed. It was super tiny. Barely room for the 4 of us to move around. We got there late so as soon as we arrived we went to get some dinner (there are not many dining options) and then came home to get some rest. The following morning when I woke up I realized there were ants crawling along the baseboards, behind the mirrors, around the door, up the corner of the wall, around the windows. They were everywhere! We finished getting ready and quickly left. Upon checkout I was asked how things were and immediately told them about the ants. The girl at the front desk seemed to care less. I was told that maintenance would spray them. I of course filled out a survey they sent a day later and put in about the ants. They responded by telling me they would give me a credit of $10 for sleeping in the ant infested room. Here I am 3 months later and have never received any sort of credit from Red Roof. I do not recommend staying here unless you plan to pack some bug spray. I have noticed more recent reviews with the same ant problems!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank TriciaJG
Mlassiter, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Locust Grove, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

I am so sorry about your experience at our hotel. Please rest assured that we have a pest eliminiation company that is aggressively taking care of the ant issue we have had the hotel. The ants are coming in due to all of the rain we have had this year. I will look into the other issues you mentioned. Please feel free to contact directly.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

I picked this hotel because it was located where I wanted to stay and because they are pet friendly. Alicia at the front desk was extremely friendly and helpful when I checked in. The room was very small but adequate for our needs. I liked the wood lament floors instead of carpet. The bathroom was wonderful. The open air feeling of the shower was relaxing. The bed was comfortable, not too hard and not too soft. Just a good mattress with support. This was not an upscale facility. It was a nice room, for a nice price, for two people and a cat. And sometimes, when one is traveling that is really all you want a place to shower and a comfortable bed. The morning staff were just as friendly as Alicia.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much for taking time to tell others about your experience at our NextGen Red Roof Inn. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had excellent customer service. We look forward to seeing you again on your travels to the Atlanta area.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

I first stayed in this hotel in 2011 on my way from Chicago to Orlando and was really impressed by the new, modern look. Hardwood floors and modern sink and rain shower, although it is odd not to have a shower door or curtain. I stayed again in 2012 and had the same experience. This year, however, I had a totally different experience. The management of this hotel has let it turn into a dump. I stayed in room 110 on 12/11/13 and the floors were dirty and I saw a few ants in the bathroom near the shower. I didn't let it bother me as I was easily able to kill those I saw. However, when we stayed on our return on 12/15/13, I was put in room 216, which was totally infested with ants. I saw at least 100 of them in the bathroom, was able to see them crawling on the floor outside the bathroom and even saw a few on the sheets when I pulled the bed spread back. I was traveling with a dog and was not about to have him sleep on an ant infested floor. I went down to the front desk and demanded to be moved. Fortunately, room 202 was fine. I didn't see one ant in the room, but moving from one room to another at 1am was not what I really wanted to do.

One other thing that bothered me, is that the dog potty area has holly plants that are poisonous to dogs in it. So much for being pet friendly...they're apparently trying to poison dogs.

I will never stay here again, if I pass through that area again and will spend the extra $$ to stay at the La Quinta, across the parking lot, which my friends who stayed there, said was very nice and clean.

Room Tip: Check room for ants!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Mlassiter, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Locust Grove, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Dear Loyal Guests - I am so sorry that you encountered ants during your stay with us. I am glad that we were able to accommodate you in a different room so that you could have a restful stay. I was totally unaware of any plant on our property that was not pet friendly. I will definitely have this removed immediately. We have an extensive service agreement with a pest elimination company and they are aggressively taking care of any ants. Again, I am very sorry for your inconvenience during your last stay with us, but I hope you will reconsider our hotel the next time you are in the area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Locust Grove
Best Western Mcdonough Inn & Suites
Super 8 Locust Grove
Super 8 Locust Grove
#6 of 10 in Locust Grove

Been to Red Roof Inn Locust Grove? Share your experiences!