“Quality food at pub prices”
Review of The Catts Inn

The Catts Inn
Price range: £3 - £13
Description: The Catts Inn is a traditional British pub serving traditional pub food. We have a wide range of local beers & ciders and lagers. The pub has been recently refurbished.
Reviewed 27 September 2020

A change in management in the past two weeks has brought brilliant quality pub food at affordable prices to this historic Inn. The latest covid restrictions are being well adhered to and it is great to see that the Catts Inn has returned to its welcoming village pub atmosphere with friendly staff and a first class chef. At present the Catts is shut on Mondays but well worth checking the menu for other days. Friends, and I particularly enjoyed chef's Sunday roast and a delicious lunch during the week. Really looking forward to our next visit.

Date of visit: September 2020

Reviewed 7 November 2019

I came to visit my brother and his wife, whom live in Rotherfield. My wife and I had been driving for three hours and were relieved to arrive In the village.
We were very hungry and a little early, so we decided to pop in to the catts inn, as my brother had recommended it for a decent breakfast.
As we walked through the door, we noticed there were no customers (bad sign) there was a man behind the bar (I presume the owner) who obviously heard us enter but didn’t bother to lift his head from his newspaper.
I then ventured “excuse me” politely, to which he responded “what” i asked slightly amazed. Are you serving food, to which he said “no” abruptly and sank back in to his paper. Horrible rude and unfriendly man. No wonder there were no customers. So unnecessary.

Date of visit: November 2019
StuartS1485, Owner at The Catts Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2019

James.,

I am sorry if you had a bad experience during your recent visit to the Catts Inn.

Could you please confirm the date of your visit because I am a little confused. I am Stuart the landlord & chef and the only male member of staff who works here and I have never read a paper behind a bar in my life.

My partner and I were away October 26th to 30th when we had temps covering for us.

Your feedback is important to us so we can take some action in this matter.

We pride ourselves on our happy customers and as such would like to offer you a Sunday lunch for two on us.

We look forward to seeing you and getting your feedback.

Regards.,

Stuart Shaw
Catts Inn

Reviewed 22 August 2019

A friend has just moved to the area, so we thought we'd try out the Catts Inn. We were not very impressed. The small dining room was nicely decorated if somewhat old fashioned in style. The food was plentiful - too much really for lunchtime appetites -but was completely unremarkable. The choice was pretty standard pub fare, but wasn’t very tasty and was a bit on the heavy side. I am told though that the pub has been significantly improved by it’s present landlords. We will be trying the other establishments in the village and not returning here in a hurry.

Date of visit: August 2019
1  Thank Jamjmm
StuartS1485, General Manager at The Catts Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2019

Jammjmm, sorry for the delay is getting back to you on this. It is very difficult to find admin time when you are running a pub (but important to find the time when possible).
Firstly with regards the style of the pub we wanted to retain the character of the pub with a fresh feel which the locals and regulars seem to be impressed with. Too many pub have been spoilt by going down the gastro route and hense alienating people who have been the heart and soul of the pub for years. We are part of a very small chain of pubs (11) and the ethos is the same throughout.
As the chef/general manager I have always believed in giving people good value for money so my portion size will never leave you wanting. I have been to many gastro/fine dining establishments where I have paid a lot of money (for tasty food I hasten to add) but left hungry. I promised myself our customers would never do this. However, we do offer lite bites for those with smaller appitites and they are marked on our menu with an asterix.
I am sorry if your meal wasn't very tasty, but without know what dish you had I cannot comment any further, only to say we try and cater for a wide range of tastes from the bland (this would include my Dad!!!!!) to the spicy.
I can see from your previous reviews that you have high praise for some of your visits elsewhere, so we are not taking your review lightly or trying to make excuses. So what I would like to do is offer you an olive branch. We would like you to visit again and please introduce yourself. Whatever meal you choose we will ask you to pay whatever you feel the dish is worth, whether that is £10, £5.00, £1 or nothing. At the end of the day we would like to be one of your better reviews (like the review posted by the lady a couple of days before yours) and not one of your worse.

Reviewed 17 August 2019

Great evening at The Catts Inn Rotherfield last night. Very tasty food, home cooked and plentiful. The owners have done a fantastic job refurbishing the place and all the food looked and smelt lovely. Will definitely be returning to try some other dishes. Well done and hope you are part of the village for many years to come. If you are in Rotherfield or passing through, give this pub a try - you won’t be disappointed

Date of visit: August 2019

Valerie, sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this. Finding admin time when running a pub is very difficult (however very important).
Thank you for taking the time to post your experience with us and we are glad you enjoyed your visit.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Just to let you know we are now taking bookings for the festive season and the menu can be found on our website along with a booking button.
See you soon.

Reviewed 16 July 2019 via mobile

Strange as it seems, we have been here before and not spent enough time with the owners.
What a fantastic bunch.
A table at the back restaurant with beautiful food and company.
Harvey’s is still outstanding.
The ambiance and company is lovely.
Thanks again all members of the crew, especially Lizzy. And the owners.
100%

Date of visit: July 2019
StuartS1485, General Manager at The Catts Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2019

Ethan,
Many thanks for taking the time to write this review. I saw you had the slow cooked BBQ'd pork chop which is a personal favourite of mine. The pork was sourced locally from Renhurst Farm. As you know we slow cook a lot of our meat Sous Vide which not only means that the meat melts in the mouth but also the flavour is locked in.
I believe your partner had the seafood risotto which is one of our best sellers at the moment.
Glad you both enjoyed and look forward to seeing you again soon.