“What a beautiful canyon!”

Providence Canyon State Outdoor Recreation Area
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Lumpkin
More attraction details
Owner description: A strange land formation called "The Little Grand Canyon."
Reviewed 25 October 2013

My friend and I went to see this canyon yesterday, I had been wanting to go for a long time and believe me we really enjoyed it, it is beautiful and great for taking photo's and I want to go back and walk the canyon, we couldn't this time as he didn't have the shoes on for it. I recommend it as place for all who love nature to go, there is also picnic tables and places for the children to have a good time and it is a nice drive to get there. I understand that farmers many years ago farmed that land but didn't have any idea what all of their watering was going to do, however, I am glad they did it as it is a beautiful place to see and enjoy, just be sure you take your walking shoes, ha!

1  Thank 315gypsytraveler315

Reviewed 14 October 2013

My 9 year old son and I visited this park last Saturday. We had some work in Columbus, GA and decided to check this park while we were nearby (35 mi away). I was initially worried about getting dehydrated and sun-burned (like at Grand Canyon!) and so I carried over a gallon of water in my backpack and put down plenty of sun block on both of us. It was sunny and 84F that day. I am not going to cover the history and geology of the canyon as that has been explained already. After signing in at the trail head, we headed down to the canyon floor, which is only about 150 ft below the rim. The canyon had so many shade providing trees, that had grown over the last 150 years, that it was cool and comfortable throughout the hike. We had to walk in very shallow brooks (1 inch deep at most) that flowed along the canyon floor. For this, I recommend you wear either waterproof footwear (like crocs, skele-toes or waterproof shoes). It is a fun hike to the canyons. We started at Canyon 1 and visited them in order from 1-9. The rock faces were truly splendid with difference shades of chalk white to yellow to orange to brownish-red and lavender. There were plenty of clearings to view these un-obstructed and take photos. The rock is very soft and I am amazed it has not all come tumbling down in the lightest of rains. Our favorite spot was between Canyons 4 and 5 where we could sit and look almost 360 degrees around the canyon. There is also multi-colored sand that is cool to the touch and fun for the kids to play with. We spent 4 hours just between the canyons, enjoying the views and trek, that we didn't have time to walk around the rest of the 3 mi trail around the canyon rim. We missed out on the abandoned cars that others talk about. The only complaint is that there is Graffiti among some of the rock faces though I don't blame the park for that. If visitors could be more respectful to others and mother nature, that could be avoided. But that is impossible I guess. We saw some deer, small birds and a few lizards. WE were hoping to see Armadillos and snakes but the park was a little too crowded that day with visitors and that might have scared them off. Plan to spend 3-4 hours at least. The backcountry trail (7 mi) needs a permit and we were not equipped (neither did we have the time). Perhaps we will explore that next time though it does not feature any canyons. The $5 entrance fee is totally worth it and more. I shall take the rest of the family there next year as it is truly a hidden gem in Georgia!

9  Thank betasplen
Reviewed 11 October 2013

If you are in southwest Georgia, do yourself a favor and take a trip to Providence Canyon. The views are spectacular. It is hard to believe that the canyons have formed in the last 100 or so years through the use of poor farming techniques. Our activities have tremendous impact on our environment, for sure. The park has a couple of playgrounds, restrooms and trails. One unique thing to see is the abandoned cars on the canyon rim trail - these cars were left from an old homestead on the property. This site is worth a detour to visit!

3  Thank ugagrad98
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I went here with friends on one of my last weekends living in GA and I'm glad we did. The canyons were stunning and we got some great pictures. We started the hike at the base of the canyons and walked around down there. Afterwards, we hiked around the tope, which was supposed to be about a 6 mile hike.

The trail for the hike wasn't marked very well, so we had to backtrack several times. We've all hiked quite a bit and it was one the most confusing trails because the map given out by the park wasn't any help. The hike had some neat things to see - trees which had grown through old cars and trucks and a view of the canyon from the rim. Definitely worth a visit if you're looking for a nice hike - just don't try to rush it because you may have to backtrack to find your way out.

4  Thank Shoregirl82
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Unfortunately it rained during our entire stay. Even so, we did enjoy this "man caused" canyon. There are numerous trails however you can see the canyon from the picnic pavilion. This is not a destination trip, it is a nice side trip. There is not a lot of information about the canyon; the range station was closed.

1  Thank a_a_mart