“Average food, but so glad it was open!”
Review of Tequila Express Cafe - CLOSED

Tequila Express Cafe
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We ate at Tequila Express on July 4th, when everything else in Madison was closed. After reading the reviews, I had high expectations for the food. My husband ordered a hamburger, which was average~ definitely not fresh. I ordered the Mediterranean chicken, which was so full of garlic that it overpowered the rest of the ingredients. The pasta was cooked perfectly, and the vegetables worked well together, but the overabundance of garlic was just too much. To get the garlic taste out of my mouth, I ordered a piece of raspberry cheesecake, which was pretty good. The wait staff was wonderful, and very attentive. The noise from one of the freezers/refrigerators made a deafening drone in the restaurant.

Reviewed 19 June 2013

We were in Madison to photograph a wedding and had a few minutes for lunch. Tequila Express was right there so we tried it and it was good. I got the special for the day but the tortilla were not "cooked" it had lettuce, chicken rolled up in it and sauce on top. I think it would have been better if they had put it on the stove top for a few minutes to brown the tortilla. But that is just me. Chris had Chicken Quesadilla and she liked it. They are moving to a new building in July.

Reviewed 7 June 2013

No restaurant in Madison has a more diverse menu than the Tequila Express Café. With a cuisine that combines Spanish, Mediterranean, and American flavors, Tequila offers a selection that satisfies even the most finicky customers. This local establishment has become one of our family’s favorites and the owner is a close and personal friend. Every experience has been exceptional and we’re happy to support a local in the community.

Each meal starts with a generous serving of house-made tortilla chips, refried beans, and salsas, but try something different and order the “Oven Baked Feta Cheese.” Wrapped in foil with fresh tomatoes, olive oil, and herbs, this starter is a unique alternative to the typical quesos found at similar establishments. Be sure to consider one of the various salads as well; they deserve more than a cursory glance. The “Greek Salads” – with beef and lamb, chicken, shrimp, or salmon; feta cheese; kalamata olives; and house dressing – offer light, but flavorful options that go beyond traditional iceberg salads with tomatoes and onions. The seafood alone is worth a visit. More than 200 miles from the nearest coast, Tequila somehow manages to serve some of the freshest seafood in Madison. The “Grilled Tilapia” and the “Santorini Shrimp” are some of our favorites.

In July of 2013, the owner will be expanding Tilapia into a new venue across the street under a new name, “Ricardo’s Kouzzina - Bar and Grill.” The updated menu will include approx. 80% of the old favorites and a few new specials to accompany the change. Once the new location opens, I’m sure we’ll be some of the first in line.

Reviewed 5 June 2013

Ok, ambiance no, but if you want fabulous service an delicious food, this is the place. I got Parmesan roasted shrimp with pasta insert sauce... Seriously, too die for, fast, yummy and friendly. Ask for Angie.

Reviewed 2 June 2013

This casual restaurant is far from a Mexican taco place. The owners are Greek, and the food is authentic Mediterranean. Service was quick and the price was reasonable.