“Our First Stop in Madison, GA”

Rogers House and Rose Cottage
Ranked #3 of 12 things to do in Madison
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We enjoyed touring both homes and the history of each was very interesting, but my husband and I both felt that the docent didn't like us for some reason. At the end of the tour, she abruptly said "goodbye" and went back inside Rogers House without any further conversation. We looked at each other and figured that meant our tour was over.

1  Thank Cindy F

Reviewed 18 October 2013

These tours are great to arouse or entertain your inner "history geekiness". The docents are very knowledgeable about the life and times in this era. Be inquisitive - they'll not only answer questions about architecture and furnishings, lifestyles and such, they can also tell you some very interesting stories passed down thru generations in local families. You can tour these homes on a ticket by themselves or in combination with Heritage Hall, which is what we did (also highly recommend). The Rogers House and Rose Cottage are side by side, Heritage Hall is several blocks away, but still very walkable. Also, don't limit yourself to the inside of these homes, walk around outside, outback. Very enjoyable way to spend the afternoon.

1  Thank Sandy T
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Rogers House represents "Middle Class" living, and Rose Cottage "Lower Class" living, to fully appreciate what's being presented I recommend you see these 2 homes as part of the package deal available when seeing Heritage Hall. Seen by themselves one might leave with unimpressed, but juxtapositioned against Heritage Hall you leave with a complete picture of life in Madison in the 19th Century. As I mentioned in my review of Heritage Hall, Madison's draw is its Historic Architecture, I can't imagine coming here without wanting to view these homes.

1  Thank Blue-Eyes-Fam
Reviewed 28 August 2013

This was part of the tour package, small home of average southern person not like the grand southern home like Heritage Hall

Reviewed 16 August 2013

This plantation plain house shows how middle-class people lived. As with most houses of the period, a simple two-room house was first built, then expanded.
One of the most unusual things for me was the heavily laden pomegranate tree. The backyard kitchen garden added a nice authenticity.