“Not impressed with the food”
Review of Steak 'n Shake

Steak 'n Shake
Ranked #33 of 57 Restaurants in Madison
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This was my first visit to a Steak & Shake, and I've heard a lot of positive things about the chain from my children. I will say that I was very positive about finally dining in a Steak & Shake. I found this location to be very convenient just off I-20. The parking lot is spacious and well maintained. This particular restaurant is fairly new but it's pretty evident that the chain and management pay a great deal of attention to appearance.

It was a pleasant surprise to be greeted by a hostess and to be seated in a roomy booth. This is quite unusual for a fast food type restaurant. Although we were dining at peak time, I never felt that the service was lacking. The waitress, hostess, and other personnel were neat looking, professionally dressed, and very friendly.

All this being said, lets' talk food. I guess I was expecting a glorified fast food experience based on appearances and perhaps something along the lines of a Red Robin, but I found the entrees to be meager looking at best. The fries in particular were just pitiful in appearance. It's really disappointing to have such high hopes and when you see the first plate of food you just stare and say to yourself, "is this all it is to this place?"

In my opinion you can get a better burger at Hardees or McDs. Most any fast food restaurant has better fries. Now to the "shake" part of the experience. Once again not impressed. Average or below average at best. Doesn't hold a candle to DQ as a comparison.

The restaurant was clean, the experience was pleasant, but the meal was disappointing at best. It wasn't bad, just below average for a fast food restaurant. For 4 adult meals, a cheese sandwich, & 4 shakes the total ticket was $42.50. I felt this was a bit high especially for the quality of the food. Since this is a full service restaurant a tip is in order so add another $8 bringing the total to $53.48.

Will I ever visit another Shake & Bake? I won't say no, but I certainly will not make it a point to go to one. For a lot less money and better fast food, there are many better options. If I want a sit down full service fast food experience, then perhaps a visit in over the horizon.

Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

New location very convenient to I20 with easy access.
Very clean location, open 24 hours.
Good selection of under $4.00 meals, drinks extra.
Friendly waitress, slow to get refills though.
Would stop here again.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

Headed to the new addition to Madison’s culinary options on a Friday night. While it was quite busy, the wait was only about 15 minutes. After the wait, the service was pretty disappointing. It took forever to get our waitresses’ attention back after our drink order, then again with our hamburgers, and then again for the shakes. This place is popular because it is new but it definitely won't hold on to it unless they can actually manage their customer's needs.

Been to Steak 'n Shake? Share your experiences!