All reviewsquichetown restaurantget awaywalking distancehistoric buildinggas fireplacewonderful placehigh ceilingsboutique hotelrooms are spacioussmall towncontinental breakfastwonderful stayfresh fruitking bedbalconyrobes
Reviewed 22 December 2013

If you are looking for a good dose of southern charm and hospitality, look elsewhere. My business colleague and I checked in on a Wednesday evening and the surly front desk attendant greeted us with an efficient, "credit card and driver's license." She seemed like she wanted to be somewhere else and couldn't be bothered to welcome us. A friendly "hello" and "welcome" would have been too much for her. We were told the hotel was not full, but when I realized my room was on the side of the hotel facing the road and had considerable traffic noise, I asked if I could have a room on the side of the hotel facing the quiet park. "No." I was told. "There are no other rooms." It might not have made a difference because it turns out most of the noise in the hotel was coming from adjacent rooms. I believe Japanese rice paper might be all that separates the rooms, and the clatter of large dogs walking on the wood floor overhead (we were on the 2nd floor - there are residences on the 3rd floor - and they have dogs) kept me from getting to sleep. An odd clanging noise behind the bed of my colleague kept him awake all night (along with the dogs), and if you stay there, pray the party in an adjacent room does not snore. The breakfast was mediocre at best, but if we had needed anything it would have been hard to ask for since the breakfast room attendant apparently had some vitally important matter to tend to that required her to spend most of her time in the hallway, on her phone, texting through the matter. We were booked for two nights but checked out after the first. We felt getting a good night's sleep was more important than enjoying the quaintness of the inn. We travel to Madison often on business and will definitely opt to drive to the next town where there are other hotel options and see if we can't find some of that southern charm there.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank RoderickG754
Reviewed 12 December 2013

This was our first visit but definitely not our last! Unfortunately it was a very brief one night stay but we enjoyed every minute. Our room was beautifully decorated, very comfortable and spacious. We loved having the chairs by the fireplace. Linens, towels and toiletries were top quality. Breakfast was delicious!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 December 2013

The hotel, room, & staff were very nice. The breakfast was what you would get at a budget hotel. Very disappointing! Although I had made our reservation several months in advance for the Holiday Tour of Homes, the staff said they had no record of our reservation. Fortunately they had rooms available.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Susiefritts
Reviewed 7 December 2013

The James Madison Inn was great for a short mini-vacation, even if you live in the area, and we only live an hour away. We went to see the Holiday tour of homes. It is right in the center of town, with great antique shops and restaurants close by. A very large breakfast is included. The rooms were very comfortable with a sitting area and a balcony. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. It was like a home away from home.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Rooms were clean, comfortable and spacious with modern amenities - but don't come here expecting to watch <enter desired sporting event> comfortably since their flat screen TVs are the size of a shoe box. This is the place to be for either a romantic getaway or just to getaway from the daily grind.

Would have gotten a perfect score if this self-proclaimed B&B actually serve a decent breakfast. Don't get me wrong, it was edible but the spread was mediocre at best.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple