All reviews quiche town restaurant get away walking distance historic building gas fireplace wonderful place high ceilings boutique hotel rooms are spacious small town continental breakfast wonderful stay fresh fruit king bed balcony robes
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We went to the James Madison Inn for our 15th wedding anniversary and were very pleased with the wonderful accomadations and very friendly service. The rooms were beautiful and the fireplace, and chairs really set their rooms apart from other places we have stayed. We enjoyed a couples massage at the Spa right next door, and the food and shopping were a welcome experience we hope to enjoy again soon.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Julie H
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Following a difficult start, making our booking from the UK was initially quite challenging, but on our arrival we were pleased that we had persevered, The James Maddison is delightful. A beautifully appointed new building but displaying good old fashioned elegant charm. We were directed to a second floor room overlooking the park. Well presented with beautiful bed linen, a most welcome large gas fire and glorious double basin bathroom, don't be put off by a previous reviewers report on the glass doors! They're well frosted and look and work absolutely perfect! We were not troubled by either the noise of the train, in fact when you've listened to it a couple of times you accept it's part of the charm of the town, or noise from the road or park. I acknowledge that we did stay in Dec/Jan holiday period when it's probably quieter but having said that we did sleep with the balcony door open for fresh air! Similar to previous reviews, there was noise from the upstairs occupants, the clomping about on the above wooden floors not the best of design ideas! The wooden hallways are not really an issue, I think it's fair to expect most guests to be considerate when tooing and frooing from their rooms. There are no coffee making facilities or refrigerator, we put our bottled water out on the balcony to keep cool, but I can imagine in warmer weather this would not be viable, but there is coffee and tea making facilities downstairs along side a fridge so it's not really an issue. Moving on to the breakfast, well being critical yes it doesn't match up to expectations. The fruit offered is limited choice, and the morning I wanted to try the waffles the lady serving disappeared so there was no one to request them from! I don't recall bacon being available and personally I prefer my eggs poached rather than scrambled, but hey a change is as good as a rest.I must note that my husband really enjoyed the cinnamon bread. The Maddison would benefit from a few little tweaks and it could easily move into the excellent category.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 December 2013

If you are looking for a good dose of southern charm and hospitality, look elsewhere. My business colleague and I checked in on a Wednesday evening and the surly front desk attendant greeted us with an efficient, "credit card and driver's license." She seemed like she wanted to be somewhere else and couldn't be bothered to welcome us. A friendly "hello" and "welcome" would have been too much for her. We were told the hotel was not full, but when I realized my room was on the side of the hotel facing the road and had considerable traffic noise, I asked if I could have a room on the side of the hotel facing the quiet park. "No." I was told. "There are no other rooms." It might not have made a difference because it turns out most of the noise in the hotel was coming from adjacent rooms. I believe Japanese rice paper might be all that separates the rooms, and the clatter of large dogs walking on the wood floor overhead (we were on the 2nd floor - there are residences on the 3rd floor - and they have dogs) kept me from getting to sleep. An odd clanging noise behind the bed of my colleague kept him awake all night (along with the dogs), and if you stay there, pray the party in an adjacent room does not snore. The breakfast was mediocre at best, but if we had needed anything it would have been hard to ask for since the breakfast room attendant apparently had some vitally important matter to tend to that required her to spend most of her time in the hallway, on her phone, texting through the matter. We were booked for two nights but checked out after the first. We felt getting a good night's sleep was more important than enjoying the quaintness of the inn. We travel to Madison often on business and will definitely opt to drive to the next town where there are other hotel options and see if we can't find some of that southern charm there.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank RoderickG754
Reviewed 12 December 2013

This was our first visit but definitely not our last! Unfortunately it was a very brief one night stay but we enjoyed every minute. Our room was beautifully decorated, very comfortable and spacious. We loved having the chairs by the fireplace. Linens, towels and toiletries were top quality. Breakfast was delicious!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 December 2013

The hotel, room, & staff were very nice. The breakfast was what you would get at a budget hotel. Very disappointing! Although I had made our reservation several months in advance for the Holiday Tour of Homes, the staff said they had no record of our reservation. Fortunately they had rooms available.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple