“Hmmm...”

Dining options: Seating, Takeout
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Hmmm...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

I'll start this review by saying that I live thisclose to another cupcake wars winner and this does not even compare. Had a red velvet cupcake that was dry and tasted day old (at least) with a weird consistency to its frosting. I can't understand the winning of the show and can't really recommend this place...

Charlotte, NC
“Great cupcakes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

They have some interesting flavors and some choices that are light and not too sweet. The cheesecake cupcake with cream cheese frosting is my favorite.

Visited July 2013
“So, so...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013 via mobile

Drive here to try after reading as the "best of Cobb" not at all impressed. Cake were dry in parts for both flavors tried. Also too pricey!

El Mirage, Arizona
“Horrid”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2013

How the cupcakes from this place ever won on Cupcake Wars I will never know. They are disgusting lumps of goo. Overly sweet, and those " flavors" you cant taste. We spent $36.00 on a dozen of these, all different flavors and none of them were edible after one bite. The texture of the cupcake is too dense, not light at all and definitely not cake like.
I will never buy from here again,

• Visited May 2012
north GA
“Not at all impressed with my first visit to Miss Mamie's”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2012

We had first seen Miss Mamie's as we drove through downtown Marietta. There was a huge banner out front telling about their upcoming appearance on Cupcake Wars. We watched the ep and were impressed. I was down in Marietta today and decided to stop in.

The shop appearance & decor are really cute. It's pretty crowded as you walk in. On the right is a table w/a cake album, on the left is the huge display they won CW with on a platform and beside the platform was a vintage looking wooden highchair. (Is this for customer use? Decor? Just to make the already small entranceway more cluttered?!)

I had already picked out the 3 flavors I wanted so my order was pretty simple. There was a family in front of me though so I got to see the not-great cust svc in action. The girl handling orders had a very heavy accent. She barely spoke (part of the cust svc problem since the fam had several questions) and it sounded French. Maybe that's the reason for the random French phrases scattered around the shop. There were nuts on some of the red velvet cupcakes and the mom asked if they were walnuts. 1st answer - just a stare. She asked again. 2nd answer - 'Yes, those are nuts.' Third time. 3rd answer - 'They're sugar coated nuts.' The mom huffed and just got a choc/pb cupcake.

As they were paying, I got a better look at the cupcakes themselves. It didn't excite me. The majority of the frostings were sliding off or just not put on well to begin with. Almost every display plate had one cupcake that looked like it'd been slapped and fell over.

I was also disappointed to see that these cupcakes were the same size I make in my own kitchen - while still being the gourmet price as Gigi's oversized cupcakes. And what's really 'gourmet' about Miss Mamie's offerings? Red velvet, choc/pb, yellow cake (the actual name on the placard)... those are just regular flavors. The closest to gourmet were Guinness and lemon coconut and that's really stretching the definition of the word.
I bought lemon coconut, carrot and sweet potato. The l.c. was the best but not great. The "coconut" cake just tasted like white cake (good white cake though) and the lemon curd was so mild it was nearly pointless. If not for the shredded coconut on top, I'd have never known coconut was there. The carrot was not bad but nothing special either. Just seemed to be shredded carrot in spice cake. The sweet potato was not good. The cake had a slight metallic, bitter flavor and was so dense it was more muffin than cake.

The frostings.... Yuck. Seriously, just... yuck. Just walking to my car, the frosting had slid off all three cupcakes. Slimy, oozy, heavy tasting. All had cream cheese frosting which won't have the crunch of buttercream but should NOT be so soft and smooshy either. Plus, there was a very unpleasant coating left in my mouth as if they had used lard/shortening in a cream cheese frosting. Very weird. Like most kids, my toddler loves frosting. He took one bite of the cream cheese from the carrot cupcake, spit it out and then wouldn't even try the other ones.

We all know they win 10k on CW. Some of that should've been spent on better cupcake carriers. Cheap, clear plastic holders that are too big to keep my cupcake from falling over as the clerk hands it to me - not a good impression.

All in all, I found nothing gourmet or upscale about Miss Mamie's cupcakes and I doubt very seriously I would ever go back.

• Visited November 2012