“Great location for family wedding”
Review of Stanley House Inn

Stanley House Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Marietta B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 May 2014

This location was a perfect fit for my daughter's wedding in October 2013. Grandparents, parents, and some bridal party members stayed at the Stanley Mansion for the weekend as we were coming from out of town. It was so much better to be on the property beforehand for the rehearsal,dressing for the wedding, during the ceremony and the next morning. The grandparents did not have to drive around Atlanta looking for parking, we had access to our rooms for extra guests arriving early or helping with the wedding setup. There was plenty of room for visiting and food/beverage storage. We had a number of out of town guests who stayed at the local hotels recommended by Meg and the one that provided a shuttle to/from the Inn was a big hit with guests. It's an easy walk to the Marietta Square where the rehearsal dinner was located. We totally appreciated Meg's calmness and taking care of the details and my daughter had a wedding she, her husband, friends and family enjoyed. Meg's husband was the bartender and he was unruffled also. If you are looking for an extremely upscale, fancy place, The Stanley Mansion may not be for you. We found what we wanted...a place with personality and charm that we could stay comfortably with extended family and celebrate with a lively, memorable wedding that included children, young adults, and grandparents.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank LovetoTravel34711

Reviewed 6 May 2014

For our wedding night, I made reservations online through their website for the most expensive room, the Savannah. My husband is a police officer and we have children and busy schedules so that only allowed for a simple wedding, and a short stay somewhere for our wedding night. This Savannah room we booked was advertised on their site as being the largest room with a gorgeous clawfoot tub, a vintage bridal gown on display, etc., etc. After our online reservation was confirmed, we were told there was a wedding booked for that same evening at the inn. We figured, okay, we'll be fine with it since it was kind of last minute. We had everything in place for our wedding ceremony in Athens and then arrive at the inn in Marietta, dinner reservations, a show. Well, we arrived at the inn at about 5:30ish to be shown to our room. We waited downstairs to find someone to check in and then when we finally did find someone, we were rushed through the house for a 2 second tour and then rushed into our room. I soon realized this was not our room that had been reserved online. It was the Buckhead - much smaller, tiny stand up shower and toilet area...with a sink OUTSIDE the bathroom area behind a moveable screen, cheap toiletries and dusty looking bedding and linens. I was disappointed but didn't want to ruin our wedding night b/c everything had been perfect up to that point. Additionally, when we walked down the hall to our room, I noticed that they were using the room we actually reserved, for the bride of that wedding to get ready in! :-(((( So either way, I guess we were not going to get the room we paid for. We were not offered a discount for the inconvenience of not letting us know about the wedding at the time of booking, nor did they even notice that the room they gave me was the cheaper, less expensive room than the one I paid FULL PRICE for. We received no apologies whatsoever, no discounts, etc. We couldn't even tour the grounds or take any pictures around there because of the wedding. Lastly, we were told that they'd put out a "very nice continental breakfast" for us since we had to leave early the next morning...sadly, that consisted of spongy bagels, prepackaged cereal, nutrigrain bars, and biscotti (all the stuff you buy at Sam's Club basically...nothing special at all). We were also instructed on how to make our own coffee for the next morning. No one was there in the morning when we left. It was just like being at home...everything was do it yourself. We should've just stayed home and had breakfast somewhere the next morning. EXPENSIVE mistake for our wedding night. NOT recommended...pick a hotel.

Room Tip: Pick a hotel or stay home.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank PaulnGrace77
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Meg and Joseph are the perfect hosts. They welcomed us and seemed just as excited as we were to be there. We stayed 3 nights and by the time we left I felt like I was leaving family.
The home itself is beautiful inside and out. Tastefully decorated and comfy.We stayed in the Alpharetta room which is in the "turret" of the wonderful home.
I was able to witness the attention to detail in Meg and Joseph's preparation for a wedding to be held the Saturday we were there. Rather than "encourage" us to be absent during the festivities, they assured us we would not be in the way or unwelcome to go to our room. In fact they left us slices of the bride's cake in our room!
The one breakfast we got to eat - due to our scheduling not their's - was prepared by Suzi and delicious. Meg did leave us a parting snack on Sunday - oh my! Pastry to die for!
We had a wonderful time, in large part to Meg and Joseph. We will be back for sure!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shawntel O
Reviewed 26 February 2014

The Stanley House, often used as a venue for weddings, exudes an aura of love -- perfect for a mid-February get away! ❤️

My husband and I enjoyed our first stay in this stately b&b so much that we came back for a second stay a few weeks later. We chose the turret room both times. It made me feel like a princess!

I'm told there is a terrific breakfast during the weekend and look forward to sampling that during a future visit but I can say that the weekday Continental spread is quite
varied and filling. (I took a pic and will add it to this review if I'm able.)

Afternoon tea included treats which changed daily. The innkeeper, Megan, suggested I take one of her delicious homemade chocolate chip cookies upstairs for my husband. Which I did. Sorta. Well, I took one - my husband just didn't see it. Turns out Megan is a gifted baker as well as a friendly woman.

Trains pass through this quaint town and I feel nostalgic when I hear their whistles. I can't tell you whether or not they rumble by during the night though -- I was fast asleep in my big, comfy bed! (So high, I might add, that I had to use stairs to get into it.)

Much of the downstairs is set up with round tables wearing their wedding garb. There is also soft music playing. You might want to sneak down with your honey during the evening hours and dance by the fireplace. I did.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Chris Z
Reviewed 9 September 2013

My husband and I recently stayed for three days at the lovely, historic Stanley House Inn while visiting family in Marietta. We were warmly welcomed and felt downright pampered by our Stanley House hosts, Meg and Joseph. The Stanley House staff provides the best in B & B hospitality -- a spotless home beautifully furnished and decorated, comfortable beds, luscious breakfasts, and helpful information about the area. The Inn caters weddings which I think contributes to its atmosphere of light and joy. If a wedding takes place during your stay, as it did ours, Meg is sure to save you a piece of wedding cake to share in the couples' happiness. For a feeling of belonging, for the experience of living in a fine old home, for enjoying delicious creative breakfasts, all within easy walking distance of Marietta's vibrant downtown square, I wholeheartedly recommend the Stanley House Inn. For my husband it is a train-lovers' paradise. We can hardly wait to return.
JGM

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Janice M
Reviewed 30 June 2013

My wife and I recently stayed three nights at the Stanley House and we are thrilled to have discovered this warm, hospitable, historic B&B just a few blocks from the Marietta Square. The Inn Keepers, Meg and Joseph, were attentive to our every need and the three breakfasts we experienced were each fabulous and unique. There is a wonderful choice of rooms, all tastefully decorated in period styles of historic Marietta. When ever we get back to the Marietta area the Stanley House will be our home and we are already recommending this B&B to our friends. We consider Meg and Joseph as new friends in Marietta and we know many other travelers have discovered the caring, authentic couple they are.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jerry R
Reviewed 19 June 2013

My husband and I stayed here over night for a small anniversary get away. When we pulled up to the place we immediately felt welcomed. We went up stairs to meet the inn keeper and as we entered the home we were both taken back by the magnificent designs and details of The Stanley Inn. There was a sense of comfort and " this is exactly where you are supposed to be" feeling. We met the Inn keeper Meg and her husband who were both extremely nice and welcoming. We were allowed to tour the home on our own, which we took advantage of, and they showed us to our room. Our room was the last room on the right and it was perfect. Very clean and they also had these nice home made pastries waiting for us on our dresser as a little welcome gift. The house smelled of lavender through out the entire home and it really put us in a great mood as we adventured off into the different parts of the house to explore its beauty. We were alone in the house durring the night and were allowed to play music they use durring their wedding partys so we put on some nice piano music and danced across the dinning room. It was peacful relaxing and we both felt as if we had traveled back in time. When we woke up the next morning the Innkeepers were there and prepaired a delicious breakfast. They had everything beautifully set up on the formal dinning room table as if we were the guest of honor at the governor's home. I can go on and on about our experience but you would truly have to go and experience it yourself. Treat the home with love and respect and it has its way of returning your admiration.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple