“Give this one a pass”

Holiday Inn Express Marietta-Atlanta Northwest
Ranked #4 of 34 Hotels in Marietta
Reviewed 14 December 2013

We are all seasoned travellers. On this particular trip, we stayed at four different hotels. Two were Holiday Inn Expresses, one a Crowne Plaza and one was a Fairfield Inn. We had great experiences at the other three but this one was most disappointing. In fact, this one also cost $30 more for the night than the most expensive of the other three. The toilet in our room was loose on the floor so, when using it, it felt like there was an earthquake going on as your throne floated this way and that, The spout in the bathroom was also not attahced to the wall and there was at least a half inch gap between the spout and the wall. There was no night table or lamp on one side of the bed which meant that I had to get out of bed to turn off the light and to put my glasses and book down somewhere else. Scruffy and ill-equipped is the best way to describe the room. Our friends across the hall turned on the heat in their room and immediately after, a strong burning smell filled the room causing our friend to spend the night coughing and feeling ill. The usual Holiday Inn Express breakfast was on offer but the pancake machine was out of order (no big deal usually but another bit of frustration). On exiting the hotel, I tried to go out the back door (marked as a fire door as well as a regular exit to the back of the building where our car was parked) and found the door solidly closed (not sure if it was locked or just very stiff - but this could definitely pose a problem in an emergency.) I had to go all the way around the building to get to the car. Front desk staff were helpful and friendly, however, when our friend and I complained about the issues in our rooms, the clerk stated that a number of people who had stayed on our floor had complained about the same issues and assured us that when the manager arrived, a reduction in our rate would be applied for the inconvenience we experienced. As you might imagine, that was the last we heard from the hotel. No compensation whatsoever was forthcoming. My recommendation would be that you drive another few miles and find another hotel.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marilyn L
HolidayInnATL, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Marietta-Atlanta Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Thank you, Marilyn L for your review and your concerns. We appreciate any and all feedback as it only helps us to improve. I would like to find out some more information regarding your stay. It is difficult for me to look up information without having exact dates. I do want to touch on the exit doors in the hotel. The side doors are key accessed going in and out, however in the case of an emergency, they are on a magnet and the magnet releases. That closes the doors to the elevator and opens the remaining doors. Again, I would love to speak to you directly. The phone number to the hotel is 770-989-0071 or you can contact me via email at hiexpress.reservation@gmail.com . Thank you for staying with us and I do hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

I have been staying here on and off over the past month and the staff at this Holiday Inn is incredibly accommodating and attentive to every detail. Tim, who works at night, would even have a cart sitting at my door every morning so that I would not have to come down and get one. If you have the time while eating breakfast, take a minute to get to know Tim. He is an incredible person to learn about. Elizabeth made sure that anything my crew or I needed was taken care of immediately. She even made us some cookies in the evenings. Folks I travel extensive all year and this hotel by far ranks with the best of all hotels I have ever stayed at! The cleanliness is absolute. These young ladies scrub every room every time. Just stand back and watch how hard those women work!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Jay D
It was a pleasure having you become part of our Holiday Inn Express family! Thank you so much for your extremely kind words regarding our staff and I promise to relay the message to everyone. While most people are sleeping, Tim and our other night auditors are hard at work. They truly enjoy hearing kind words such as yours! Housekeeping can sometimes be overlooked unless something is wrong so THANK YOU for acknowledging their hard work. We hope you see you again soon but if not, safe travels!

Reviewed 20 November 2013

stay was wonderful. debie at the front counter was friendly and great dealing with check in issue. continental breckfast was great. i would stay here again. the stay makes me want to stay at holiday inns on future trips.

• Stayed: November 2013
HolidayInnATL, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Marietta-Atlanta Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

What a great review! Thank you so much for your kind words about Debbie! We love to hear when guests want to join our IHG family and we can’t wait to see you again soon!

Reviewed 15 November 2013

The staff is great..Will definitely be staying with holiday inn express again.. rooms were very clean beds are very comfortable just like staying at my own home and food was great..staff was friendly and accommodating and hotel is in a good location..

• Stayed: November 2013
HolidayInnATL, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Marietta-Atlanta Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Thank you so much, jessketchum85! What a wonderful compliment, your promise to return. We are delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful encounter with our staff members and that you enjoyed the beds and breakfast so much. Thank you again and we can't wait to see you soon!

Reviewed 14 November 2013

I had a non-cancellable reservation for this hotel which was cancelled by the hotel manager only after he charged my credit card in full and sold the room to another guest. Do yourself a favor and stay at any of the nearby hotels which offer the same amenities for considerably less.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Johnboy M

Thank you for writing in with your concerns, johnboy M. All reservations can be cancelled however some may have penalties that apply. The particular reservation you booked with us, was one of those reservations that had restrictions. Your card was charged at time of booking as the reservation states. Upon making the phone call to cancel, I believe there was a misunderstanding and I do apologize about that. We were under the impression that you still wished to cancel and so we did. Upon your arrival, we offered to accommodate you with a room with two beds, which you declined. If you have any further concerns or questions, please feel free to contact the hotel directly at 770-989-0071. We do hope that when back in town, you would stop by to give us a second chance.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Debble and maria were perfect with us . We enjoyed staying at this hotel around 3 weeks . The breakfast was awesome and it has a very good internet connection very fast . So as a summary the hotel was awesome

• Stayed: November 2013
HolidayInnATL, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Marietta-Atlanta Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2013

What a great review! Thank you so much for making us your home away from home, and we are excited to hear that Debbie and Maria were able to make a difference during your stay. We hope to be seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 9 November 2013

Top grade customer service. Rooms that have been upgraded from years past are comfortable & spacious. Complimentary breakfast served @ 06:00 is earlier than many hotels & is appreciated. I recommend this location.

Thanks to Debbie & Maria at the counter, very professional & friendly.

A. Moore

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
HolidayInnATL, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Marietta-Atlanta Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Thank you, amoore2254, for a great review! I will definitely relay your gratitude to Debbie and Maria, as they will be delighted to hear that they made an impact on your stay! We love hearing that you will be recommending us and we look forward to your future visits.