“My room smelled of smoke”

Holiday Inn Express Marietta-Atlanta Northwest
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Marietta
Brunswick, GA
“My room smelled of smoke”
Reviewed 3 March 2011

Let me begin with the point that I did not get to the hotel until 1:30AM. When I got to my room, I was ready to sleep. The room smelled of smoke in a smokefree hotel. I did not want to travel down 4 stories and needed to sleep. I did just that. I woke up in the morning (a Tuesday) to have a good breakfast like many Holiday Inn Expresses have. There was biscuits and no gravy. There was absolutely NO fruit at all. I asked about these items and I was told an excuse that they ran out and had not received any shipments. I then informed the desk clerk about the horrible condition of the room and that the smoke detector was cover in a plastic bag. He was sympathetic and apologized.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed 11 November 2010

If all you need is a place to sleep before getting back on the highway, Holiday Inn Express Marietta serves its purpose. It is like any other Holiday Inn . The moderately priced hotel offers perks like free wireless and high-speed Internet connections. The fitness center is pretty good

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank atra_gh
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 6 April 2010

All staff were very helpful and flexible. Hotel very clean. Great power/Internet setup in the room for working at the desk.

However, the physical design of the hotel is not great. My room was quite large, yet had a small and very awkward bathroom. Annoyingly, the shower curtain was just barely long enough to touch the top of the tub. Had to be careful to not leak water all over the bathroom.

The HVAC unit in the room could barely cool the room enough. I stayed in April; can't imagine it trying to cool the room in a classic Southern heatwave. It was also quite loud.

Bed was firmer than typical in a Holiday Inn Express, somewhat uncomfortable. One of the brand standards is to label "firm" and "soft" pillows - but they seemed to be randomly labeled in this room.

Each floor of the hotel is one long hallway. I stayed on the end, right by the elevator. Poor choice. Could clearly hear the elevator.

Hotel was very busy with many families (Easter holiday week). The breakfast attendant was overwhelmed trying to feed everyone and apparently chose to not put out a hot egg dish. I definitely missed it.

Given all of that, I might try this hotel again when in the area. It seems as though many of the issues I had could have been because of that particular weekend and that particular room. The staff really are excellent and the hotel is very clean.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 8 March 2010

My Fiancee and I were on our way back from Florida and needed a place to stop and stay on the way. She went in to see if there were any rooms and I parked the car. While I am not the jealous type, I found the front clerk hitting on her in front of me a little rude (he asked her for her phone number right in front of me, lol). Fortunatly, I was tired, and she told him just to give us the [--] room key so we could get to sleep (thats my girl). For 109 we got a king suite on the 5th floor. It was extremely comfortable and was in a good position to I-75. Ultimatly I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
New Castle Delaware
Reviewed 22 January 2010

Has great breakfast very convinient location and find the staff at the hotel very helpful and friendly. Internet was very fast at this hotel. Check in was no line and i would definatly recommend this hotel to all in my company

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Mike14845
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 24 March 2008

Stayed at the Wingate Marietta for 1 night in March 2008. I checked in after checking out of a horrible hotel across the street. They quoted me a very high rate, but I just wanted to get away from the other hotel. Wingates tend to be great, and this hotel didn't disappoint. Yeah, it's a little rough around the edges with the rooms showing some wear and tear, but overall it was a great stay. My room was huge and welcoming. Everything was spotless, including the bathroom. I loved the spa, fitness center, and business center. My room was absolutely quiet the entire night. There is plenty of free parking and the neighborhood is extremely safe. There was a wonderful hot breakfast served in the spacious lobby. You are seconds from the freeway entrance, and can walk/drive to several good restaurants. The staff were friendly and helpful. I would stay here if I'm in the area again. I wish the rate wasn't so high (about $107 with tax) but I booked last minute so I guess it was expected. Please email if you have any questions!!

• Liked — Clean, convenient, great breakfast, fitness and business center, friendly staff.
  • Disliked — A bit expensive to me.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank JenPerna
Englewood, Florida
Reviewed 30 December 2007

We have stayed at other Wingates and loved them. This one simply didn't measure up. The desk people seemed clueless when you asked questions. Our back door key didn't work and since you needed that to get into the building, that was a problem. No cookies like other Wingates. The breakfast wasn't ready on time--it had to be at least 15 minutes late before everything was ready. The place itself looked a little down at the heels compared to others. A disappointment. It was clean so we were happy about that.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — late or poor service
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)