“Good experience, good service, sports bar food”

Pickle Barrell Cafe & Sports Pub
Ranked #13 of 97 Restaurants in Milledgeville
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Ate there 8/14. Right on main drag with plenty of shopping center parking. Restaurant was recommended by our hotel clerk, but we were forewarned that it was a wings, burger and beer type of sports bar that everyone in town thought was good. So we went and were not disappointed.

There was adequate seating when we got there around 5pm, but think it would be tight seating and rowdy on a "game day". There were lots of TVs hanging on the wall tuned to various sports channels.

Service was great. The menu was pretty much as expected: Wings, hot dogs, burgers and sandwiches. And of course plenty of beer. Prices were reasonable. I had a slaw dog, an order of wings and several beers. Wife had a fried shrimp and chicken basket. The food was pretty good for pub food.

All in all, it was not a gourmet dinner, but food, service, the environment and the experience were good.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Very Clean Sports Bar. has adequate TVs and comfortable seating. We sat at the bar and watched the Detroit Lions 4PM game on the large screen with sound. Bartender was very accommadating and service was great. We will go there again during Football season and hopefully be treated the same as this past visit. Had a good time and BTW, the food was good also.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

I tend to be a little reluctant to eat evening meals at a "sports bar" since they tend to be loud, focused on drinking, and the food is often, as Chef Ramsay calls it, "ding-ding food" (from a microwave. I'm sorry I hesitated - the food was actually tremendous, the service (even when the place was busy) was excellent, and the place had much more a family restaurant feel.

I've looked at the other comments and perhaps they hit the place at a bad time (I went there three evenings while on business - so I have seen it under a variety of circumstances). The home-made chips were not at all greasy. The side Greek salad is huge. The pasta salad is smaller, but still a reasonable side size.

The sour dough bread was great all three times - never stale. Of course, sour dough is a firmer bread, so perhaps that causes some people concern. They do have other bread choices. The sandwiches were always huge.

The beer selection is good; and always at a good, cold temperature.

Staff is attentive, but never overwhelming.

This place should be on your list.

Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

I went there with a buddy to watch a hockey game. The bartender Carolina was very nice and accommodating. Although new she handled the busy bar very well. My friend ordered the Italian Hoagie and the bread was dry and the sandwich didn't taste fresh. I ordered the Buffalo Chicken Philly and it was a chicken sandwich. It only had cheese and chicken and buffalo sauce. My Philly was missing the peppers, onions and mushrooms. We both had the fries and they were like eating cardboard. There was no seasoning to the beer batter and we're very bland. While sitting at the bar and eating the cooks were screaming lyrics from songs. Usually I wouldn't care but when it f*** and b**** loud enough for the entire place to hear while kids are present is a little unprofessional. The manager didn't even say anything to the cooks but yet made the bartender pay for a beer she dumped because it was flat! I wouldn't waste my time going here.

Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Their menu is pretty varied with wings, wraps, etc, and overall it's pretty good. They do have a lot of fried items which sometimes seem too greasy to me but doesn't bother my wife. Have eaten there many times and the service has always been good. Service at the bar has been good as well. It's a rather small place so there can be a wait for a table.