“Amazing hotel with the best staff”

Aghadoe Heights Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Aghadoe
Charleston, South Carolina
“Amazing hotel with the best staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2013

I recently visited Aghadoe Heights for the second time on a short holiday last week. This hotel never disappoints and is one of my favorite places to visit! The lake facing suites are fabulous and the views are just stunning. The decor is inviting, the linens on the bed I must say are the best I've experienced in Ireland, the bathroom very spacious and again...the views! The staff here are just incredible as well. From the front desk to the management team to the wait staff, they couldn't be friendlier, more accommodating and pleasant. You can tell they enjoy working here and providing top class service. The breakfast is lovely and I love the Heights Lounge to sit and relax or enjoy a cocktail or coffee while overlooking the lakes. Simply put, their spa is amazing. Book Rita for a treatment and you will not be disappointed! All in all, a fabulous property and one I will no doubt continue to visit on trips to Ireland.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
Cork
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2013

We've stayed in Killarney a number of times but we've never driven up to Aghadoe. The view when you first drive up to the hotel is breathtaking! The hotel is lovely and the staff can't do enough for you. We booked through an Axa Leisure break so got a very good deal- not sure I'd be willing to pay the full price.

We had a lovely big room on the ground floor with a lovely view- we weren't expecting this seeing as it was a special offer. The room was a tiny bit dated and the tv was about 20years old and not very many channels. Also there was no kettle in the room- they do offer to bring tea/coffee to your room but it's so much easier to just have the facilities there. The bathroom was huge and the shower was lovely- very powerful.

We ate in the Lake Room one night and the food was outstanding- they also marked my birthday with some chocolates at the end which was nice. The Heights Lounge is also lovely- if a bit small. They do fabulous cocktails! We were there Easter weekend which was really busy so we were luck to get a seat in the bar. Breakfast was nice too- although very noisy. We were there Easter weekend and understandably there were a lot of families there- think next time I'd avoid school holidays. They did seem to cater well for children though.

If you're interested in a spa treatment you should enquire re any special offers for guests. We got a 30 min massage for €50 each which wasn't bad. I do think it's bad form to charge guests €25 to use the spa area (use is included in the price of a treatment) We've stayed in 2 other hotels in the area with thermal suites which guests could avail of free of charge which were far superior. Maybe I didn't read things properly but I assumed it would be similar. However there is no thermal pool in the spa area- just a few steam rooms and a sauna and a few beds to lie on- would've been fuming if I'd paid €25 for that. But the massages were incredible and the relaxation area afterwards is lovely- one of the highlights of the weekend.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and would def go back.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
derry
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013

We stayed here last week on an overnight conference with our Company. The meeting was held in the penthouse, which was amazing. Catering was all perfect during the day and my dietary requests were met without fuss.

Dinner in the evening was one of the best meals I have had in a while with a lovely pianist playing in the background.

The room was well appointed, spacious and clean with an amazing view of the lakes through the floor to ceiling windows.

It was my first visit and I will definitely return with the better half in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view room
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

We stayed in this hotel recently for our 10yr anniversary. The hotel was very pleasent but I just couldnt help feeling a small bit disapointed. When I first saw the outside of the hotel I was very concerned as its not an atractive building, however once you get into the reception it makes up for it.
I was disapointed that there no mention of our anniversary on arrival nor was there any chocs or even a card in our room. In other hotels we've stayed in for our aniversary we have always had something on our arrival to this effect (I notified the hotel of our anniversary when booking). Naturally this was a bad start and you dont want to be disapointed within the first 10 minutes of your stay. We stayed in a Garden Side Studio and again felt a bit deflated, the room didn't seem any bigger than the junior suite, the "fully stocked mini bar" was empty, the DVD player was missing and there was a tear in the curtains. The channels on the TV were poor and given this was a 5 star I would have expected premium channels to be available.
The Heights Lounge was nice and pleseant but reletively small. You may not be able to get a seat if you come in at the wrong time (because the other bar may be closed). On the second night we didn't want to go back to the lounge but the Terrace Bar was closed (Saturday night!) so we had no choice. I personally found it a bit much for two consecutive nights.
The food in both the Heights Lounge and the Lake Room was fantastic however I was disapointed with breakfast.
The Spa is nice but I think its cheeky to ask residents to pay €25 to use the saunas after 10am.
Overall staff were friendly, the hotel is nice and the food is excellent. But its not a 5 star experience I'm afraid. I dont think I would retrun which is a shame because I was looking forward to it. Its the small things that count!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2013

This is not a five star hotel no matter how much they try. The staff are very friendly I have to say and the service is very good but there are problems. Some small things like dated tvs in the rooms, no tea/coffee making facilities in the room. Things like that I'd get over. My gripe is that I'm staying here for a weekend with my wife. She is off having a Spa treatment while I'm left to myself. That should be no bother, pop down to the bar and have a few pints while watching the soccer on the tv. But that bar is closed. I could go to the Lake view bar and listen to a piano player but I've no interest in that on my own. The bar with the tv was also closed on the Saturday evening so I couldn't watch the Master's golf. The final round of the golf is on tonight and if I have to watch it in the room I won't be happy. Not exactly pampering to the guests needs. 4 stars at best.

• Stayed April 2013
Cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2013

We had a wonderful stay here recently. The staff are wonderful, so welcoming and friendly and genuinely interested in every guest.

The spa was really peaceful and relaxing, room was large and comfortable and the food was very good. Irish hospitality at its best. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

We enjoyed our stay in Aghadoe. the room was excellent - a lake facing suite - and the front desk staff were very courteous and welcoming.
The upstairs bar though was very disappointing in terms of service. There was one barman who was so slow with our order on a number of occasions that we almost gave up.
The breakfast room is wonderful with excellent views. The full Irish could be better with better cooking. Overall it was a disappointment. Also the lady in charge of the breakfast room was overly talkative and could not get the balance between good service and leaving you to enjoy your breakfast.
The Spa was wonderful and the hot stone massageis a must. Overall, 7 out of 10!!

Room Tip: The lakeside rooms are best.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aghadoe
The Europe Hotel & Resort
The Malton Hotel
The Malton Hotel
#14 of 39 in Killarney
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,062 reviews

Been to Aghadoe Heights Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!