“Out of this world”

Aghadoe Heights Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Aghadoe
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My husband and I have just returned from an amazing 2 night stay in Aghadoe Heights. My expectations were high prior to arrival and I have to say it completely lived up to it.
From the welcome at check in, to the helpful concierge and the impeccable service in the bar and restaurant I must say, it's a hotel I will definitely return to.
The service was second to none and I can honestly say that the staff could not be more kind, welcoming or attentive.
The views from our room, the bar and the restaurant are breath taking.
I did spend one morning in the hotel spa which is was not enough, it is beautiful, relaxing and so luxurious I may just have to return soon!!
The hotel is slightly on the more expensive side, but having stayed in several 5 star hotels around the world this is definitely worth it.
It is without doubt the nicest and most welcoming hotel we have ever visited.

• Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank Finnbee30

Reviewed 8 August 2014

We had 2 rooms in late June, both overlooking the lakes and countryside. When the staff opened to doors to show us our rooms we actually gasped, the views are breathtaking! We had spacious balconies to sit, enjoy those great views and have a glass of wine as the sun went down, perfect. The restaurants are great, breakfast was varied and everybody got a great selection, including the vegetarian in the group. The fine dining restaurant did not disappoint, the food is classically presented and the service was great. Our maitre'd had quite an impressive knowledge of wines so that was a big plus. Aghadoe also has a great spa in the hotel, be sure to take advantage of it, the staff are highly trained and the spa itself is beautifully designed with lovely relaxation areas not to mention the indoor pool. The staff are unfailingly polite and friendly. We borrowed bikes from the hotel and took in the Ring of Kerry, we also walked extensively and drove over to Dingle and Cahirciveen. This is the perfect base for tourism around the Kerry area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view - at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ucdgrad
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This was the second hotel on our 10 day trip and, honestly, I could have skipped Dublin and spent an extra few days here. Spend the money for a room overlooking the lake - it is worth it. This was one of the few hotel options with connecting rooms so the kids could have their own space but be connected to us. The food was excellent and the front desk was extremely helpful. The hotel is centrally located to everything you want to do on the Ring of Kerry. The Spa was fabulous and a true spa (instead of a few spa services thrown in as an after thought). The only areas where they could improve are the following: the TV in the rooms need updating and so does the shower (it was a fine shower with excellent water pressure but it was a bit small). The bathroom does have a separate tub which is lovely. You cannot walk to town from the hotel but there is a shuttle.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank EDufty
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Excellent hotel, as one can expect for a 5 star hotel. Big, beautiful and comfortable rooms. Very nice views of Killarney lakes. Excellent restaurant and breakfast. Excellent service. Nice pool and jacuzzi. Only thing to improve: the showers by the pool area (just one, without any amenities and not even in the same level as the pool). Killarney seemed like a cute place, with nice atmosphere and beautiful nature around (but one needs a car to reach the town from this hotel).

Room Tip: Lake view, third floor.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank merphile
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

I had such a great time. Everything was amazingly good from our arrival yo out departure. The hotel is situated in such a beautiful place, the views are breathtaking. Loved the hotel itself and spa. Very nice service and the food (both dinner and breakfast) was top notch. Will definitely come back.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ana F
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a holiday in Cork & Kerry to celebrate our 2nd wedding anniversary on 29th July 2014. We spent two nights at the Aghadoe and were lucky to have a room directly below the penthouse - what an amazing view, and the room was lovely too. All the staff in the hotel were friendly, polite and very informative. They simply couldn't do enough for us. Nothing was too much trouble. We ate in the upstairs bar on both evenings and were really surprised how good the food was, and that it was great value for money. Breakfast was also excellent. I had the best kippers I have ever tasted and the healthy egg white-only omelete also tasted wonderful. We highly recommend this hotel to everyone.

Room Tip: Lakeside View rooms have the best view, and the higher up the less the outside noise
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bernadett1960
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I was fortunate enough to go on a week long golf trip to Ireland with 7 other guys and we stayed at Aghadoe Heights outside Killarney. We were there from Sunday 7/27 through Friday 8/1. The entire trip was booked through Hidden Links by my father and they really hooked us up with an incredible vacation. The golf itself was spectacular and unlike anything I have experienced but this resort completed the trip and made for one of the best weeks.

The hotel staff at Aghadoe was by far the most accommodating, friendly, and professional group I have ever encountered. I have been very lucky to have been to some very nice vacation spots but this group trumped every one. We arrived around 12pm noon and only one room was ready. We were quickly greeted by Jason at the front, as well as a few other people who quickly offered us coffee or tea, and tagged our bags to store while they finished the rest of the rooms. They even allowed us to utilize other facilities, such as the spas, to shower and change before our first round on Sunday. Jason and his team up front took great care of us all week and made our stay at Aghadoe carefree and fun.

By the time we came back everything was ready and they prepared a table for dinner. Gerr and Kieran took exceptional care of us at dinner and were also very funny and witty. Our group was probably one of the more rowdy they have encountered recently and they had fun with it as well, which made for an enjoyable dinner and stay.

We frequented the bar in the hotel a lot. Steve, Gary and Maeve were the lucky ones to deal with us all week and they were outstanding. We went into Killarney a few nights but always ended up closing out the night at the hotel bar because we enjoyed the drinks and conversation with their bar staff. "Gin Brambles" are now my favorite drink and I think we ordered well over 100 during the week. The bar team is extremely knowledgeable about their product and educated us on the different aspects of Irish beer and whiskey. We also were directed to certain pubs in town to experience the best pint of shot of each. I would strongly recommend hanging out with their bar team and requesting a bramble or going into town and trying out their recommendations. (they shuttled us into town whenever we needed it which was great and taxis back are relatively cheap)

The hotel itself was very nice. The rooms were well appointed and much larger then your typical European hotel. (there is one standard American electric plug in each room which was an awesome feature) We had turn down service every night and the room was always clean. We were constantly being asked if we needed anything and it was much appreciated even if we did not require any service. The spa was very nice and almost everything was included in our stay except for massages and similar treatments. There is also a nice pool with an attached heated whirlpool. We came back late from a round of golf and they allowed us to swim for a little bit even after the pool was technically closed.

All in all, I cannot say enough about this hotel and its staff. I had an amazing week and I hope I can get back in the near future. If you have the choice of staying in Killarney or going a few minutes up the road to Aghadoe I would highly recommend doing it.

Thank you to this great group for making my first trip to Ireland a great one.

Room Tip: Request a room on a higher floor that overlooks the lake and Ross Castle at night. We stayed in 305...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Mike P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aghadoe
The Europe Hotel & Resort
#3 of 38 in Killarney
The Malton Hotel
The Malton Hotel
#16 of 38 in Killarney

Been to Aghadoe Heights Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!