“Still one of my favorite places but slipping"”

Aghadoe Heights Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Aghadoe
Dublin
“Still one of my favorite places but slipping"”
Reviewed 10 November 2009

I was here for a two night getaway with my partner, I had stayed in the hotel twice before so I knew what to expect. The lady who checked us is in was very friendly but landed me in it by welcoming me back when I had told my new lady friend that it was my "first time"!!
Anyway prior to arrival I had called the hotel to insure I had a good room. I inquired and agreed the price for double upgrade as to insure a good view and nice room.
I was annoyed when the room was on the wrong side of the hotel re view and the only thing that made the room any different to the regular room was a small wall dividing the storage and the door. Having previously staying in a regular room I felt ripped off. Serves me right for not just leaving well enough alone and just taking my chances.
I did mention it to reception on the way out and they insisted in giving me 30 euro. The upgrade cost 120. On Friday we dined in the restaurant. We arrived to a restaurant empty but for one table. Another couple. Our waiter sits us next to them. No music playing it was very awkward and uncomfortable. I would expect this maybe in a bistro style place or waggamamma but in a five star you would expect a higher attention to the finer details. The meal was very nice the desserts lovely. Five courses. I had the duck for my main dish which the waiter told me "chef cooks med rare". I had expected this as the last time I had dined my lady friend of the day when informed of this asked could she have it med well and waiter said no!!! So this time I did as I was told. Good thing I'm not as fussy as chef because he would have had two of his dishes sent back. The plate was cold for my main didn't really effect the dish but if I was being cheffie about it would have went back.
So all in all I still love this place we went to the thermal spa the next morning after our breakfast in bed. You can walk around the hotel in your robe and slippers it very chilled.
The view when you have one is amazing and the staff are great.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
Limerick
Reviewed 27 October 2009

We booked a package on the hotels website which included an upgrade to a lakeview suite and the room was superb. we did have a problem with a leak but there was no problem moving and they had everything ready in the new room before they moved us. We eat in the bar twice and it was excellent and he had a meal in the restaurant which was also excellent. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The view over the lakes from our room and the bar/restaurant is stunning. The only let down was the fitness centre, it is small but that wasn't a problem, there was no water in the room and the cross trainer and the rowing machine did not work. The pool is nice. We didn't use the Spa but friends of mine have and they were very impressed.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Cork
Reviewed 25 October 2009

My wife and I spent 2 nights recently at the Aghadoe Heights Hotel. This was a second visit for us and the product is excellent. However the experience was enhanced by the staff who were very courteous and I must single out the lady at reception named Marie. We had a small difficulty with our room on arrival - as soon as we brought it to Marie's attention she dealt with it superbly showing maturity and business 'cop on'. Well done Marie.
My wife has used the spa facilities before and rated them very highly and again they did not disappoint. I could go on and on suffice to say their are many 5 star products on the market for people seeking a relaxing break Agahadoe for me takes some beating and we are looking forward to getting back there as soon as we can.
Keep up the good work. 5

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Indiana
Reviewed 24 September 2009

We stayed at Aghadoe Heights Hotel & Spa during our honeymoon in Ireland. The hotel is absolutely amazing. From the moment they picked us up in Killarney, the service was well above anything we would've expected. Every need or request was taken care of for us without an ounce of hesitation from the staff (Brendan you were great!!!). It's like we didn't even need to think the entire time we were there! It was a true romantic retreat. That leads into the resort location and the spa...I don't think there is a better view of the lakes of Killarney then from Aghadoe Heights! The morning view of the fog on the lakes to the evening sunsets were absolutely amazing (granted...we had amazing weather while in Ireland!!!). The spa at the resort was another gem. It was absolutely the best spa I've been to. Our treatments were wonderful and the use of Aveda products throughout the entire resort is a big plus! The restaurant and lounge were great as well. The food was exceptional and so was the Irish coffee from the lounge! I would recommend Aghadoe Heights for a romantic retreat or even if you just love the outdoors. There are plenty of places to hike, explore or just enjoy the view!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
ireland
Reviewed 21 September 2009

As a treat this Summer and to iron out a few stress lines we decided to indulge ouurselves at the Aghadoe Heights. Some Spa treatments were booked and I went ahead of the rest of the family to relax and enjoy myself. To say it was a comedy of errors in the Aveda Spa would be an understatement!! The whole experience was ultra disappointing.
On discussion with management the charge for the "treatments" was removed, we felt that our treatment by senior management left a lot to be desired.
I believe that a five star experience should be just that, from the minute one walks in the door to the end of the stay nothing less should be expected. Don`t expect this at the Aghadoe Heights!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
New York
Reviewed 10 September 2009

We enjoyed a short stay at the Aghadoe Heights hotel, using it as a base to tour the local area. There is no doubt the hotel has much to recommend it, stunning views, good food and friendly (if uneven) service. The main reasons for my 3 rating are poor room quality and an overall impression that the hotel lacks the polish of a true 5 Star and charges too much for the product on offer. As an example of what I consider to be worthy of a 5 Star rating and pricing, the Ritz Carlton Powerscourt springs to mind.

Some of our group had a lakeside room and some had a suite with a lake view. There was a stark difference in the comfort of the rooms. The lakeside rooms were tired, outdated, with tatty bath mats and curtains and really only up to a 3 Star quality. In contrast, the suite with lake view was very nicely appointed and comfortable with separate bath and shower, updated bedlinens and an overall fresh feeling. If you stayed in this category of room you probably would come away with a much better impression. Even though they charge a lower rate for the lakeside rooms there is no excuse for the poor standard.

As has been noted before by other reviewers the food is of a high standard and most of the staff are friendly and professional, the front desk staff could do with more consistency.

Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank NewYorkTraveller000
Durham
Reviewed 4 September 2009

Stayed here for 2 nights as a base for visiting The ring of Kerry. When we first arrived I was dissapointed as the hotel is not the nicest I have seen... and then you go through the door and wow you are greeted by a gorgeous huge open fire and very comfortable sofas. Having just returned from the Maldives, Aghadoe Heights had something to beat and guess what it equalled it. The room was lovely with a huge picture window overlooking the lake, the views was lovely and very serene. The hotel is quiet and refined and the food is well cooked and served. Breakfast was delightful and really set you up for the day.The pool and gym were clean and pleasant to use with plenty of towels ect.

All in all Aghadoe Heights quite rightly deserves its 5star rating and delivers a 5star service in every respect. Yes it is expensive but you are getting superior accommodation and service.

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Durhamlady13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aghadoe
The Europe Hotel & Resort
#11 of 38 in Killarney
Killeen House Hotel
Killeen House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Aghadoe

Been to Aghadoe Heights Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!