“Great Hosts!!! Fantastic food - and lots of it!!”

Killeen House Hotel & Rozzers Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Aghadoe
Reviewed 1 September 2009

My mother and I stayed her in August for 2 nights. Upon arrival we were greeted and shown to our room. Twin share room was a double bed and a single bed with a TV and bathroom with shower above bath. Great quality for 3 star! The staff at this hotel and extraordinarily friendly and helpful! We enjoyed our breakfast both mornings - generous servings of pastries, scones and irish soda bread was served along with a cooked breakfast if you wished - full irish, sweet pancakes & a wide selection of meals including fish! Or cereal if you preferred a lighter option. They even have a takeaway option if you don't have time to sit down and eat. We could have had a 3 course meal in the evenings which would have cost 50 euro per person, there was also the option to have a lighter meal prepared if we did not want a 3 course meal. It appeared that a lot of golfers would stay at Killeen House as it had a lot of golfing paraphernalia up around the property. The building itself was very well maintained with very well manicured gardens. A sitting room situated at the front of the house had couches and a TV and computer. WIFI was available throughout the hotel which was a real plus!! The only down-side was that there were no tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms themselves and it cost 3 euros to order one. Also, when booking be aware that the property is situated out of town and you would need a car to get into the main town of Killarney. The car park could also be a bit bigger. Saying that we had a fantastic stay and I would recommend this property to anyone looking for a peaceful holiday in Ireland - close to the lakes and golf courses and the town of Killarney.

• Stayed: August 2009
2  Thank Brewer200

Reviewed 28 August 2009

My grown son and I stayed at the Killen House for four nights in August, playing golf around the Southwest Coast. I have read the recent reviews below, and none are exaggerated. Michael and Geraldine are just pros at taking care of you during your stay, though it really just starts with them. They have a handful of staff -- Charlie and Teresa and Jessica among others -- who will take care of whatever needs taking care of, and make sure you enjoy every minute of it. They are all fun to be with.

The Killeen House is small and cozy. You'll see and talk to just about everyone else there -- we were there with "LostandLoud," the folks from New Jersey. You can't escape from anyone, and you shouldn't want to. The hosts expect to know how your day was and will offer any help they can to make it more enjoyable. Michael made our tee times at all the courses (and fixed it quickly when we screwed up and went to the wrong course at the wrong time). The rooms aren't luxury (and certainly not large), but they are clean and comfortable and very adequate. The food is excellent (eat the steak sandwich!). The property is beautiful -- the morning view of the mountains is spectacular. "Downtown" Killarney is 10 minutes away. So, if you want to be at the center of the most beautiful part of Ireland, it doesn't get much better.

It was just really, really nice!

• Stayed: August 2009
1  Thank CBCfromPhilly
Reviewed 25 August 2009

By way of background I have stayed at dozens of Bed and Breakfast places in the US and a few in the UK and Ireland. Killeen House stands alone in comfort and sheer hospitality. Mike and Geraldine literally treat you like family.

Others have spoken about how nice the place is and how great the food so I will not comment on this apart from saying I fully endorse the sentiments. What I will share with you is an incident that illustrates how caring they are.

I had rented a car and had an accident that disabled it a few miles from Killeen House. Geraldine immediately dropped what she was doing to come and be with me and my family. We were somewhat rattled and this was VERY reassuring. Mike arrived a few minutes later and moved the car off the road and took us back to the inn. He called the rental company and arranged for the damaged car to be picked up. He was also on the phone trying to get us a replacement car and, literally, went to battle for us. He showed us what we could do without a car by way of sightseeing and kept us constantly updated on our situation re the car rental company.

Mike's take was simple - he is in the hospitality business and he wants every actor to behave as he would to make the traveler/tourist experience a super one. The car rental company behaved atrociously and i am still combating the charges. Mike, of his own accord, offered to be a witness for us. I have not had to avail of this since I am an AmEx
Platinum member and they are excellent in customer service - but it was more than decent of him to offer.

There are so many instances of how EVERYONE went out of their ways to make us feel at home. We saw a movie the evening that our car was damaged since we couldn't do the sightseeing that we had planned. Jess called a cab driver who charged less than the regular rate both ways. Another member of staff - I regret I do not remember his name - commiserated with our experience and brought tea and cakes to help us feel better. I am not sure what Mike and Geraldine do to make sure that ALL their employees are so solicitous, but boy does it work. I am tempted to go back just to study what they do and teach my business clients to do the same.

In short, I recommend Killeen House unreservedly. Stay there. You will not regret it. And if, as often happens in Ireland, you get dreary, rainy weather, you will be especially glad that you picked such a place because they will make your spirits perk up.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Srikumar S. Rao srikumarsrao@gmail.com

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank Ickenham2
Reviewed 25 August 2009

Lovely people, great welcoming and their bar stays open until October !!
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We took a championship room with an extra rollaway bed, but my son found this a bit bumpy and Geraldine quickly arranged for a single bed to be brought in from another room. All of the staff were so helpful, all of the time.
The restaurant was superb, breakfast was scrummy and loads of it. The chef was helpful with sorting out food for the kids. His savoury scones were out of this world. I was delighted to find the recipe on their website and have since made some at home.
The location was awesome too.
We will be back.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Biryani_Baloney
Reviewed 17 August 2009

Best experience with a hotel I've ever had. A warm, friendly atmosphere reaches out into the parking lot before you even reach the front door. You feel like you're staying at a friend's house, not a hotel. Friendly, efficient staff make sure your stay is as pleasant as possible and the personable management makes you feel right at home. Impeccably clean with delicious food and drink. A real Irish experience and by far the best choice for the Killarney area.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank LostandLoud
Reviewed 6 August 2009

Michael and Geraldine rightly deserve all the accolades heaped o9n them by their other guests/reviewers. There is little we can add other than to verify that it is all true. Thios is a difficult year for the tourism industry but Killeen House manage to continue to provide the best of service - and don't let's forget t he food which was superb. The fillet steak was top notch

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2009

What an incredible trip! If you want to experience Ireland at it's finest, you won't do better than the Killeen House. They think of every detail. Michael and Geraldine and their staff may be the last of a dying breed...but I sure hope not. The Killeen House is everything you want from a real bed and breakfast experience. The food is incredible, the rooms are clean and beautiful...truly a home away from home. Our hosts knew exactly where to send us depending on what we were looking for that day from tours to golf to exploring the Irish coastline on our own. I think part of what makes this place stand out is how much Michael and Geraldine seem to love what they do. It seems to be more than a career to them. It's more like a mission. One that they accomplish on every level. Don't miss this place!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Careycc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aghadoe
The Killarney Park Hotel
Aghadoe Heights Hotel & Spa
3 mi away
International Hotel Killarney
The Europe Hotel & Resort

Been to Killeen House Hotel & Rozzers Restaurant? Share your experiences!